Monster MotorsportVolks Autos
    Reverse Gear

Status

Single DIN OEM options

Hi all,

I have a 05 (8P) A3 and it comes with a single DIN concert (see attached pic).

What other OEM options can I change this to? (Not looking at after market at this stage). Is there any single DIN that comes with MP3 compatibility?

I'm guessing a double DIN isnt going to fit?

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    i'm guessing you have a chorus. the only option is the concert II. my understanding is that the chorus only came with 2 front speakers or something tho so to get the most out of it you might wanna look at aftermarket speakers at least.

in regards to double DIN, no it won't fit but you can swap your centre console and the cage you need is readily available on eBay. just look for anyone breaking an A3. all models after about '07 came with double DIN units so they're fairly easy to find. it's not a small job tho. have a look around the forum because there's guides and stuff kicking around. you'll also need to get a new climate control unit or trim your current one to fit so defos not for the faint of heart.

finally, there's a company in bradford who'll install you an OEM nav system and get all the double DIN stuff in for you for around 800 so that's another option.

good luck and post photos with your progress.
    2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line.
    DSG | 18" BBS Pescaras | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | Symphony II | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
    MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Weitec Hicon GTs | RNS-E 2010 | Controls Pack (Red Stitching)
    PLANS: Dumbos | 8P3 S-Line Rear Bumper | OEM Parking Sensors

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:
    2005 Ebony Black A3 1.6 Sport tiptronic. You will be missed!
    1997 BMW 316i Coupe M-Sport. You won't be missed quite so much!

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks! Found the instructions for a single to double din conversion - looks like a fair bit of work...

The stereo says 'Audi Concert' so I guess it's a concert II.... the stock stereo and speakers aren't very good

6th Gear

Status
    right well depending on how much money you have available the first port of call would be better speakers i reckon. then when you have a bit more cash consider swapping for RNS-E. there's no point in an intermediate step. it's gonna cost you the same money and you won't get nav at the end of it.
    DSG | 18" BBS Pescaras | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | Symphony II | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
    MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Weitec Hicon GTs | RNS-E 2010 | Controls Pack (Red Stitching)

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:

Reverse Gear

Status
    RNS-E on ebay goes for around GBP400... hmmm...

Reverse Gear

Status
    what size are the front speakers? 6.5"?

Status
    RNSe won't get you any better quality, same feeble spec as the Concert. Upgrading the speakers is pointless unless you amp them as the stock HU only has 2 x 20w peak, that's about 2 x 12wrms.
    Yes the stock speakers are 6.5" all round, but you need fitting adapters if you go aftermarket:
    Audi A3/S3 8P MDF front speaker adapters 6.5" component on eBay (end time 30-Aug-10 15:00:00 BST)
    "How to tear apart the ties that bind, perhaps fcuk off might be too kind"
    Alex Turner

6th Gear

Status
    i've heard RNS-E does give you slightly better quality. subjective, i know, but at least you can be fairly certain it's not gonna be any worse

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyMac View Post
    RNSe won't get you any better quality, same feeble spec as the Concert.
    A touch jaded, are we?

RNS-E is 4-channel plus sub.

If he's go the 2-channel and no sub, I'd say that going NAV and adding the rears and subs will make a transformational difference.

...but what do I know?