JMB RetrofitsEM Tuning
    Neutral

Status

Removing grab handles/ashtray?

I'm about to replace the ashtray with a storage tray and I think I need to remove the grab handles either side of the gear level. I can feel a couple of holes, which I guess have screws but I can't imagine that they are the only things holding them so strongly. Does anyone have instructions on how to remove the grab handles and ash tray, and ideally the tools I'll need to do the job?

Cheers,
    Jim
    A3 8P 2.0 TDI (140ps) Sport DSG
    Factory | Sunroof | Xenons | Cruise | Parking sensors | Headlight washers | Red Vienna leather | Bose | Piano black inserts | Heated Seats | Electric lumbar | Front Arm Rest
    Retro | S-Line roof spoiler | 18" RS6 | Angel Tuning remap | ITG Performance Air Filter | RNS-E + Bluetooth | Tomtom iPhone car kit | Removable tow bar
    In progress | Ashtray deletion | Factory matched tints
    Wish list | MFSW | Auto wipers/lights | Auto dimming mirrors | Folding mirrors

2. # ADS
    ADS

is a retronaut

Status
    I found a thread on another site the other day but basically:

1. Remove the gear knob surround by pulling it from the front upwards
    2. Undo 3 screws per handle, 1 is under the surround, another in the hole you've found and the other is at the front under the centre console.
    8P2 S3

For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

Neutral

Status
    Mine is a DSG - is it OK to pull hard on the gear knob surround? I gave it a bit of a tug but it seemed pretty happy in there and I didn't want to break it...
    Factory | Sunroof | Xenons | Cruise | Parking sensors | Headlight washers | Red Vienna leather | Bose | Piano black inserts | Heated Seats | Electric lumbar | Front Arm Rest
    Retro | S-Line roof spoiler | 18" RS6 | Angel Tuning remap | ITG Performance Air Filter | RNS-E + Bluetooth | Tomtom iPhone car kit | Removable tow bar

is a retronaut

Status
    Yep pull it hard mate, it has a bit of a lip at the front, get your fingers under there and pull.

Insert disclaimer here
    8P2 S3

Neutral

Status
    Cool - it popped off nicely, thank you. I see 2 hexagonal bolts holding the grab handles, 2 torx holding in the ashtray and I know there are two in the grab handle holes but...

i) Are the ones in the grab handle holes hexagonal bolts or torx?

ii) I can't find the ones at the front under the centre console. Do i need to remove something else to get at them?

iii) What sort of tool do i need to undo the hexagonal bolts? Is it a socket set or something? Sorry - i'm a totally mechanical f-wit

is a retronaut

Status
    You may not be able to see the ones at the front unless you squeeze your head right into a tiny gap, they're there though, get ya fingers in!
    Last edited by Staz; 24th August 2010 at 18:43.
    8P2 S3

is a retronaut

Status
    While I was out taking another picture I took this:

8P2 S3

1st Gear

Status
    follow the guide Audi Retrofit

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by klik View Post
    follow the guide Audi Retrofit
    Thanks very much. One question, how do you do step 1 'Remove trim from around hazard light button\coin tray'?

is a retronaut

Status
    You don't need to do that, just follow the steps I gave with the aid of the photos on the other site.
    8P2 S3

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Staz View Post
    You don't need to do that, just follow the steps I gave with the aid of the photos on the other site.
    OK cool. Hopefully the tool will have arrived in the post, so i'll be able to have a crack at it tonight.