Starting Audi A3 2.0 TDI

S3mad

Dark Knight
Reaction score
Hi all ,

i have a Audi A3 which is a few years old when i start the car in the morning it starts straight away fine but if i stop and then turn the car over again it takes a few sec's more to start the car ? Could this be the battery as its fine when i start it when its been sitting a while ?:ermm:

Does this only happen only when the engine is warm/hot?
If your battery is o.k, then it is most probably a worn starter motor (quite a common problem).
Regards,
Scott.

Definitely starter motor. Very common on this engine

Check ebay - usually loads at reasonable prices

I had a look at the battery and the eye was black so its not green ... Starter motor if it was this then it wouldnt start straight away it has problems when its warm say i drive 20min and then park up for a few minutes and then start again ....

Yes but how do we know this is the cause ?
i dont want to spend out loads if i dont need it ?

You don't !

You'll have to get a further opinion. There are loads of threads on this forum about hot starting problems and 99% are down to starter motor.

Good luck !

i have the same problem and it looks like its the motor starter that is causing this so i am changing it soon and hope it solves the problem

Last edited:
Any idea's of cost im wondering weather to get it changed as it starts fine but when hot a few turns ...

at audi starter motor costs at around £170 and at euro car parts same starter motor costs at around £120 plus labour job which is pretty easy to do

new battery and starter helped to make mine start better..

when diesel engine is cold it injects fuel to help start and when engine is warm it does not

i changed starter about ahout ago and started warm ok then changed battery recently as battery was shot and starts 90% better

BKD engine it is ,

its not to bad at the moment im not changing unless it gets really bad just takes a few sec's more ...