Chris NottBadger5
Results 1 to 26 of 26
  1. #1
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    93

    Anyone gone from Goodyear Eagle F1 Asym to Michelin PS3

    Seems to be lots of good reviws on the Michelin but the true test would be the thoughts from someone who has made the move.

    The PS3 looks far more wet weather orientated that the F1, it has massive grooves in it
    Audi S3 (8P) most of the extras apart from the bucket seats.

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    JohnS3's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,021
    Sorry Paul, not done that swap and the new car arrived with conti sports again!


  4. #3
    paddy's Avatar
    Audi=No fault code, no idea

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    5,135
    I went from F1 Asym's to Conti contact 3's and it was like turning the road noise volume down from 10 to 3 !!
    The advantage of the F1's is the rim protector bead. Dosnt look much but could save you a lot of hassle/cash if you curb the wheel ... Michelin have never been renowned for grip but they do last for ever IMO
    Last edited by paddy; 12th August 2010 at 23:31.
    Ibis white Revo S3 and now matching Vivaro LWB HR 2900 :-)

    Many people are alive because its illegal to shoot them.

  5. #4
    5th Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Staffordshire
    Posts
    1,243
    i'd be interested to know aswell !

  6. #5
    NHN
    NHN's Avatar
    Modmetractor

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Coding Something
    Posts
    27,099
    I went from Goodyears to economies & never looked back as the seriously expensive over priced Goodyears on my S4 sucked arse & exploded, customer service was shockingly **** aswell when tried to claim.

    OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

    PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

  7. #6
    tku
    tku's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    639
    Quote Originally Posted by paddy View Post
    I went from F1 Asym's to Conti contact 3's and it was like turning the road noise volume down from 10 to 3 !!
    The advantage of the F1's is the rim protector bead. Dosnt look much but could save you a lot of hassle/cash if you curb the wheel ... Michelin have never been renowned for grip but they do last for ever IMO
    I'm sorry but I'd have to disagree with you there Paddy about the Michelins not being renowned for grip...They are immense tires and grip much better then the rest albeit you have to pay a premium for them and the wear isnt great so I don't know which Michelins you been using! My last car was equipped with Mich Ps'2 and the dry weather grip on them was amazing although they didn't last long..

    Anyways back to the OP question..From what I have gathered from reviews on the ps'3 they are supposed to be alot better in the wet than the ps'2 thus the larger grooves whilst also lasting longer. I would definitely recommend Michelin tires if money/budget wasnt a problem.

  8. #7
    leach76's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    sheffield
    Posts
    305
    Ps3's are very good upto now,i have gone from conti sc2's which i love but wear too quick

  9. #8
    tku
    tku's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    639
    Quote Originally Posted by leach76 View Post
    Ps3's are very good upto now,i have gone from conti sc2's which i love but wear too quick
    Exactly what I thought about the conti's..unfortunately car came supplied with them..not the best grip in the world either and after 9k they seem to be wearing fast! Will be going Michelin next if budget allows though.

  10. #9
    5th Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Staffordshire
    Posts
    1,243
    I'm due 2 new on the front sometime soon, now should I give the PS3's a go on the rear and stick the old F1's on the front as they still have about 5-6mm tread, or should I just stick with F1's all round that's the question!

  11. #10
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    I'm due 2 new on the front sometime soon, now should I give the PS3's a go on the rear and stick the old F1's on the front as they still have about 5-6mm tread, or should I just stick with F1's all round that's the question!

    Ia m in the same dilema, previously rotated tyres and now need new rears but front have about 5mm left on them. I have the Goodyears all round but after problems with vibration on my current set and very poor customer service from Goodyear ithe Michelins seemed a good option. Suspect I will get the Michelin ps3's upfornt to experience the change, apparently they have softer sidewalls than some and comfort is greatly improved. I will try and find the site I found with this review.

    Continental are releasing the csc5 in December as their new 5p is only in very limited sizes.
    Audi S3 (8P) most of the extras apart from the bucket seats.

