Sachs Clutch and SMF for S3

gc1989

Reaction score
Hi, looking into the above modification. Does anyone on the forum run this clutch and flywheel? Where is the best place to buy these items from.

Thanks in advance, Gary

Last edited:
I use the same sachs kit with smf on my 2.0tdi. Car is running 470nm torque no probs, no slip, no compliants. Noisy on idle but thats because its a diesel wont be bad on petrol

Hi, looking into the above modification. Does anyone on the forum run this clutch and flywheel? Where is the best place to buy these items from.

Thanks in advance, Gary

If your going for the SMF clutch kit, dont go with sach since they have a known problem of not being able to change gear above 5500rpm in hard accelaration, go for something from helix or southbend, both companys don't have any reported with there SMF kit problems. Unless if your going for a DMF kit then sach is the way to go, just my 2p

If your going for the SMF clutch kit, dont go with sach since they have a known problem of not being able to change gear above 5500rpm in hard accelaration, go for something from helix or southbend, both companys don't have any reported with there SMF kit problems. Unless if your going for a DMF kit then sach is the way to go, just my 2p

I didn't know that problem was with all SACHS SMFs man? just a few random people?

I'm reading with intrested as this will be my next mod!

Unless wanting massive power gains, I would stay with the stock DMF and sachs uprated clutch!

Ditto. Have seen some failures on supercharged R32 lumps running SMF's and each one cracked crankshaft. Supposedly the DMF (whilst admittedly problematic itself) helps to alleviate some of the unwanted resonances and vibrations which can put strain on the crank. I'd rather be replacing a DMF once in a while rather than risking the SMF for now. Tough call, but I'll be playing safe, and hence why I have no plans for mods above Stg2+.