Getting fed up

smudge_don

Reaction score
As some of you know, i seem to have endless problems with my A3, and it's getting to a point now where it's just annoying me

Ever since i can remember, i get a weird rubbing/knocking noise at slow speeds when the car has been sat overnight or for a long time. You can feel it through the pedals, especially when reversing and on full lock

I've had 3 garages look at it and they can't work out what it is, so i kinda gave up and lived with it

Now i've got this vibrating problem over 60mph, where the entire car shakes but i get no steering wheel wobble. I had a tyre replaced that had a bulge in it, didn't help. Changed over the wheels to see if any of em were buckled, which they aren't...

Just getting to a point where i'm fed up of problems :(

Should i sell up and find something more practical? I would hate to see her go but i'm fed up of new things cropping up every week :bye:

How could you change to a more practical car than a A3 Derv.............

I know the feeling mate. My 8L S3 has just been an utter bitch from the word go to be honest.

Bought it - didn't get home as alternator shot.

Get it home, new alternator.
Find out AC Switch gone porous - £50 for a new one.
Coil wiring causes endless coil pack problems. Fix that.
Fit intercooler, bend con rod & smash a chunk off the block. New engine & rebuild with forged rods. £1400.
Develop knocking. Replace engine mounts, bottom ball joints, lower arm bushes, ARB bushes, drop links, front driveshafts.
Knocking turns out to be prop shaft.

In the process of replacing that at the moment and fitting some other bits as well.

And yet I still soldier on.... :(

Don't do it! I've had mine 7 months and had to have full service, cambelt, fuel pressure sensor, crank breather pipe, turbo hoses, battery, windscreen, CV boot and brake fluid done but still love it.

More to the point when you coming to bristol?

Don't do it smudge!

You car is lovely. Maybe change wheels as suggested to rule that out.

Welly, i think even i would have given up by now so fair play mate

Jord,
hang in there for a bit longer and get the opinion of the other troops mate we all know your car is a stunner and maybe someone who lives near you who owns a garage may help, lord knows you have helped enough people on this Forum :sign_unfair:

I dont think a new set of wheels is the answer, and i read the last thread with you looking for winter wheels and the caliper issue but if you could put a different set on and drive round for a bit to see if you have the same problem.

Got my fingers crossed for you mate

Mike

Jord stick old wheels back on & test plus raise her up a fair bit then test, I still think its the driveshaft area as it does it in neutral, thinking a shaft is bent.

WTF!! dont give up so easily! Do as suggested above for a starter! You will get to the bottom of it. Plus id have thought you've piled loads of money into the car now to see her go! Chin up and roll your sleeves up! Good Luck!

Who has looked at it dealers? does it get worse after 60mph?
i know there not near you but woulr be 99.9% confident stattler could get to the bottom of it if you could get car down and leave it with them,not sayin no one else could but i havnt used anyone else for years vecause no need to

Who has looked at it dealers? does it get worse after 60mph?
i know there not near you but woulr be 99.9% confident stattler could get to the bottom of it if you could get car down and leave it with them,not sayin no one else could but i havnt used anyone else for years vecause no need to

Audi dealer, and 2 independant garages that i know very well

Audi simply said "it's just too low"....how the feck is that the problem? Dicks

My other mechs just said they can't see anything that's wrong, all looks to be fine. And they checked EVERYTHING

Gonna raise it up a LOT this weekend just to see if that helps at all

Well i still have my A3 despite service cost exceeding its value !! well over 10k in 3 years. Its not that the A3 goes wrong more than any other car its just a nightmare when it does financially and the 3.2 is technically beyond your average main dealership. That probably applies to all A3's to be fair. Mine was nearly 2 months to fix a cam chain and its going to be another 2 months now to fix the body work because they cant get the parts !!! The spares back up is appalling.
My advice with cars like this is
A/ buy from a main dealer and extend the guarantee to the length of time you plan to keep it
B/ Never keep it beyond that time.
C/ Dont moan about things going wrong if you kept it out of warranty.
D/ Remember the guy that ran it for the first 3 years had all the benefit of running a reliable shinny Audi, you just picked up all his problems and paid a premium price for them as well..

