Problems fitting lower rear valence

Mick a3

Mellow Yellow
Reaction score
I purchased a rear valance almost a year ago and got round to getting it painted and fitted the other day,when i received the car back the bodyshop claimed they couldnt get it to fit prroperly but done the best they could.

I have it fitted but at both sides where it curve's at its most theres a small section than wont clip in,The bodyshop claimed the valence must be warped or the fact that it was off a later model of A3. Ive tried with all my mite to clip it back in but its not budging.

Only solution i can think of is to heat the the valence form the non painted end and force it in,Anyone had any similar problems?

Heres how it looks just now:

capture2wv.png

capturefe.png

Thanks
Mick

Try taking it off completely, soaking it in a bath of warm water for 10 mins, then fitting it but starting at one side near the wheel arch lining, so to get that in first? Then clip it in, helping it on it's way from the inside underneath the car as those plastic lugs are quite big and take some force to locate, but you can help them by helping them on their way with a screwdriver on the inside (may help jacking the car up)???

thanks mate

Il be sure to give that a bash,to be honest it sounds safer than heating the bumper with a hairdryer.

Did you buy the valance new or second hand. Heating it will not affect the paint unless you continuously put the heat on a specific area for a long period of time. After all the suns UV rays are far more worse than hairdryer heat.

Bought it 2nd hand,then it lay under my bed for nearly a year. Was just a bit scared to touch it just yet as its not long painted.

Id rather not have to take it back off mind you.

You've got the wrong bumper on. Yours is a standard bumper, and the S-Line valance you've fitted needs an S-Line bumper. Look at Sarah's recent build thread and compare photos of the back of her car before and after. The bumpers are different. (The S3 valance also uses the S-Line bumper.)

You've got the wrong bumper on. Yours is a standard bumper, and the S-Line valance you've fitted needs an S-Line bumper. Look at Sarah's recent build thread and compare photos of the back of her car before and after. The bumpers are different. (The S3 valance also uses the S-Line bumper.)

He speaks the truth! Wrong bumper/valance combo i'm afraid!

It will fot with some work though, trick is to remove some of the clips so that it bends easier and trim a few V shape cuts into its top edge so it will fit round the corners better

Oh ****! I'm sure I read a while back when i bought the valence that someone on here fitted an sline rear diffuser to and older style bumper? But it had to be slightly modified?

He speaks the truth! Wrong bumper/valance combo i'm afraid!

It will fot with some work though, trick is to remove some of the clips so that it bends easier and trim a few V shape cuts into its top edge so it will fit round the corners better

thanks mate, I'l get on it pronto get get it sorted......After Searching a few posts Ive seen it can be done,Its just whether i can do it or not!

oh nooooo mines waiting to get painted its off an 07 sline mines an 06 sport will mine fit?

Sh*t! mick let me know how you get on mate as i will have the same prob

think this means your best bet is to buy an sline rear bumper to make sure it 100 percent goes on prooperly
ill keep an eye out for one faling that i am just gonna go for it. it looks nice besides the gap

opps, wrong ones boys but im sure with some tweaking it can be made to fit! Best bet is get the rear bumper off, lay it on the carpet and see if the lugs can be lined up, its far easier off the car and less damage to bumper and spoiler

I agree. Take the bumper off to do it

I fitted mine together off the car and it was a real pita. And mine was the right trim for the bumper. So it will be even harder for you.

Good luck

I'l try modify it first then if I **** it up il have an excuse to buy a whole new bumper. Here's how it looks just now,Im positive i'l be able to make it fit(here's hoping!!!)

imag0233edit0.jpg

capturetvr.png

Yeh looking at those pics, I think its doable! But OFF the car tbh. Or you may crease the bumper pushing it. The lugs are really tight to locate and push in. Wack it off and try, alot easier! Tried mine for flippin ages, took it off the car (which I should have done before fitting the top part of the bumper lol) and it was soooo easy!

Good luck

Few questions

How much work is involved in taking off the bumper(bolts etc)? Can you fit it all back on as the on piece? And do the reverse sensors just clip out aswell?

thanks
Mick

yeah the rear bumper is alright to get off u need to remove rear lights there are 2 fixing points behind there, there is 2 behind trim in boot and then if like mine there is 2 under the car where the back bumper fixes to the car aswell..

and umteen tex screw on rear arch linings.

hope this helps

Kev

To be completly honest, I think looks abit crap. It doesn't flow with the lines of the stock bumper because of the groove above. I think will just look wrong unless you use the sline bumper.

AudiS3_8P_rear.jpg

As the others have said you can mod the valance to fit. NHN done it to his A3 sport.
But would have to agree with Anthony doesnt look like it lines up right on either side.
And your mud flaps are filling the gap between where the valance and rear bumper join.
But nice looking car from what i can see. Lovely RS6 Alloys. If you dont mind me asking where you get them from?

Does anybody know if this would fit on a 06 Non S-line sportback? The bumper doesn't have to groove at the bottom like the above 3 door

Does anybody know if this would fit on a 06 Non S-line sportback? The bumper doesn't have to groove at the bottom like the above 3 door

May be worth PM NHN and asking if he can send a photo of how his lower valance looks attached to his sports rear bumper.

i would say hell no vitchie.
i disagree about it looking crap i think its a nice little mod that looks much better than standard. judt would not put the s-line badge on. mines lava grey also so i think the joins wont look as noticeble

i would say hell no vitchie.
i disagree about it looking crap i think its a nice little mod that looks much better than standard. judt would not put the s-line badge on. mines lava grey also so i think the joins wont look as noticeble

Sorry man, what i meant is will the sportback s-line valance fit on on non-sline sportback bumper?

i would have though so just like the 3dr if its got the gap to take it off but double check first

oh forgot got my new silne bumper today it needs spraying and fogs / surronds. can i just use the same bolts and stuff off my sport bumper of do i need to buy more?

Sorry man, what i meant is will the sportback s-line valance fit on on non-sline sportback bumper?

Looks like it should fit, found this A3 on autotrader pre facelift A3 54reg with the older rear bumper but newer s-line lower valance
2004 AUDI A3 2.0 TDi Sport 3dr Diesel Hatchback

oh forgot got my new silne bumper today it needs spraying and fogs / surronds. can i just use the same bolts and stuff off my sport bumper of do i need to buy more?

Hey Nally, Yes you can use your current bolts.

WOW cant believe I actually considered those back lights! dry boke. I'l try get round to fixing mine this wkend if it stays dry.