Volks AutosSky Insurance
    Nick

Status

RNS-E/SAT NAV QUERY - ANY IDEAS?

Hi Guys,

Trying to get to grips with the Sat Nav system on the S3 (completely different from my old car!). I know how to store a destination in the directory but I have other options for load route and store route but they are greyed out. Does anyone know what this does and why can't I choose it? I assumed that these could be if you drive a specific route and can them store them in the memory? For example my route home is different to the 3 suggested routes so I thought maybe you could store the route in the memory?

Also I only had the basic bluetooth which works well with the phone but I see in the user manual you can have voice recognition on the Nav but did I need to choose the bluetooth with cradle option?

Cheers,
    Nick
    Now - On the hunt for a new Audi!
    Gone - A5 Sportback S-line 3.0TDi quattro s-tronic
    Sadly gone - Ibis White S3 Sportback Black Edition
    Previous:
    '57 - Astra Sri Sport Hatch
    '95 - Celica GT4
    '54 - Astra Coupe Turbo
    '51 - Astra Sxi

2. # ADS
    ADS

Just Looking

Status
    I might be wrong Nick but I think you can create route 'files' and load them via the SD card.
    Stu.

A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, Quartz Grey, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara with Silver Stitching & Heating, Nav High, B & O, AMI, DAB, Parking Advanced & Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated Electric Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

Previous MY11 S3 Sportback Black Edition, S-Tronic, Ibis White.

6th Gear

Status
    The load and store route options allow you to store a complete route including stopovers, so you can plan a journey including one or more stops, then save it and load it back at a later time. The actual route you're taken is still calculated dynamically, you can't program in your own actual "route" in terms of roads taken between each stopover and the destination. If the options are disabled then you have no routes saved and can't store a route until it includes a stopover.

As for voice, the RNS-E doesn't support voice recognition I'm afraid.
    Daytona Grey Audi A3 2.0TDI 150 S-Line with Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Alcantara/Leather seats, B&O sound, DAB radio, Folding/dimming mirrors

Nick

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by VRStu View Post
    I might be wrong Nick but I think you can create route 'files' and load them via the SD card.
    Thanks Stu, would be interesting if you could do that. Will have to check it out.

Nick
    Previous:
    '95 - Celica GT4
    '54 - Astra Coupe Turbo
    '51 - Astra Sxi

Nick

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo1 View Post
    The load and store route options allow you to store a complete route including stopovers, so you can plan a journey including one or more stops, then save it and load it back at a later time. The actual route you're taken is still calculated dynamically, you can't program in your own actual "route" in terms of roads taken between each stopover and the destination. If the options are disabled then you have no routes saved and can't store a route until it includes a stopover.

As for voice, the RNS-E doesn't support voice recognition I'm afraid.
    Thanks Vertigo, I will have a look at the route stuff tomorrow.

With regards to the voice recoginition it does mention it in the user manual. Apparently you can press the speak button and say help navigation etc. and it gives you commands to use for nav. I tried it but everytime it just takes it that I am saying 'help' and just gives help commands for the phone. In the new A3/S3 Brochure there are 2 options for Bluetooth which are Bluetooth interface and Bluetooth with voice control, I went with the cheaper Bluetooth interface but can still store and dial numbers etc with voice?!?
    Previous:
    '95 - Celica GT4
    '54 - Astra Coupe Turbo
    '51 - Astra Sxi

Giac Extreme+!! Lovin it

Status
    I think you need to do the SDS hack on your RNS-E! for the voice activated guidance.
    07 Suzuka Grey S3, Giac Extreme plus map, Autotech HPFP, VF Engineering CAI, 18" black rims,factory tints,fbmfsw,Mk 2 RNS-E,CH-LH lights.puddle lights,Bose,Shark fin, Lamin x lights & Fogs.Full TBE miltek, 09 White DIS,Buckets,LED conversion,TPMS.

Nick

Status
    Thanks Wesley, I have just been searching some other threads and noticed this and I think I need VAGCOM as well. Although I don't really know anything about it so need to try and find someone in the midlands that has it that can give me a demo.
    Previous:
    '95 - Celica GT4
    '54 - Astra Coupe Turbo
    '51 - Astra Sxi

6th Gear

Status
    The only voice control provided in the A3 is for the phone system. Whilst some models of RNS-E are technically capable of using voice control for other functions, to my knowledge this is not an option on the A3 and no car would be provided with this functionality from the factory. It is possible, in some cases, to "hack" this functionality back in.
    Daytona Grey Audi A3 2.0TDI 150 S-Line with Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Alcantara/Leather seats, B&O sound, DAB radio, Folding/dimming mirrors

6th Gear

Status
    I have the SDS hack on mine and you can use it to send speach commands to the RNS-E for navigation, phone, CD or radio. The best site for info is www.audiforum.us
    2003-2008 1998 Red A3 8L 1.8 Sport
    2008 -> 2003 Akoya Silver A3 8P1 2.0 FSi Sport