Chris NottAH Fabrications
    Reverse Gear

Status

Illuminated Gear Knob and Steering wheel project

Hi Guys, I recently changed the gear knob of my A3 and I thought i would share it as it looks really good. Unfortunately the pictures don't do it justice as it is hard to take photos in the dark. I would recommend to anyone to buy one of the gear knobs. I bought it from a guy on eBay and he was very helpful and can pretty much make any design you want. They look very professional and could pass for Audi made. 49.99 but worth it!

Here is a link eBay Gear Knob

One question i have is that I attached the light to the cigarette lighter, which means it is always on. Does anyone know where I can find engine power near the area of the gear stick to power it from, so it only comes on when I start the ignition?

I am thinking of upgrading my steering wheel, I have a 2004 A3 2.0 TDI. I currently have a standard one that does not control the radio or anything like that. I want to put an S-line wheel on instead, can I do this? Will it fit?

Also there is an s-line one on
    (Link to wheel with controls)
    That has radio controls on it, is there any way I can connect this to the radio system? What do I need to buy? Or should I buy a plane s-line steering wheel
    (Link to Standard wheel)

2. # ADS
    ADS

(●̮̮̃̃) (●̮̮̃̃)

Status
    take the feed for the light from the leds behind your heater controls.

Neither of them wheels will work on your car. Well the airbag wont any way, Which in my opinion is quite important ( i am presuming yours is a split grill model being 2004 )

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by scottie123 View Post
    take the feed for the light from the leds behind your heater controls.

Neither of them wheels will work on your car. Well the airbag wont any way, Which in my opinion is quite important ( i am presuming yours is a split grill model being 2004 )
    Of course yea I will hook it up to the heater controls! thanks

So would I need to buy the airbag as well? or will the connections not be compatible? If so it is getting too expensive for my liking.

2nd Gear

Status
    i have a similair gear knob m8, which i got from german ebay, its a good quality item and it looks great when lit, nice one m8

cal

is a retronaut

Status
    Haven't seen one of those since my mate had a 1.0 Corsa...
    8P2 S3

For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

5th Gear

Status
    Ive never seen an 8P with single DIN and no climate looks odd!

I think Audi should make an illuminated 'knob make for their S/RS cars .
    A3 2.0TFSI quattro Sportback Lava Grey | | GIAC K03 Extreme Map | Autotech HPFP | RS4 Fuel Regulator | Neuspeed P-Flo | BSH PCV Fix | MV Sport DP | S3 Intake Cam | 285 BHP & 320 lb Ft Torque
    Votex Kit | TD Pro race 1.2 | Schwarze Audi Rings | Alu Rails | Sachs Clutch | H & R Now gone. Current- A5 Cab 2012

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by kvnhawk View Post
    So would I need to buy the airbag as well? or will the connections not be compatible? If so it is getting too expensive for my liking.
    right the issue is that your car has a single stage airbag. if you have an accident of a certain severity >>> airbag goes off.
    newer cars have a dual stage airbag. if you have an accident the airbag has two deployment stages to deal with it. 8P2 cars (and the wheel you mention) all have dual stage airbags.

you can wire the single stage into one of those but there's no guarantee it'll go off. there are professionals who do it tho and guarantee they'll have the single stage working on the dual stage system. whether you trust them or not is up to you but going down the professional fitting route is the only way i'd recommend this modification.

and yes no matter what you'll need a new airbag. most of the wheels on eBay come with an airbag too tho.
    2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line.
    DSG | 18" BBS Pescaras | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | Symphony II | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
    MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Weitec Hicon GTs | RNS-E 2010 | Controls Pack (Red Stitching)
    PLANS: Dumbos | 8P3 S-Line Rear Bumper | OEM Parking Sensors

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:
    2005 Ebony Black A3 1.6 Sport tiptronic. You will be missed!
    1997 BMW 316i Coupe M-Sport. You won't be missed quite so much!

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks sub39h for clearing that up, I dont think it is worth taking a risk with the air-bag, I shall pass on this mod. I will have to find another project to occupy my time!

Thanks
    Kevin
    Audi A3 2004 1.9 TDI, Red

Sharpest Tongue in the West

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Staz View Post
    Haven't seen one of those since my mate had a 1.0 Corsa...
    The latest shape (mk3) MX5s have them, dependent on spec.
    Porsche Cayman S |Jeep Grand Cherokee|1988 Ford Fiesta XR2

www.essexdriversclub.com