Removing grab handles/ashtray?

pengjn

Reaction score
I'm about to replace the ashtray with a storage tray and I think I need to remove the grab handles either side of the gear level. I can feel a couple of holes, which I guess have screws but I can't imagine that they are the only things holding them so strongly. Does anyone have instructions on how to remove the grab handles and ash tray, and ideally the tools I'll need to do the job?

Cheers,
Jim

I found a thread on another site the other day but basically:

1. Remove the gear knob surround by pulling it from the front upwards
  2. Undo 3 screws per handle, 1 is under the surround, another in the hole you've found and the other is at the front under the centre console.

Mine is a DSG - is it OK to pull hard on the gear knob surround? I gave it a bit of a tug but it seemed pretty happy in there and I didn't want to break it...

Yep pull it hard mate, it has a bit of a lip at the front, get your fingers under there and pull.

Insert disclaimer here

Cool - it popped off nicely, thank you. I see 2 hexagonal bolts holding the grab handles, 2 torx holding in the ashtray and I know there are two in the grab handle holes but...

i) Are the ones in the grab handle holes hexagonal bolts or torx?

ii) I can't find the ones at the front under the centre console. Do i need to remove something else to get at them?

iii) What sort of tool do i need to undo the hexagonal bolts? Is it a socket set or something? Sorry - i'm a totally mechanical f-wit :)

You may not be able to see the ones at the front unless you squeeze your head right into a tiny gap, they're there though, get ya fingers in!

Last edited:
While I was out taking another picture I took this:

IMAG0198.jpg

You don't need to do that, just follow the steps I gave with the aid of the photos on the other site.

You don't need to do that, just follow the steps I gave with the aid of the photos on the other site.

OK cool. Hopefully the tool will have arrived in the post, so i'll be able to have a crack at it tonight.