EM TuningJMB Retrofits
    Reverse Gear

Status

S3 seems slower off the mark (to 2nd gear) after a few months of owning?

Hi Folks,

I've had my 07 S3 since May this year. The thing is it just doesn't seem to have the 'kick' it did when I first got it.

It feels heavier from standstill and through to 2nd gear. But after that, say from 4000 rpm onwards it seems to pull ok. It just doesn't seem to scare me the way it did when I first got it.

Am I going mad?, or is there something I need to look into or check?

There are no warning lights, I can still hear the Turbo when I give it some welly. Running on V-Power.

Thanks
    James

2. # ADS
    ADS

Need for Speed

Status
    sounds like you've got used to it. so doesnt seem as quick - drive a transit for a month then get back in it. it'll seem rapid again then.

Pii
    4th Gear

Status
    Time for a remap?

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrellspeed View Post
    sounds like you've got used to it. so doesnt seem as quick - drive a transit for a month then get back in it. it'll seem rapid again then.
    Transit!!...
    I had read of issues with Diverter Valves you see. The thing is you read stuff on this forum (which is great btw) but then you become a Car Hypochondriac!!

1st Gear

Status
    All it means is you will be spending considerable money on mods in the near future to give you that kick again!
    2008 Audi S3
    REVO Stage 1

5th Gear

Status
    Maybe the muggy weather affecting it...... Or your bored already!!! Should have got a V6 hahahaha

Pii
    4th Gear

Status
    lol well said BOSSS3

tku
    3rd Gear

Status
    Put it this way, I have had my S3 for 7 months now and had a remap a month ago and it feels slower everyday. This isn't good. Just makes you CRAVE power.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by edition View Post
    Maybe the muggy weather affecting it...... Or your bored already!!! Should have got a V6 hahahaha
    I've felt this for a few weeks so unsure if it's weather related. It is likely that I have got used to it I suppose.

I did consider the V6 (A3, and R32). But the A3 was too understated and looked like a standard A3. The Golf, well,...... was a Golf. I had just sold a Golf Gti so fancied something else.

Neutral

Status
    i think the same about mine but i know its just because im used to it.saving up for a new clutch first before i get a remap!

tku
    3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by edition View Post
    He said he misses his kick. Don't think a V6 helps there.

Enthusiast

Status
    You just got used to it mate. I was excited with the kick on a standard 2.0tdi 140pd when I first bought it. Few months later remap and now even that feels sluggish.
    VCDS USER

Neutral

Status
    time for a reset perhaps?!... unless you're driving like you stole it everyday, the car tends to learn the way you drive and it kind of "softens" the responsiveness.

I think disconnecting the battery and leaving for a few mins will reset the car... I'm sure someone will come along soon to confirm how to do a reset soon enough! I've definitely read someone elses post about how great the car felt straight after the reset.

S3 (8P)

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Pii View Post
    Time for a remap?
    Good call..(thumbs smilley) (where the feck are the smileys BTW??)
    Now:
    -MK2 Golf Gti 16V/VR6, Oak Green, Shrick, Intake, Decat, Kish Retrim, Lenso BSX..
    -BMW 335d Xdrive, Estoril Blue, fully loaded.

Before:
    S3 (8P), Ibis, DSG, Milltek, SHARK

BMW 320d M Sport
    S3 (8P), Sprint, REVO, H&R Springs, BBS CHs,

Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - REVO Stage1, Red.
    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - Std, Shadow Blue
    Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK4 GTi 18T - 200bhp, MTM ECU, Forge DV
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    Corrado G60 - JAMEX, BRM Charger rebuild
    etc....

Ads
    License to drive

Status
    If you've got vagcom/vcds do a few 0-60mph logs, see if it's slower than it's supposed to be.
    My 2.0T felt slower after a few weeks of driving so I did another 0-60 log. Found out it was just as quick/slow as it was when I bought it and it was feeling fast.

5th Gear

Status
    You've just got used it , simple as...drive something slower for a few days and youll be amazed when you jump back in.
    P.S Get a remap
    A3 2.0TFSI quattro Sportback Lava Grey | | GIAC K03 Extreme Map | Autotech HPFP | RS4 Fuel Regulator | Neuspeed P-Flo | BSH PCV Fix | MV Sport DP | S3 Intake Cam | 285 BHP & 320 lb Ft Torque
    Votex Kit | TD Pro race 1.2 | Schwarze Audi Rings | Alu Rails | Sachs Clutch | H & R Now gone. Current- A5 Cab 2012

A3 Fan

Status
    The thing is it just doesn't seem to have the 'kick' it did when I first got it.

