LED Mirror Indicators

Dean's A3

TDI S3 Hybrid
Reaction score
Hi Peeps!

I have installed new Led mirror indicators to an 06 sportback, I will deleting the wing indicators shortly and activating the LED ones, would someone please help me out and let me know the correct procedure after coding as I' sure I'll get a bulb error warning on the DIS as the LED's draw less current than that of the wing ones? I have an F power module if that helps...

:sos:

Many thanks!

for starters you require new door modules (cant remember the revision but i think its M and above) you wont get a bulb error but you will have to leave bulbs in the wing looms (im trying to work out a workaround), and you will need to trim the frame of your new mirrors slightly (check with scottie on this, as ive replaced with 09 doors i have no problems), if you dont want to get new modules (i belive theyre approx 180 from audi a side#0 you will have to tap into your central convenience module (again scotties your man to consult for which pin)

Nice one Phil, trust you to come to the rescue lol!

I could not use M door modules if I wanted to get back into the car, I have had the LED folding mirrors for a while but had not activated the indicators due to having them on the wings (no trimming was necessary in my case though) but the time to do so is coming up now so I'm trying to prempt any problems. I was coincidentally thinking about your suggestion but wanted to check there was no other alternative.

Please let me know if you find a workaround, I might have something to show you in a few days by the way...

ooo do tell, why can you not use the modules, i was aware of a romour of them being dody with locks but after a discussion with nhn youre fine once both modules are fitted, at least i hope so ive got them on mine :p

as for the trimmin i donnno why scottie needed to perhaps they revised something on the sportbacks, i may hop on etka this weekend need to researcha few parts ready for the the return of the motor

Hmm I was having a look at wing mirrors from facelifts and i didn't know why you had to trim them either... They look the same.

And OMG does this mean it's coming next week?! You lucky lucky boy!!

The 3 and 5 door have different part numbers, I found out the hard way :)

Ah, that expains it! So I take it you have no error on your DIS Scottie or are you running both pairs of indicators?

so just to confirm scottie, if you have a 3dr you don't need to trim down the wing mirror holder plate thingies to get the housings to fit?

Ah, that expains it! So I take it you have no error on your DIS Scottie or are you running both pairs of indicators?

The side repeaters are still connected. They are wrapped up out of the way behind the arch liner. So every time I use my indicators, the spiders living in there have a disco party :)

so just to confirm scottie, if you have a 3dr you don't need to trim down the wing mirror holder plate thingies to get the housings to fit?

Not sure if it works that way. I fitted 3 door ones to my sportback, and they required modding to fit. I cant say for sure whether it would be the same the other way round, but I think it would be likely.

The side repeaters are still connected. They are wrapped up out of the way behind the arch liner. So every time I use my indicators, the spiders living in there have a disco party :)

Lmaol! Thanks for the confirmation Scottie, this seems to be the consensus for the DIS error cure.

Not sure if it works that way. I fitted 3 door ones to my sportback, and they required modding to fit. I cant say for sure whether it would be the same the other way round, but I think it would be likely.

I can confirm if you buy Sportback indicator mirrors they fit spot on for it. I take it that it's the same for the 3 door.

Yes you can use facelift door modules on earlier cars, you have to fit to both doors & also rewire existing pins to suit, they work 100% as I have done this to get the mirrors working oem & there are no issues with locks, anyone that has issues with locks hasnt rewired either at all or not properly, they're not plug & play.

You can decode the side indicators with vagcom fairly easily, also done on mine.

Yes me & Scottie found out the hard way, we both fitted the opposites of what we needed, thus trimming things down to fit, I am remedying this now as I have an SB aswell & have got some 3dr versions to fit to my A3 & stick my current ones on the SB.

so there are different wing mirrors for the 3dr and SB? and as long as you get 3dr for a 3dr they fit straight onto the old plates? i'm confused lol

so there are different wing mirrors for the 3dr and SB? and as long as you get 3dr for a 3dr they fit straight onto the old plates? i'm confused lol

Yes and yes!

Yes you can use facelift door modules on earlier cars, you have to fit to both doors & also rewire existing pins to suit, they work 100% as I have done this to get the mirrors working oem & there are no issues with locks, anyone that has issues with locks hasnt rewired either at all or not properly, they're not plug & play.

You can decode the side indicators with vagcom fairly easily, also done on mine.

Yes me & Scottie found out the hard way, we both fitted the opposites of what we needed, thus trimming things down to fit, I am remedying this now as I have an SB aswell & have got some 3dr versions to fit to my A3 & stick my current ones on the SB.

Ah, I think I see where I went wrong, I never rewired door modules at all! I just changed the door modules to suit as dealer was kind enough to let me change them!

Which brings me to the DIS issue then if you can just code to suit then without having quad indicators... :idea:

There are 3 mirrors types, 3dr, 5dr & cab, all have different backplate sizes aswell as different black plastic front plate sizes to suit the doors.

no probs. cheers. i'm sourcing these and door modules so now i know what i'm meant to be looking for...

PM prices? just want standard painted (Phantom) dumbos, tho i don't think the MY11 lights look all that bad in black so if they're a similar price then we'll go for those instead. don't want any fancy folding or dimming gubbins, just the standard heated mirrors. cheers nigel!

nige when you refer to decoding the wing repeaters, this would disable them completely, band give no errors when bulbless or is it still detected by the cold circuit on ignition priming?

I'll check, as I just disabled & didnt have any errors, but then I didnt remove the bulb, do later.

I managed to source a pair of 3 door ied indicator mirrors and intend to fit them into the SB.
Please advice the potential issues and if it will be obvious on the outside of a ill fitting?

3dr arent a plugnplay fit on a 5dr, you have to cut the metal inside to fit, should of got 5dr version tbh.

Reactions: blackcruiser