  12. #11
    paddy's Avatar
    Audi=No fault code, no idea

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    5,135
    Quote Originally Posted by tku View Post
    I'm sorry but I'd have to disagree with you there Paddy about the Michelins not being renowned for grip...They are immense tires and grip much better then the rest albeit you have to pay a premium for them and the wear isnt great so I don't know which Michelins you been using! My last car was equipped with Mich Ps'2 and the dry weather grip on them was amazing although they didn't last long..

    Anyways back to the OP question..From what I have gathered from reviews on the ps'3 they are supposed to be alot better in the wet than the ps'2 thus the larger grooves whilst also lasting longer. I would definitely recommend Michelin tires if money/budget wasnt a problem.
    Thats fine tku, my opinion is not written in stone. I am sure it depends on what you drive as well, a 140d FWD is not comparable with a 3.2 Quattro. I have never had Michelins on my A3 but the last set i had on a 406 coupé i took off because the side walls were cracking through age, long before the tread was shot. what i wouldn't do is go the cheap route like Nige. One day you will need to stop in the wet and its been proven time and time again that Budget tyres just don't cut it.
    My attitude as a Biker is if you cant afford to put decent rubber on a car/bike then you cant afford to run the car/bike so get something cheaper. When cruising, even at 40mph, the only thing keeping you and everyone around you alive is that rubber.
    Ibis white Revo S3 and now matching Vivaro LWB HR 2900 :-)

    Many people are alive because its illegal to shoot them.

  13. #12
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    93
    I am getting to Michelin PS3 tyres fitted to the front of the S3 tomorrow replacing Goodyear Eagle F1 Asym I will let you know how I get on
    Audi S3 (8P) most of the extras apart from the bucket seats.

  14. #13
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    93
    I am currently at Micheldever tyres getting them fitted, they are the cheapest around at 248 fitted for 2
    Audi S3 (8P) most of the extras apart from the bucket seats.

  15. #14
    BigBird's Avatar
    Lost in music...

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    West Lancs
    Posts
    379
    [QUOTE=A4CAB;1046605] Suspect I will get the Michelin ps3's upfornt to experience the change, apparently they have softer sidewalls than some and comfort is greatly improved. QUOTE]

    I'd be very interested in your comfort based feedback in the S3 on PS3s once they're worn in A4CAB.

    I had Conti sportcontact3s when I got my S3 which I swapped for GY F1`s all round. Comfort on the F1s is not great, even though IMHO they handle well in dry & wet. The F1s rim protector has deffo saved my rims though.

    I've got about 2 months before new tyres needed all round and have been looking for more comfort biased tryes. Feeling old...

  16. #15
    tku
    tku's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    639
    Quote Originally Posted by paddy View Post
    Thats fine tku, my opinion is not written in stone. I am sure it depends on what you drive as well, a 140d FWD is not comparable with a 3.2 Quattro. I have never had Michelins on my A3 but the last set i had on a 406 coupé i took off because the side walls were cracking through age, long before the tread was shot. what i wouldn't do is go the cheap route like Nige. One day you will need to stop in the wet and its been proven time and time again that Budget tyres just don't cut it.
    My attitude as a Biker is if you cant afford to put decent rubber on a car/bike then you cant afford to run the car/bike so get something cheaper. When cruising, even at 40mph, the only thing keeping you and everyone around you alive is that rubber.
    Agreed!

  17. #16
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    93
    It will be a very fair comparison as I have been driving on the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asym on the front for ages and the ones I had up front had 5.5 mm left. I had to ask twice to swap front and rears so the PS3 were on the front, usual speel about new best tyres should be on the rear which I dont really buy to be honest, also the Goodyears on the rear now have 5.5mm so hardly old.

    I drove the 20 miles back to the office in the very hard rain and they felt very good, I will reserve full judement until the usual 250 miles to bed them in. That said there is noticeable less roads noise and the ride does seem slightly smoother too which is ideal. The fitter said they expect them to become the default tyre choice for people who normally buy premium greade performance tyres.
    Audi S3 (8P) most of the extras apart from the bucket seats.