It feels heavier from standstill........It just doesn't seem to scare me the way it did when I first got it.
    Had a girlfriend just like that!! The guys are right you get used to it after a while, go pull a transit and when you get back in you'll realise what you have!!
    Some people walk in the rain others just get wet

Ads
    License to drive

Status
    I agree, it's more than likely that your car feels slower because you have got used to it, and driving a slower vehicle and then getting back into yours will make it feel "fast" again.
    HOWEVER, this doesn't confirm that your car hasn't become a little sluggish. I mean.... if I drove a transit van and then a XR2, the XR2 would feel pretty rapid too!

If it is feeling slower off the mark then a 0-60 log will at least confirm that it is or isn't accelerating as it should be.
    If you see a time of roughly what it should be (around 5 and a half seconds???) then you have your confirmation that it is running pretty much as it should and therefore almost certainly not any slower than it was.

Neutral

Status
    Hi James,

If your DV blows you'll know about it. Mine blew on a 270 mile journey on a private road in a country without speed limits.... One minute it was quite happy, then next it was struggling to accelerate from 80 in 6th. I did a rough 0 - 60 time and it was around 9 seconds.....

They do seem slower once you have had them for a while but they are slower when it is warmer...warm air is thinner.....

Dean

2.0TFSI 8P, Forge DV, Revo Stg 1.

Pii
    4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulAr View Post
    Good call..(thumbs smilley) (where the feck are the smileys BTW??)
    Smiles don't seem available on white theme lol.

Pii
    4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by aythreee View Post
    I agree, it's more than likely that your car feels slower because you have got used to it, and driving a slower vehicle and then getting back into yours will make it feel "fast" again.
    HOWEVER, this doesn't confirm that your car hasn't become a little sluggish. I mean.... if I drove a transit van and then a XR2, the XR2 would feel pretty rapid too!

If it is feeling slower off the mark then a 0-60 log will at least confirm that it is or isn't accelerating as it should be.
    If you see a time of roughly what it should be (around 5 and a half seconds???) then you have your confirmation that it is running pretty much as it should and therefore almost certainly not any slower than it was.
    What's this? A serious aythree??? Who the heck are you and what have you done with the real aythree?

Pii
    4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by dean_watford View Post
    Hi James,

If your DV blows you'll know about it. Mine blew on a 270 mile journey on a private road in a country without speed limits.... One minute it was quite happy, then next it was struggling to accelerate from 80 in 6th. I did a rough 0 - 60 time and it was around 9 seconds.....

They do seem slower once you have had them for a while but they are slower when it is warmer...warm air is thinner.....

Dean

2.0TFSI 8P, Forge DV, Revo Stg 1.
    Hey dean how did you know your DV blew?

Apologies if it's obvious but I'm a mechanical retard.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Hey, thanks for your replies. I appreciate the advice.

I might hold off getting a new DV for now until I'm satisfied that's not just in my head. (I noted that VAG do an uprated part.)

I'll try the reset option and I'll do the 0-60 times and see what I get at the weekend. I used to have vag com but it may be worth investing in it again.

Quite a few suggestions on getting a re-map from you guys. Might be for a separate topic but can someone tell me if they hurt the car in anyway i.e kill expensive things early likes turbo's, and if they use more fuel?

The transit suggestion still keeps on giving......! :-)

tku
    3rd Gear

Status
    From what I have gathered from fellower audi-sporters if you stay stage 1 you should be fine.

Pii
    4th Gear

Status
    A few memember have needed to upgrade the infamous audi 'mash potatoe clutch' after remap.

Sachs clutch appears to be the favoured upgrade here and I think some people replace the fly wheel at the same time as a damanged clutch can also damage the flywheel (information all over the forum around this).

Do a read up as I have a memory of a fish can may have gotten myself easily confused over other facts.

Lost in music...

Status
    Smiles don't seem available on white theme lol.
    Slightly off topic, but go advanced on the reply. The smiles are all there then.

Although you then press the icon on the toolbar & they drop down...behind the text box.

You have to use the ones underneath the text box. Will be sorted apparently...

(also used to the S3 power kick, so remapping soon)

1st Gear

Status
    Try and go for some data logging if you have access to VCDS. That should tell you if it's the car or the imagination. Check pressure, timing, any retards, if fuel pressure requested and actual match, fuel ratio etc. If anything is wrong you should be able to see it.

Ads
    License to drive

Status
    What's this? A serious aythree??? Who the heck are you and what have you done with the real aythree?
    I limit myself to one serious post per 100.

Although there was a hint of a joke in there somewhere, I think.....

Quote Originally Posted by aythreee View Post
    if I drove a transit van and then a XR2, the XR2 would feel pretty rapid too!