S3 Exhaust Pops and Bangs

bezza

Reaction score
Hi,

I've got a standard 2007 S3 and am just wondering if its possible to tune the car such that the exhaust pops and bangs.

I used to have a Mini Cooper S Works and I loved how the exhaust used to burble and pop whenever you lifted off the accelerator. :yes:

Just wondering if anybody's S3 does this and what you've done to achieve it?

Bezza

NOOO dont do it bro.. why would ya want it to sound like that... the S3 sound lush dont go and spoil it mate... well just my opinion sure others will add....

Hmm my 2.0T does it sometimes and is totally stock...

Just get yourself a Milltek or something and it should sound amazing. I always associated the loud pops and bangs with the astra vxr's. Don't do it.

Just get yourself a Milltek or something and it should sound amazing. I always associated the loud pops and bangs with the astra vxr's. Don't do it.

tku hit the nail on the head if you are looking for better noise then Milltek is the way to go fella...

My 2.0T burbles slightly and if you rev it a little you get some small pops all that has is a K&N panel filter

Hmm - I have MT TBE and when i start the car cold, and accelerate hard upto 3k revs and lift off it pops. Maybe its the remap?

I've got a milltek TBE de-cat and so far not really any pops or bangs, it burbles away quite nicely on the over run with the occasional pop but I know what your after (I want it too) and I havn't really got it yet, maybe that will change with a remap when the boost gets ramped up.

As for it being chavvy...DB9's pop and bang a little bit, I think it's a characteristic associated with a sporty car and to be honest I hope mine does it a bit more once mapped.

Pops and bangs are badarseeeeeeeeeeeee!!! Didnt some guy mod his S3, there were vids of it on here, it sounded like a bomb going off! so cool!

Why not buy some air bomb repeaters, light them and throw them out of the windows while driving!!

Actually, don't to the above and don't bother with the mod, you'll need a pack of asperin long before not.

KKP

Bezza I had a tuned up Cooper s and I know the popping your talking about:wub:

I'm hoping a milltek TB will sort this. I have evoms and revo stage 1. when I'm driving hard and I'm on overun i do get a loud burble, which sounds really restricted.. So hopefully the milli will open her up :thumbsup:

Oh and it's not chavvy in any way. Fast cars/performance engines are meant make noises..

that sound should come stock...it's known as the DSG fart. With my APR RSC exhaust it's even worse even though i love the exhaust....

GIAC extreme map give a pop and bang, due to not working properly

GIAC extreme map give a pop and bang, due to not working properly

Spot on mate ! Pops and Bangs are just excess fuel in the pipe burning off....Left like that you could well burn your exhaust valves out. could also be a symptom of slightly out cam timing causing valve over lap. Possably useful on the track but a good way to wreck an engine on the road.
If you must have pops and bangs then drilling a hole in the manifold might do it....lol. its also a sign of an air leak in the exhaust......lol

Spot on mate ! Pops and Bangs are just excess fuel in the pipe burning off....Left like that you could well burn your exhaust valves out. could also be a symptom of slightly out cam timing causing valve over lap. Possably useful on the track but a good way to wreck an engine on the road.
If you must have pops and bangs then drilling a hole in the manifold might do it....lol. its also a sign of an air leak in the exhaust......lol

But so many modern performance cars do this in stock factory tune...even new AMG Mercs, surely their factory ECU maps are not that terrible?

Jonny c old s3 did this. A chap called dan owns it now. He's got a wot box that causes it. He's usually on vagoc if you want to check out a few vids.

Akash
There can be many reasons for it. Lots of cars do it but you dont notice because the silencer dampens it out. Take off the cats, find a faultyCO.2 sender and cut the tail pipes off the back box...better still take all the boxes and cats off and just leave the back box with no tail pipe and it will bang away no worries.
Basically you need to get fuel and air into the pipe so a set of injectors that dribble a bit when the throttle is shut and a hole in the exhaust or a less restrictive exhaust so that it sucks air in on the over run will do the job.
An engine that has this characteristic from new is a little different from taking a S3 lump that doesn’t do it and making it do it.
a good demo of the idea is to switch the ignition off for 1 second....and back on going down hill on a bike and you get a gunshot and a jet of flame out the exhaust :rolleyes:
A non resinating exhaust will help and a smallish bore on the pipe as well.

EDIT...I just found this which is a bit of a laugh..

How to add Snap-Crackle-Pop to the Exhaust Note? [Archive] - MX-5 Miata Forum

Last edited:
you're not doing any favours to your car, un-burnt fuel is going into the exhaust system and exploding, poorly mapped car.

It's all due to the map on the cooper s. I love it, it's not a chavvy loud noise it's very subtle burble an crackles almost like a rally car. Lots guys find it dispeers when the cars are mapped. But few of tuners will map it to keep that. They run it a little rich on overrun as safty thing to stop det. The minis I go to time attack with are class, spitting flames etc. But it's style of a mini and you get away it as it's a childish car. S3s and vag etc I think I wouldn't want that. I love the subtle woosh noises you get, it's like and understated presence I'm here I have power but I'm not shouting about it. That's my opinion anyway.

If you fancy popping round to me l will let you know what hate GIAC is.

We'll see hopefully my software will work better for me when it goes on, just out of interest was there a reason given for your software not working?

I would of thought you would get a refund or at least the tuning company should have tried to fix it