I have been running about in a 1.2 Corsa for the last 6 weeks. As a tool it does everything the Audi does ! It will cruise at 85mph, it does 50mpg, it keeps up with the traffic flow on the commute and will break all speed limits at will. There is a skill to driving it fast and keeping on the boil ! You don’t even have to wash it because it looks crap clean or dirty. Inside its just as nice as an Audi and its got more room for the driver than an A3. Best of all you can buy a brand new one cheaper than An a A3 timing chain change,

Sounds like you're having some real issues there Paddy

The thing about mine though, is that it's problems that no one can seem to fix, at least your problems are known and they are working on fixing them. Just frustrates me when its a fecking mystery!!

Good luck with getting yours sorted too mate

Could it be bearings ? what mods has the car got ? lowered,coil overs etc? is it quattro ? i take it not as it doesnt say in your sig,at the end of the day it could be tensioner,pulley,engine/g-box mtg,power steering pump,but seems strange its only doing it at low or high speed so can see why there struggling to diagnose,stupid it may sound is there an empty car park where your mate can reverse your car(at slow speed) about with steering lock on with bonnet up while your perched on the engine cover ? ok a real health and saftey treat but has work on diagnostics in the past

Hi smudge..
It took them three months and three attempts to find the timing chain fault....Apart from the 7 weeks to fix it. Your problem , while totally different from mine boils down to the same thing....!the Audi motto…. No fault code, no idea.

My thinking is if you drop too low you might change the angle of the UJ';s and steering rack arm beyond their movement limits, expecially on full lock with the rack....just a thought ?

Could it be bearings ? what mods has the car got ? lowered,coil overs etc? is it quattro ? i take it not as it doesnt say in your sig,at the end of the day it could be tensioner,pulley,engine/g-box mtg,power steering pump,but seems strange its only doing it at low or high speed so can see why there struggling to diagnose,stupid it may sound is there an empty car park where your mate can reverse your car(at slow speed) about with steering lock on with bonnet up while your perched on the engine cover ? ok a real health and saftey treat but has work on diagnostics in the past

:laugh: sounds like a plan!

As you pointed out, could be a multitude of things, just a process of elimination

Hi smudge..
It took them three months and three attempts to find the timing chain fault....Apart from the 7 weeks to fix it. Your problem , while totally different from mine boils down to the same thing....!the Audi motto…. No fault code, no idea.

:laugh:

I have been running about in a 1.2 Corsa for the last 6 weeks. .......it does everything the Audi does ! ,

I really have heard it all now mate.
Did you fill the ashtray with Werthers Originals as well?:laugh:

I had a 10 plate A4 Derv Wagon as a loaner for a week.
Ok it was nice enough but I couldnt wait to get my car back.

Those Corsa`s must be amazing.:sly:

Time for a change I think Pad, nice Corsa merit in Mobility Blue:yes:??, nice.

cheers
Paul

Audi dealer, and 2 independant garages that i know very well

Audi simply said "it's just too low"....how the feck is that the problem? Dicks

My other mechs just said they can't see anything that's wrong, all looks to be fine. And they checked EVERYTHING

Gonna raise it up a LOT this weekend just to see if that helps at all

Well if the sterring angle is too low then the Driveshafts will take a hamering, Not sure on these but other cars I've done need shorter drop links, they can bang a bit. Are you sure you aren't bottoming any dampers?

Kevin

LMAO Phil - ASN vulture is back!

Well if the sterring angle is too low then the Driveshafts will take a hamering, Not sure on these but other cars I've done need shorter drop links, they can bang a bit. Are you sure you aren't bottoming any dampers?

Kevin

Ye i've looked into this as an option, but the droplinks seem to be fine

Dampers definately not bottoming out either

dibs on your brakes! :laugh:

:laugh: