A3 FSI Flat Battery

Maverick001

Reaction score
So I went out to my car this morning and the remote locking didnt work so thought the battery in the key must of been dead, picked up the spare and still nothing! I opended the car manually got in and the battery is flat as a pancake, no dash display nada! Tried a jump pack but didnt have enough juice in it to start it, but when i connected it the radiator fans started running, is that normal?

Are there any common issues with drains on the battery with these cars? I went out last night came home and the radiator fans had kicked in, I am just wondering if these never stopped resulting in a dead battery, is this likely and common?

Now having to wait for the trickle charge to work....YAWN!!!!!!!!!!!

I have had a read and looks like the fans running is a common problem and a pretty pricey one at that £235 for the new fan pack, OUCH!

Is it possible just to replace the individual fans or do you need the whole plastic case with it to like Audi suggest?

Spoke to Audi service in colchester and the guy was really nice, said was common with the earlier models (mine is an 03 2.0FSI) but since audi have issued an updated part number which is probably due to the faillure on the old part, he suggested hunter around breakers or flebay for one! He then put me through to parts and the guy wouldnt give me the part number T&&SER as it is Audi policy :tocktock:

Does anyone know the part number for this pack or for the individual fans (if they are possible to replace?), ideally the updated part number as really dont want to be having the same issue down the line!

In the meantime anyone know how to stop the fans running, without having to disconnect the battery everytime lol

Just got the part numbers of my existing fans which seem to be:

885 002 655
885 002 648

Are these full part number or am i missing some bits?

Might be unrelated but i have a similar issue.
For some unknown reason my battery (same car, 04 FSI) goes flat in just a couple of days if its not moved, I've had it checked out by numerous people to no avail, nothing draining the battery more than it should or anything like that. I had an issue once of the fans not turning off but it did correct itself, (started it up again, left it to tick over for 5 minutes, turned it off, and back on again) although the battery problem remains.
So I just have to leave it to charge after its been left a while, nobody can seem to diagnose it,

This may have been NO help what so ever, but at least your not alone :)

Tom.

So how long have your fans been working again since you had the problem?

Its one of those issues that if they dont stop and it drains the battery every now and them it kind of leaves you a little stranded if your out and about lol

Yours is a strange have you tried a new battery on it?

Might be unrelated but i have a similar issue.
For some unknown reason my battery (same car, 04 FSI) goes flat in just a couple of days if its not moved, I've had it checked out by numerous people to no avail, nothing draining the battery more than it should or anything like that. I had an issue once of the fans not turning off but it did correct itself, (started it up again, left it to tick over for 5 minutes, turned it off, and back on again) although the battery problem remains.
So I just have to leave it to charge after its been left a while, nobody can seem to diagnose it,

This may have been NO help what so ever, but at least your not alone :)

Tom.

I take it you've checked obvious things like the glovebox light and boot light arent staying on.

I read somewhere that some revisions of the can gateway modules were causing flat batteries if phone prep is connected.

im sure i read it somewhere here:
Upgrading of Volkswagen Park Distance Control (PDC) to Optical Parking System (OPS) | my-gti.com

I had the battery charged and disconnected the fan plug from the cowling so they wernt working, I have gone back out there when the car is cold and plugged them back in and they are still running!?

Obviously there are 2 fans, big one on the right and little to the left which are both running when cold! I have turned the air con onto econ which I would of thought would of stopped the little one as this is the fan for the air con compressor, isnt it? but it still carries on running!?

So which fan would be the faulty on the big one or the little one and what part in them is it that causes these to go faulty?

I have spoken to euro car parts and the do a 295mm (£65) & also a 360mm Fan (£120) but they have different voltages, does anyone know what volatage the fans in the car run at and if these are the correct sizes?

Last edited:
Just taken the fan cowling out to get at the part numbers and the 360mm fan is a Temix Fan 1K0 959 455 AM, does anyone know the updated part number for this as I believe audi changed the part number due to the problems, is this a 300W fan???? Also any other part number that will work from a golf etc??

That part number is replace with 1K0 959 455 CM & then in 1/3/2006 it goes to 1K0 959 455 DT for a 300w 360mm fan

Fantastic, I presume the DT part number would be the better one to go for or doesnt it make a difference?

As these have a aprt number will audi be able to sell me the individual part or will the insist on selling me the fan fix kit which includes both fans and the cowling

fans.jpg

if you look at pic, 1K0 998 455 is the whole unit. Revison DT is the 360mm fan only.

Ok thats great, nice piece of software you have there!

When I spoke to audi they said I would have to buy the whole replacement kit, but I didnt have the part number to hand so I will try again now I have the part number, he also said the cowling needs to be replaced as there are electrics in here also and now i have taken it off I can see it literally is a piece of plastic LOL so he must of been talking out his rear end! So I will try again with part numbers in hand!

I have had a quick flea bay and there are loads of different fans for sale but none that match this part number they have 1K0 959 455 DL, 1K0 959 455 N infact everything apart from this, typical lol

Looking around the old fans look like they were made by Temic, where as the new fans seem to be made by Siemens, so I presume the Temic fans had a flaw in them!?

Hehe no worries, I feel like my eyes are on stalks themselves lol

I am just looking into the downloading ETKA but it around 1.4gb so may take me a while on my village broadband lol

Can you do me a favour when you get a mo please? The cogs in my egr valve are snapped off and I am getting the engine management light on, the part number I have at present is 06F 131 503A....can you see if there is an updated number for this, I wonder if they have replaced the cogs with an amendment to stop then shearing again on later part numbers? :think:

Last edited:
damn well hope so - at 20k mine sheared too! Plastic teeth, WTF! I just fitted mine, never opened to check TBH

checked - its updated to B from A

Your a legend thanks for that!:anbet:

I know I couldnt believe it when I lifted the top off, there are 3 cogs, one tiny one which I think was metal actually and was fine and 2 plastic ones which both had about 4 of the teeth sheared off that were ratteling around, so with the teeth off it doesnt operate when the cogs turn! Its ridiculous that plastic cogs are used in something like this and makes you think these parts are engineered to fail over a certain period of time!

Why Audi dont hold their hands up and recall cars for common faults such as the fans and egr is annoying to say the least! They realise these parts are at fault as they issue updated part numbers! :banghead:

Orderded the 1K0 959 455 DT fan went to pick it this morning and took the black plastic cowling along just to double check and guess what.....it doesnt fit :banghead:

Phoned Audi Ipswich (very helpful women in the parts department,,which made a pleasent change) and explained the situation and went through the options and apparently there are 2 versions of the black plastic cowling, mine being the 680mm x 420mm and there is also a larger one of 680mm x 460mm (I think maybe 480mm), so looks like maybe the DT part number is for the larger cowling, but even Audi where confused as is listed for being the superseeded part for mine, very grey area!

An hour later Audi called back after speaking with audi technical and they confirmed the above and that it wont fit lol So I gave in and orderded the fan fix kit at £225 (in VAT) :crying:

Oh and to make it even more difficult the above part number is now being superseeded by another part which is not available until the end of August!

Save yourself the trouble of saving £50-£100 people and buy the fan fix kit and avoid endless nights scouring fleabay and gumtree for cooling fans that may not even fit when you get them anyway :thumbsup: