For the Love of Audi (A3 San Francisco Driving Vacation)

Andreas_D

Reaction score
Website
www.driving-vacation.com
How did we fall in love with our Audi in the first place? Was it the four rings? Was it the five cylinders? Was it the Quattro? Did it matter how we fall in love? We are all passionate about our beloved Audi. It is not just a transportation device. When we drive our Audi every morning, it generates positive emotions inside us. It makes us feel good. One balmy morning, I got up with a craving for some wood fire brick oven baked bread. And the only place I know is the Wild Flour Bread Bakery near Sebastopol in Marin. I am sure there are other specialty bakeries closer to San Francisco. But then, what is the point of driving one mile to get a loaf of bread when I can drive 72 miles through scenic northern California Highway 1?...

Photo gallery

I called up my friend David, a fellow Audi Club of North America member, and asked him if we could get a few friends to go for an impromptu weekend drive. I thought of him because he recently did several modifications to his Audi A3, and I would like to see and experience his modified car. With the help of other A3 lovers, David accumulated various performance parts. And over several weekend get-togethers of A3 owners, they helped each others modifying their cars. David lowered his A3 by installing H&R sport springs and Bilstein gas pressure struts. Additionally, to get an even sportier ride, he upgraded the rear sway bar with the Neuspeed 25mm adjustable sway bar. To make sure that the tires can handle the racing-inspired suspension setup and, at the same time, can handle snow boarding trips to Tahoe in a blizzard, he switched to Ultra High Performance All Season Bridgestone Pole Position tires...

Photo gallery

We followed the California Highway 1 sign just north of Golden Gate Bridge. We joined the Shoreline Highway and it took us through Muir Beach and Stinson Beach. Our first exciting treats were waiting for us as soon as we entered the Mountain Tamalpais State Park. Zigzags, hairpins, elevation changes, and mesmerizing views of jagged cliffs and rocks protruding from the choppy Pacific Ocean coast line elevated our enjoyment of Audi driving. As we shifted the DSG to two, three, and four, we could hear the turbo boost kicked in. Our heads were pressed back against the head rests and our eyes pushed back against the eye sockets. Downshifting to three and two rapidly by tapping the paddle shifter on the steering wheel, the A3 burbled confidently and pleasantly....

Photo gallery

When I was in the passenger seat, in the comfort of the sporty but elegant interior craftsmanship, I wondered what it would be like to be an Audi designer. The question I had pondered and sought for an answer. I recalled the conversation several weeks earlier with my friends at the Santa Monica Audi and Volkswagen design center. I was fortunate to meet them through common friends.Jae Min, the Chief Designer of Audi Design Center California, and Melissa Knight, the Board Member of Audi Southern California Audi Club chapter (SoCal), hosted a get-together. About two dozens SoCal members attended this event. Jae provided very informative behind-the-scene stories of Audi design philosophy, approach, and accomplishments. What I got from his entertaining story telling was the concept of responsible design...

Photo gallery

Audi (and Volkswagen group) is promoting the cradle-to-cradle design philosophy. In this school of thought, the product is designed with future reuse or repurposing in mind without the loss of materials’ quantity and quality. There are many documented successful cradle-to-cradle manufacturing techniques in the world in the field of textile and household products. Now, Audi is applying the same philosophy into car making. After all this approach is consistent with Vorsprung durch Technik; Advancement through Technique. It is a common mistranslation that the word “technik” is translated to “technology”. “Technik” should be translated to “Technique”, which emphasizes the way of making...

Photo gallery

It is a very challenging approach even for Audi. But Audi has become a world leading brand not because it takes the least path of resistance. Jae also gave us an inside into the various design considerations that went into the Audi R8. We could not tour the facility other than the conference room and the outside patio that had an R8 on a turntable. There were a lot of secret projects that would determine the direction of the automobile in the next 25 years!...

Photo gallery

Audi enthusiasts, designers, and engineers pour our love for technique, craftsmanship, and progress. Each of us expresses our love for Audi in a personal way. This love makes Audi distinctive. And like everything in life, when we pour love into something, that something will generate such powerful positive emotions within us that make us happy...

Photo gallery

Read more...

Yeah I did a west coast drive too, was great, san diego is cool, but frisco is a stunning city to park of in, loved it, angeles sucked big time & vegas did squat for me.

Great pictures and blog again. That first picture is the bogs bo**ocks!!

Do you think you might have a problem not having a front license plate? I've driven my cars since '68 without one but I got one outside the International Auto show last year. So I am careful not to park outside at a metered spot.