  18. #17
    pluves1's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    352
    I've just replaced my Conti Sport Contact 2's all round with Conti Sport Contact 3's.

    The road noise went down noticeably.

    However, since getting these tyres fitted my S3 has developed an annoying hestitation when flooring at high speed.

    It sort of stutters and is now back at the dealers in an attempt to resolve the issue. I'm not sure if the tyre change is connected with the problem but, the dealer has had the car for four days now and is busy going through a list of swop overs that Audi HQ has suggested.

    I've just heard today that they still can't resolve and Audi HQ have suggested swopping all four wheels out from a new S3 to see if the problem persists.

    They think it might be a wheel not 100% round or tyres which is forcing the ESP to kick in at high speed when you have your foot to the floor.

    Car is a 2010 model with aprox 21000 miles on the clock and on its 2nd set of tyres.

    If anyone else has had a similar issue I'd be interested to hear. I've started a new thread as well!
    Now

    MY10 BMW 335d Touring (Sapphire Black)


    MY10 S3 Sportback (Sprint Blue)



    Previously
    06 BMW 330d M Sport Touring Le Mans Blue with Black leather, Phone Prep

  19. #18
    NHN
    NHN's Avatar
    Modmetractor

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Coding Something
    Posts
    27,099
    Is yours a Stronic mate as Brett Butler on here has same issue aswell, hesitation thats so minimal, its at dealers atm aswell, give him a PM & maybe we can see if its same issues.

    OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

    PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

  20. #19
    pluves1's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    352
    Car is manual. Is Brett's an Stronic?
    Now

    MY10 BMW 335d Touring (Sapphire Black)


    MY10 S3 Sportback (Sprint Blue)



    Previously
    06 BMW 330d M Sport Touring Le Mans Blue with Black leather, Phone Prep

  21. #20
    NHN
    NHN's Avatar
    Modmetractor

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Coding Something
    Posts
    27,099
    Yeah but has the same hesitation iirc.

    OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

    PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

  22. #21
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    93
    I can confirm the Michelin PS3 tyre has a rim protector of the identical size maybe even bigger than the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asym
    Audi S3 (8P) most of the extras apart from the bucket seats.

  23. #22
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    england
    Posts
    754
    i want from Goodyear Eagle F1 Asym to Michelin PS3 and i have to say that when i first had the goodyear they were great, but few months i had to change all four tyre and was about to buy the goodyears again when i found out the COSTCO was doing a deal on Michelin PS3 if you buy four tyres from them, so in the end i brought them them for Ł430 fitted and balanced, and i got to say they are very very good, if i had to buy tyres again i would go with the Michelin PS3, they "feel" more of a quality tyre, not saying that the goodyear aint good they great too but i personaly would buy michellin

  24. #23
    BigBird's Avatar
    Lost in music...

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    West Lancs
    Posts
    379
    Price seems good khalil - what size were they? For what car?

  25. #24
    crunchie's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Inverness
    Posts
    865
    Im was planning changing from SC3's to PS3's but ive heard the sidewalls are a lot softer than the PS2's(had these on my LCR & STi and were awsome!) Not overly keen on grip of SC3's in wet or dry and too much sidewall movement. Think i'll just get the PS2's again.

  26. #25
    Vertigo1's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,655
    What tyres are new A3s coming with these days? When I got my current one it was either Pirelli P-Zero Rossos or Conti Sport Contact 2s. I was actually a bit peeved when mine came with the Pirelli's as I'd read the SC2s were very good but tbh, the Pirellis haven't been too bad.
    Daytona Grey Audi A3 2.0TDI 150 S-Line with Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Alcantara/Leather seats, B&O sound, DAB radio, Folding/dimming mirrors

  27. #26
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    england
    Posts
    754
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBird View Post
    Price seems good khalil - what size were they? For what car?
    for a a3, the size 225 40 18

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO