Volks AutosEM Tuning
    Neutral

Status

clutch options after a remap

have been thinking about it today, my pd140 is getting remapped very soon, but i think the clutch is abit woolly...

If it slips, what do people do?? Do you just get an oem clutch fitted or do you fit an uprated one?

Ive been trying to find sach's clutch's but with very little luck!

2. # ADS
    ADS

As far from JBS as possible !

Status
    Both Sachs and Helix sale uprated clutches rated at about 400lb torque which are very good. Just make sure you get a clutch with an organic disc not sinthered. Any garage should be able to fit the uprated clutch as the parts are just the same as a stock clutch.
    06 Audi 2.0 PD140 Sport TDI Quattro S-LINE.
    Old engine 330 bhp @ flywheel 263 bhp @ wheel 490 lb torque. Audidriver write up HERE
    Now stripped and playing with an uprated Cryo treated engine fitted with bigger turbo,water/methanol,uprated injectors etc etc.Wanting 400 bhp and 500 lb torque.

Other car 500+ bhp MK4 Golf R32 turbo.

4th Gear

Status
    I use sachs race clutch, no complaints

A3 2.0 TDI Optics Black S-Line, FR&RTuning Stage 3! GT20 Hybrid Turbo, THS TFSI FMIC, Sachs performance clutch kit+SMF, Milltek 2.5" Turbo-Back Non-Res Exhaust, ITG Maxogen Induction, EGR Delete with FR&RTuning Map out, Custom Black 18" RS4, 35mm H&R springs, S3 brakes, EBC Yellowstuff, front splitter, HID Xenons, S3 tailgate Spoiler, 09 Rear Lights, Retrofit Audi Ipod, S3 Air vents, Bose sound+retrofit JBL Subwoofer 1200W.
    Milltek Cat-back Non-Res for S3 2.0T FOR SALE both 3dr and 5dr PM

2nd Gear

Status
    Hi.

Use a normal reeinforced clutch and replace the pressure plate for the S3 one...
    Needs some adaptation, but you'll never have clutch problems again.

Neutral

Status
    Sorry just to hijack, thinking of this myself. I've seen mixed reviews on if or not the change the flywheel from DM to a Single Mass. My mates just had a stage hybrid, exhaust, S3 intercooler and remap on his leon. He has also had and uprated clutch with a single mass flywheel and the sound it makes its so dam annoying and the feel is horrid. I plan on the same route but there is no way i could live with that flywheel.
    Last edited by Anthony_H; 16th August 2010 at 01:16.
    Unforgivable wheel gap

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony_H View Post
    Sorry just to hijack, thinking of this myself. I've seen mixed reviews on if or not the change the flywheel from DM to a Single Mass. My mates just had a stage hybrid, exhaust, S3 intercooler and remap. He has also had and uprated clutch with a single mass flywheel and the sound it makes its so dam annoying and the feel is horrid. I plan on the same route but there is no way i could live with that flywheel.
    Do as i say. Reinforced clutch with S3 pressure plate.
    We have a 2.0 TDI for rally and it has this setup and no clutch problems...

Regards

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by micasb View Post
    Do as i say. Reinforced clutch with S3 pressure plate.
    We have a 2.0 TDI for rally and it has this setup and no clutch problems...

Regards
    What flywheel though. The flywheel is my issue, do have change that.
    Unforgivable wheel gap

Pii
    4th Gear

Status
    Question: does an upgraded clutch mean that the pedal will be heavily than stock?

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Pii View Post
    Question: does an upgraded clutch mean that the pedal will be heavily than stock?
    I think that on an A3 the clutch is hydraulic so you won't feel any diference.
    Expect a ON/OFF clutch...

Rarely neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by devonmikeyboy View Post
    Both Sachs and Helix sale uprated clutches rated at about 400lb torque which are very good. Just make sure you get a clutch with an organic disc not sinthered. Any garage should be able to fit the uprated clutch as the parts are just the same as a stock clutch.
    Totally agree....I've got a Sachs here,as most others seem to have done,and as you've said,don't get a sintered clutch...these are real ON/OFF devices and not really ideal for road use....I had one on a Cosworth some years ago,where the only solution for the power and torque was a sintered clutch and it was HAAARD work around town.

Rarely neutral

Status
    Not really...the Sachs is a little heavier,but not by much,and once you've had one for a few days you won't notice it....also not much different in terms of bite and ease of use,certainly not ON/OFF as micasb has said,unless you buy something silly like a sintered clutch.

Pii
    4th Gear

Status
    Thanks for the info guys.

Was under the impression Sach was quite heavy and was really not looking forward to the infamous remap clutch slip problem!

Thanks
    Pii

Rarely neutral

Status
    Thanks for the info guys.

Was under the impression Sach was quite heavy and was really not looking forward to the infamous remap clutch slip problem!

Thanks
    Pii
    It really isn't that bad...yes,it's a bit heavier,and it may smell a bit odd for a few miles,but you won't need Schwarzenegger's left leg to use it.

Pii
    4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S3Alex View Post
    you won't need Schwarzenegger's left leg to use it.

Thanks Alex - put my mind at ease a bit! Bring on Stage 2