Sky InsuranceChris Nott
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 54
  1. #1
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    East Manchester In the Hills !
    Posts
    677

    DO I have BOSE ?

    I have an A3 Sportback Sport with lots and lots of factory extras on it. (07 Plate)

    I was giving the car a good detail today and was vaccing out the boot with the stereo on. I stuck my head in the boot and the bass was really intense and seemed to be coming from the nearside panel in the boot area.

    I have the Symphony II+ stereo which is a 6 CD Changer (MP3) but none of the speakers have the little bose badges on them.

    Does anyone know if you have a sub, you must have BOSE or did Audi do a non BOSE system which came with a sub in the boot.
    I havent peeled off the panel yet as it looks a swine to remove, but there is definitely something back there.

    I must say it does sound pretty good, albeit the wife moans that it defeaning our little one !

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    Pii
    Pii's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    London
    Posts
    748
    I was under the impression that you could have a sub without BOSE.

  4. #3
    jungleman's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    SW London
    Posts
    2,051
    Quote Originally Posted by Pii View Post
    I was under the impression that you could have a sub without BOSE.
    same here, and am pretty suer tehy would have bose on the speaker covers

    when you crank up the music, can you hear music coming out of teh center of the dash as the bose has a speaker there as well?

  5. #4
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    East Manchester In the Hills !
    Posts
    677
    Quote Originally Posted by Pii View Post
    I was under the impression that you could have a sub without BOSE.
    Honest ?

    If you can then thats another extra someones paid for on the car without me knowing before I bought it - BONUS !

    I suppose I need to lift the trim out of the boot and take a peek !

  6. #5
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    17
    Don't all A3's have a sub in the boot? Bose is just an upgrade, slightly better sub??

  7. #6
    Pii
    Pii's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    London
    Posts
    748
    I think the Symphony with inbuilt 6 CD changer model definately came with the extra rear speakers and the sub but none of which are BOSE without a further upgrade.

  8. #7
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    East Manchester In the Hills !
    Posts
    677
    Quote Originally Posted by Pii View Post
    I think the Symphony with inbuilt 6 CD changer model definately came with the extra rear speakers and the sub but none of which are BOSE without a further upgrade.
    to be honest - If this is not BOSE, then why bother. I think it sounds excellent. Far far better than my mk5 golf. the stereo in that is shoot compared to the audi

  9. #8
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Telford
    Posts
    2,488
    Unless you get the really low spec A3, all of them come with a sub! Mine has the low spec single DIN concert and it comes with sub.

    Also if you have BOSE, it will say so on the stereos LCD display when you turn it on.
    B6 1.8T Avant s line gmbh

  10. #9
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Florida (previously Liverpool)
    Posts
    655
    ALL A3's sold in the states have a sub. There are two types of sub: BOSE and non-BOSE.

    Since I hod that BOSE's slogan should not be "Better sound through research". but instead "Better profits through marketing", I don't care for the BOSE system. You'll never find BOSE equipment in an even halfway-decent recording studio, for example.

    Nobody spent any extra... the concert 2+ drives front speakers, and the rear speakers and sub are handled by a
    separate amplifier pack. That's how it came from the factory.

    If you had a BLOWS system, it would say so on the radio screen on power-up. In addition, the speaker grilles would also announce the fact.

    Keith

  11. #10
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    161
    Quote Originally Posted by VWAddict View Post
    If you had a BLOWS system, it would say so on the radio screen on power-up. In addition, the speaker grilles would also announce the fact.

    Keith
    The svc people at the dealer knocked one of my grill's Bose logo loose the last time I was there. Should I go back to get it fixed so that I could keep up my car's BLOWSE status, thus its resale value?

  12. #11
    Pii
    Pii's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    London
    Posts
    748
    BOSE won't necessaily show BOSE on the stereo guys. My one didn't but I read here that it's just coding on vagcom.

    LWNY I would get them to fix it - irrespective of the quality it is still a feature of the car you wish to resell.

  13. #12
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    161
    Quote Originally Posted by Pii View Post
    LWNY I would get them to fix it - irrespective of the quality it is still a feature of the car you wish to resell.
    Yeah, that is the least of the prob, I saw some light keying on my hood, keying around the key area in the driver's door and some small paint chips (let alone the grease mark in my car, steering wheel and spilled drinks by the ashtray area).

