Winter Tyres for S3

beanoir

Large Member
Reaction score
Right folks, I know it's not winter just yet, although looking out of the window today you'd be forgiven for thinking it was, so I'm wondering about getting a spare set of wheels and fitting some snow/wet tyres. I really struggled in the snow last year in the FWD A5.

I'm looking at the Vredestein range as they seem a good deal.

My question is two-fold really.

Is the S3 any good in the snow, does the quattro make that much difference? i.e. will i get up 10% hills from a standing start?

Does anybody here have experience of using winter or snow specific tyres on their cars?

Cheers!

:cold::cold::cold:

I had no problems in the snow in my S3 but don't expect Evo or Scooby handling.

If you hit a snowy bit or icey patch, the car will **** the bed and be skittery!

I have Good Year Eagle F1's on mine and they are perfect!

i used the standard contis through winter last year... didnt get stuck once and was out every night in the snow... and yes Quattro makes a mmassive difference.. would definately be easier with an actual winter tyre though...

Thing is, though the S3 can get going in the snow, it has all the same limitations as a normal car when trying to stop so winter tyres are a sensible thing to have if you can afford them and be bothered about changing them when the snow comes.
I had an incident in the alps where I thought I was invincible with 4wd. Storm had come in and I was trying to get to the resort. Buses and rental cars were sliding back down the maountain unable to get up the road, but the S3 ploughed on through.... however, had I had to turn around and go down the hill I think i'd have had an accident....

I use autosocks now http://www.autosock.co.uk/ and it just so happens I'm selling my old S3 one's... never had to use them, but will help if the weather turns bad.

Thing is, though the S3 can get going in the snow, it has all the same limitations as a normal car when trying to stop so winter tyres are a sensible thing to have if you can afford them and be bothered about changing them when the snow comes.
I had an incident in the alps where I thought I was invincible with 4wd. Storm had come in and I was trying to get to the resort. Buses and rental cars were sliding back down the maountain unable to get up the road, but the S3 ploughed on through.... however, had I had to turn around and go down the hill I think i'd have had an accident....

I use autosocks now http://www.autosock.co.uk/ and it just so happens I'm selling my old S3 one's... never had to use them, but will help if the weather turns bad.

You're spot on there Jamie. I've had a few 4WD cars and it certainly is easy to forget that stopping etc is no more easy that any FWD or RWD car, hence why Ive been considering some winter tyres.

I was interested in how the S3 performs giving it's not permanent 4WD, my other cars (Mondeo, A4 etc) were all permanent 4WD and did not have to respond to lack of traction like the Haldex does. But it appears that the feedback is all good in that respect.

You're spot on there Jamie. I've had a few 4WD cars and it certainly is easy to forget that stopping etc is no more easy that any FWD or RWD car, hence why Ive been considering some winter tyres.

I was interested in how the S3 performs giving it's not permanent 4WD, my other cars (Mondeo, A4 etc) were all permanent 4WD and did not have to respond to lack of traction like the Haldex does. But it appears that the feedback is all good in that respect.

Yeah it'll keep on going up most things, on that maountain road, there way myself and an RS4 picking a route through the carnage.. was pretty hairy, but the S did me proud. I went and bought the Autosocks the next day, but I've never had to use them.

i personally will be going for a set of winter tyres for my spare alloys, a studded pair and a flexi ice tyre pair never had soo much fin in the snow in my life with them, power down = sideways, power off = instant grip

So which brand are people going for, there seems to be huge difference in price between budget and premium brands, more so than normal tyres.

ill get you the brands i had on the a3 tonight cant remember offhand, had to get them studded seperately though, want too dear and worth every penny

I ran my A3 over winter a few years ago with Continental TS810s tyres on it and they a were fantastic. Normal tyres start to suffer a huge performance drop off below 7 degrees and these just kept gripping like the Eagle F1s did in the summer. Even on snow and ice they were still sure footed.

The tread is made up off different types of rubber and little cutouts that stop snow building up in the tread.
DSC00113_1.jpg