Dash top removal?

fUbAr8p

Reaction score
Hi guys

I've been browsing the forum for a while now and reading the advice. I registered to use the search function to find some info on removing the top part of the dashboard in my '8P1' A3. Unfortunately I couldn't find anything, hence this thread!

Just need the top part removed so I can rip out the Bluetooth touchscreen hands free kit thats been wired in by the previous owner. As good as the system is, I don't have any use for it.

Can anyone offer any advice on removing the top dash?

Thanks in advance.

there is no dash top so to speak, if you want it out you need to remove the whole thing!

Surely the (I assume its a parrot blutooth kit) has a wire going into somewhere? They certainly wouldnt have took the dash out to install it. post a pic of it and we will tell you how to remove it!

Oh, I see. It's not a parrot kit, I can't remember the name of it but I'll go and grab a pic in a second.

Basically, the touchscreen unit is stuck to the dash with the wires going into the glovebox. Then the tax disc is a special aerial for it so a wire goes to there, and the microphone is installed up by the courtesy light on the rooflining. I've had the stereo out and there's a big box of tricks in the void behind that where all the wires feed from.

It's a bury touchscreen system. I've tried to show where all the cables go in the pics.

11082010096.jpg

11082010092.jpg

11082010093.jpg

11082010095.jpg

Yep - they won't have taken the whole dash out. Can you trace which way (passenger or driver) they've routed the microphone cable up to the headlining? It should be pretty easy to sneak that back out. Same with the tax disc aerial - probably disconnects at the 'box' end then with the glovebox out you should be able to tease that out too...

On the other hand, the Bury system is excellent - not worth keeping, just in case?