  14. #13
    Pii
    Pii's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    London
    Posts
    748

  15. #14
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Florida (previously Liverpool)
    Posts
    655
    Quote Originally Posted by Pii View Post
    BOSE won't necessaily show BOSE on the stereo guys. My one didn't but I read here that it's just coding on vagcom.
    It's just logo coding... as well as preset EQ settings. That's all.

    Keith

  16. #15
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,502
    if you don't have BOSE then it's no great loss tbh. i've had it in both my cars and as a no-work-required sound system it's ok. but if you want good sound it doesn't matter when you have BOSE or not cos you'll be changing the whole lot anyway.
    2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line.
    DSG | 18" BBS Pescaras | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | Symphony II | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
    MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Weitec Hicon GTs | RNS-E 2010 | Controls Pack (Red Stitching)
    PLANS: Dumbos | 8P3 S-Line Rear Bumper | OEM Parking Sensors


    GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:
    2005 Ebony Black A3 1.6 Sport tiptronic. You will be missed!
    1997 BMW 316i Coupe M-Sport. You won't be missed quite so much!

  17. #16
    S3 MRU's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Luton, Bedfordshire
    Posts
    756
    Where is this so called sub located in the rear of the a3? i have a 53 plate single din concert sport model.. will my a3 have a bass speaker?

  18. #17
    Pii
    Pii's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    London
    Posts
    748
    In the boot - passenger side covered by carpet. Turn up the volume, open the boot and put your hand onto the side wall to see if there is any pressure. If you cant feel or hear anything then you don't have it.

  19. #18
    netr's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Ljubljana, Slovenia
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by Pii View Post
    In the boot - passenger side covered by carpet. Turn up the volume, open the boot and put your hand onto the side wall to see if there is any pressure. If you cant feel or hear anything then you don't have it.
    But it is more likely your speaker is broken or disconnected. I haven't seen an A3 8P without a bass speaker in the back...

    Quote Originally Posted by jungleman View Post
    same here, and am pretty suer tehy would have bose on the speaker covers

    when you crank up the music, can you hear music coming out of teh center of the dash as the bose has a speaker there as well?
    I don't have Bose, but I have the center speaker in the dash...

  20. #19
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    East Manchester In the Hills !
    Posts
    677
    Seems like I may have opened a can of worms !

    You dont need to feel the side of the car inside the boot. Just stick your head in, youll know if you have a working sub as the bass just reverberates

  21. #20
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Florida (previously Liverpool)
    Posts
    655
    I have a centre speaker and a sub, and NO BOSE also...

    BOSE - Brand marketing. Don't buy in.

    Keith

  22. #21
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    161
    That thing is the side of the trunk is not a subwoofer, but a submidrange. But for the brits that are content with 6" woofers in their main speakers, they probably wouldn't be missing much.

  23. #22
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    234
    I think BOSE is a very good system, at least in the A3. I would buy it again.
    In order to find out which extras your A3 has, open the boot, lift the liner. You will find a sticker with a lot of codes, which indicate which extras your car came out of the factory with.

  24. #23
    paddy's Avatar
    Audi=No fault code, no idea

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    5,135
    Its mostly down to the head unit. I had a symphony II and it was superb with BOSE but after changing to an RNSE the sound quality is very poor compared to the symphony. And yes i did wire the BOSE back in with the RNSE. Peoploe are quick to blame BOSE for sound quality but if you have an rnse then the sound quality is never going to be as good as a Symphony what ever your amp set up.
    Ibis white Revo S3 and now matching Vivaro LWB HR 2900 :-)

    Many people are alive because its illegal to shoot them.

  25. #24
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    138
    Quote Originally Posted by GConn View Post
    I think BOSE is a very good system, at least in the A3. I would buy it again.
    In order to find out which extras your A3 has, open the boot, lift the liner. You will find a sticker with a lot of codes, which indicate which extras your car came out of the factory with.
    I can't find a code for Bose. Mine has it, I have the speaker logos and the Bose pin into the back of my Concert II+ but I've put all my codes into:

    http://igorweb.org/equidec/Default.aspx

    And they all seem to be recognised but none as Bose.
    8P2 A3 2.0T FSI S line Special Edition Sportback S tronic 2007MY. Black. Concert II+ & Bose.

