Monster MotorsportEM Tuning
    3rd Gear

Status

Newbie - Requiring help - Rear clunking

Just picked up my new car today - A3 1.9tdi Sport with lots of factory extras.

However on the way home noticed a a clunking noise coming from the rear when going over bumps.

Any idea what this can be. I at first thought it may have been the spare wheel in the boot not fastened down, or the boot floor bouncing around, but all seems okay

Any ideas

2. # ADS
    ADS

ASN is hazardous 2 your wallet

Status
    does it sound like a clunk or a rattle dude as the heat shields around the exhaust are kinda prone to getting loose and may need clipping back up?..
    A3 2.0 FSI metallic Pearl/ Liquid Blue, 18" BBS Calito's, rear Parking Sensors, Full Votex Kit, Weitec Hicon GT Coilovers, Cruise Control, Auto Lights and Rain sensor Wipers, Facelift Rear Lights, Personal German Pressed Plate (G9MBO).

Immediate TDL
    Calito's redone in pearl white
    Roof/Spoiler and wing mirrors wrapped in pearl white
    Bentleys 19's
    S3 Brake Upgrade
    BMC CDA Induction - hope it sounds lush..

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by SneakaFreaka83 View Post
    does it sound like a clunk or a rattle dude as the heat shields around the exhaust are kinda prone to getting loose and may need clipping back up?..
    Defo a clunk, just hope I have not bought a wrong un. Didnt do it on the test drive, but having said that didnt take it down any rutted roads.

1st Gear

Status
    Take it back and explain.

Had the same noise when mine was new but only when parking. Turned out to be the brakes....
    2009 A3 1.6 TDI Sport Phantom Black, iPod and RNSe

3rd Gear

Status
    I think it might be the boot floor as when i tap it, it sound like a sheet of plywood rattling about. I am gonna take everything out of the boot, i.e. floor, wheel, jack, parcel shelf etc and take it for a spin later to see if it still does it.

If it does I have a 12 month warranty with the car so I will take it back to the garage

I will let you know

Cheers chaps

5th Gear

Status
    Don't think it will be much.

There's a plastic shield which "covers" or protects the rear shocks I think and I've been told they can break and rattle.

Wobble the exhaust by hand, when it's cold obviously, and see if you can hear it then.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    Don't think it will be much.

There's a plastic shield which "covers" or protects the rear shocks I think and I've been told they can break and rattle.

Wobble the exhaust by hand, when it's cold obviously, and see if you can hear it then.
    Scott

Your absolutely spot on

I took everything out of the boot, spare wheel etc and went for a spin. Still did it.

i didnt understand what you meant by the plastic cover on the shocks. I thought you mean the circular dirt cover up in the top of thw wheel arch. Rattled them but did not move really. Then got under the car and noticed the flat black plastic cover under the shock/control arm. Offside was okay but near side had about an 1" of play in it. some of the plastic pegs had snaped off so just drilled some 5 mm holes and stuck some M4 bolts through it and voila, movement is gone and so in the noise.

Well happy and cheers Scott !