RNS-E/SAT NAV QUERY - ANY IDEAS?

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Trying to get to grips with the Sat Nav system on the S3 (completely different from my old car!). I know how to store a destination in the directory but I have other options for load route and store route but they are greyed out. Does anyone know what this does and why can't I choose it? I assumed that these could be if you drive a specific route and can them store them in the memory? For example my route home is different to the 3 suggested routes so I thought maybe you could store the route in the memory?

Also I only had the basic bluetooth which works well with the phone but I see in the user manual you can have voice recognition on the Nav but did I need to choose the bluetooth with cradle option?

Cheers,
Nick

The load and store route options allow you to store a complete route including stopovers, so you can plan a journey including one or more stops, then save it and load it back at a later time. The actual route you're taken is still calculated dynamically, you can't program in your own actual "route" in terms of roads taken between each stopover and the destination. If the options are disabled then you have no routes saved and can't store a route until it includes a stopover.

As for voice, the RNS-E doesn't support voice recognition I'm afraid.

The load and store route options allow you to store a complete route including stopovers, so you can plan a journey including one or more stops, then save it and load it back at a later time. The actual route you're taken is still calculated dynamically, you can't program in your own actual "route" in terms of roads taken between each stopover and the destination. If the options are disabled then you have no routes saved and can't store a route until it includes a stopover.

As for voice, the RNS-E doesn't support voice recognition I'm afraid.

Thanks Vertigo, I will have a look at the route stuff tomorrow.

With regards to the voice recoginition it does mention it in the user manual. Apparently you can press the speak button and say help navigation etc. and it gives you commands to use for nav. I tried it but everytime it just takes it that I am saying 'help' and just gives help commands for the phone. In the new A3/S3 Brochure there are 2 options for Bluetooth which are Bluetooth interface and Bluetooth with voice control, I went with the cheaper Bluetooth interface but can still store and dial numbers etc with voice?!?

I think you need to do the SDS hack on your RNS-E! for the voice activated guidance.

Thanks Wesley, I have just been searching some other threads and noticed this and I think I need VAGCOM as well. Although I don't really know anything about it so need to try and find someone in the midlands that has it that can give me a demo.

The only voice control provided in the A3 is for the phone system. Whilst some models of RNS-E are technically capable of using voice control for other functions, to my knowledge this is not an option on the A3 and no car would be provided with this functionality from the factory. It is possible, in some cases, to "hack" this functionality back in.