  26. #25
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    234
    I'll try out your link later in the afternoon when I go home, as I have BOSE too.

  27. #26
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    East Manchester In the Hills !
    Posts
    677
    Quote Originally Posted by paddy View Post
    Its mostly down to the head unit. I had a symphony II and it was superb with BOSE but after changing to an RNSE the sound quality is very poor compared to the symphony. And yes i did wire the BOSE back in with the RNSE. Peoploe are quick to blame BOSE for sound quality but if you have an rnse then the sound quality is never going to be as good as a Symphony what ever your amp set up.
    I think the Symphony II+ without the BOSE sounds excellent. Best standard stereo I have heard in a car that doesnt cost over 30K

  28. #27
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Florida (previously Liverpool)
    Posts
    655
    Quote Originally Posted by paddy View Post
    Peoploe are quick to blame BOSE for sound quality but if you have an rnse then the sound quality is never going to be as good as a Symphony what ever your amp set up.
    I too have converted from Symphony to RNS-E, and I have to disagree completely with your statement.

    I think that LWNY also converted to RNS-E; along with several others... You're the ONLY person I've ever encountered who makes this assertion.

    Keith

  29. #28
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    161
    I did convert from Symphony II to RNS-E, can't say sound quality change is much better. Its like saying Bose Accoustic Mass sounds better than their clock radio. The only major thing I noticed is that Audiopilot sound modification on the RNS-E was more noticeable.

  30. #29
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    East Manchester In the Hills !
    Posts
    677
    I have just gone from a Symphony to RNSe Bose set up and quite frankly the non Bose system in my other A3 sounds miles better.

    The BOSE just sounds so flat. No real huge bass or treble.

  31. #30
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Florida (previously Liverpool)
    Posts
    655
    Bose.

    "Better sound through marketing"

    Branding.

    Don't buy in.

  32. #31
    The Governor's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    436
    My 2011 BE has Bose and it's pretty cack. I've even started to consider it might be faulty, but these sorts of qualititive judgements ould be impossible to demonstrate to a dealer.

    Speaker distortion listening to speech, weak bass and muddy trebles.

    I have said before on here, my 2009 E90 3 series had the standard business edition stereo and it was 100% better than the A3 Bose.

  33. #32
    PaulAr's Avatar
    S3 (8P)

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Tyne & Wear
    Posts
    4,049
    Quote Originally Posted by The Governor View Post
    My 2011 BE has Bose and it's pretty cack. I've even started to consider it might be faulty, but these sorts of qualititive judgements ould be impossible to demonstrate to a dealer.

    Speaker distortion listening to speech, weak bass and muddy trebles.

    I have said before on here, my 2009 E90 3 series had the standard business edition stereo and it was 100% better than the A3 Bose.
    Definately sounds like a problem.

    I had the stock BMW system on my 2010 320 with Professional Nav just a few month back and the sound quality was very poor compared to the BOSE I have now on a 2012 S3. It distorted like hell when cranked up, however the rest of the system (Hard drive, Nav etc..) was fantastic and made the RNSE seem prehistoric.

    Im sure the A3/S3 BOSE isnt the best out there but it is appreciably better than a stock 3 series system and indeed previous MK5 Golf Gtis with stock systems I have owned.

    The only `similar` thing I can compare it to is an A5 with B&O and that was very good, although not to the point where my BOSE system sounded poo when I got back into the car.

    Paul
    Now:
    -MK2 Golf Gti 16V/VR6, Oak Green, Shrick, Intake, Decat, Kish Retrim, Lenso BSX..
    -BMW 335d Xdrive, Estoril Blue, fully loaded.

    Before:
    S3 (8P), Ibis, DSG, Milltek, SHARK

    BMW 320d M Sport
    S3 (8P), Sprint, REVO, H&R Springs, BBS CHs,

    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - REVO Stage1, Red.
    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - Std, Shadow Blue
    Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK4 GTi 18T - 200bhp, MTM ECU, Forge DV
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    Corrado G60 - JAMEX, BRM Charger rebuild
    etc....

