Looking to buy an 8P1, wondering the costs involved for this end result...

Thom Yorke

Reaction score
Hello!

First off I'd like to say this is a great forum. Full of information and plenty of people willing to help!

I'm looking at getting an 03 - 04 A3 TDI and wondering what costs would be involved to transform something like this:

http://pictures2.autotrader.co.uk/imgser-uk/servlet/media?id=1388928816

To this:

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/3994/sv400012.jpg

I've fallen in love with his car. It's amazing. From what I can see I would be looking at an S-Line front bumper, A5 5-spoke reps and a new set of headlights. Anything else?
Headlights seem to be my biggest problem, so I think I'll stick to the 8P2 S-Line and just get a similar looking aftermarket set.

Any help will be appreciated :)

Ahh now that is disheartening.

It wouldn't look much worse with the 8P2 bumper and A5 alloys, would it? Or am I just pretending to myself I can do this relatively cheap?

that way is cheaper but you still have to change the bonnet as its different and the front bumper with grills and foglights

VAG parts have and always will be ridiculously expensive. That's why it's best left to the insurers ;)

Ultimatley it's up to you, and how committed you are to doing the transformation. It's going to cost upwards of 3 or 4k? I'm led to believe, although if you know what your doing it could be done for a little cheaper. At the moment it would be quite difficult as it's not like you can pop down your local scrappies and source an 8P3 bonnett or wings or lights :p

Is this too optimistic as a 'shopping list'?

8P2 S-Line front bumper - £200
8P2 Bonnet - £150
A5 V-spoke reps - £350
Aftermarket headlights (similar to PregnantNproud's ) £150~

So around £1,000? I suppose I'll have to factor in the likelyhood that I will need to pay for a respray of the front parts. And 4 tyres too, but I have a friend who has a garage so I could try and get 'Mates Rates' on those!

Is there anything else I would need to get? The more input the better I feel, even if it is to put me off the notion. I dont feel I'm being too crazy here though...

Is this too optimistic as a 'shopping list'?

8P2 S-Line front bumper - £200
8P2 Bonnet - £150
A5 V-spoke reps - £350
Aftermarket headlights (similar to PregnantNproud's ) £150~

So around £1,000? I suppose I'll have to factor in the likelyhood that I will need to pay for a respray of the front parts. And 4 tyres too, but I have a friend who has a garage so I could try and get 'Mates Rates' on those!

Is there anything else I would need to get? The more input the better I feel, even if it is to put me off the notion. I dont feel I'm being too crazy here though...

Will need fog lights, fog light surrounds and wiring (or you can just leave it with gaps). S-line or Standard A3 front grille. Think the cheapest i've seen Rich headlights for is £230. There s-line bumpers on Ebay and grilles get them quite cheaper there. Bought my bonnet brand new off an ebay seller £120. Loads of people have done the front conversion so nothing to worry about there if you get stuck. But not many have done the new facelift

Thanks for the replies!

It wasn't right away, was hoping to get the car within the next 6-9 months, but I definitely dont mind going the 8P2 route if it will save thousands!

And I suppose it doesnt all have to be done at once. I can space it over a year or two depending on how the money situation is!

Can the welcome home lights be enabled on the 8P1 with VAG-COM, even if it doesnt have the highline spec?

Thanks for the replies!

It wasn't right away, was hoping to get the car within the next 6-9 months, but I definitely dont mind going the 8P2 route if it will save thousands!

And I suppose it doesnt all have to be done at once. I can space it over a year or two depending on how the money situation is!

Can the welcome home lights be enabled on the 8P1 with VAG-COM, even if it doesnt have the highline spec?

May be worth getting some parts now. I've started to get parts to do the 09facelift for my next car. I think there a thread in FAQ about them.

just so you know mate nothing fits wings need fabbing front panel needs fabbing new crashbar supports and crashbar are needed etc etc you dont by chance have facelift washer jets do you mate theyre about the only outstanding thing for mine :)