  34. #33
    The Governor's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    436
    I have no faith that something as subtle as sound quality will be possible to appreciate, my experience of techs is that they can't even diagnose the most obvious of faults, let alone sound quality issues!

  35. #34
    audicruiser's Avatar
    Audi Heaven

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    1,861
    Quote Originally Posted by lgooch View Post
    I have just gone from a Symphony to RNSe Bose set up and quite frankly the non Bose system in my other A3 sounds miles better.

    The BOSE just sounds so flat. No real huge bass or treble.
    What year is your car?
    Scott

    Audi A3 Sportback 2.0T Quattro S-Line 2007 8P2
    Lava Grey, Exclusive Line Black/Silver Leather, Heated Seats, Bose, RNS-e, iPod, Auto Lights & Wipers, Interior Light Pack

  36. #35
    PaulAr's Avatar
    S3 (8P)

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Tyne & Wear
    Posts
    4,049
    Quote Originally Posted by The Governor View Post
    I have no faith that something as subtle as sound quality will be possible to appreciate, my experience of techs is that they can't even diagnose the most obvious of faults, let alone sound quality issues!

    "...they all do that Sir..."
    Now:
    -MK2 Golf Gti 16V/VR6, Oak Green, Shrick, Intake, Decat, Kish Retrim, Lenso BSX..
    -BMW 335d Xdrive, Estoril Blue, fully loaded.

    Before:
    S3 (8P), Ibis, DSG, Milltek, SHARK

    BMW 320d M Sport
    S3 (8P), Sprint, REVO, H&R Springs, BBS CHs,

    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - REVO Stage1, Red.
    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - Std, Shadow Blue
    Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK4 GTi 18T - 200bhp, MTM ECU, Forge DV
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    Corrado G60 - JAMEX, BRM Charger rebuild
    etc....

  37. #36
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    East Manchester In the Hills !
    Posts
    677
    Quote Originally Posted by audicruiser View Post
    What year is your car?
    2012. It is 2 week old

  38. #37
    rOb_A's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    cheshire
    Posts
    1,485
    Goochy lad, the Bose in my BE has lots of bass. seems weird all of the RSNe/Bose issue, its like a black art science that no one understands

  39. #38
    Artimus's Avatar
    Short Back

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    1,869
    Very happy with the volume & quality of my BOSE system. As an OEM fitment it's one of the best I've heard. Those that say it sounds 'Flat' either haven't adjusted the basic 3 band EQ (on a Concert II+), are playing poor quality media or maybe there's an issue with it.

    It may not be after-market - shake the neighbourhood - Boom Box loud, but it's more than enough for high levels & quality Treble & deep rumbling Bass.
    ................................................
    2009 A3 SB 2.0T DSG S line
    ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

  40. #39
    audigex's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    556
    Quote Originally Posted by VWAddict View Post
    Since I hod that BOSE's slogan should not be "Better sound through research". but instead "Better profits through marketing", I don't care for the BOSE system. You'll never find BOSE equipment in an even halfway-decent recording studio, for example.
    You'll never find anyone trying to record an album in an Audi A3, either. Horses for courses and all that.
    Ibis White A3 Sportback Black Edition.
    2.0 TDI (170) Quattro
    Pics


  41. #40
    The Governor's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    436
    Quote Originally Posted by Artimus View Post
    Very happy with the volume & quality of my BOSE system. As an OEM fitment it's one of the best I've heard. Those that say it sounds 'Flat' either haven't adjusted the basic 3 band EQ (on a Concert II+), are playing poor quality media or maybe there's an issue with it.

    It may not be after-market - shake the neighbourhood - Boom Box loud, but it's more than enough for high levels & quality Treble & deep rumbling Bass.
    I have adjusted mine, and my sources are a minimum of 256k MP3's delivered via AUX or the CD. I don't listen to drum 'n' bass, more like Elbow, Starsailor, Seth Lakeman, in other words music where dynamic range is more important than when listening to dance music.

    Mine definitely cannot handle that sort of music very well, as I also said, listening Radio 4 can be a bit raspy at times, depending on who is talking.

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO