Sky InsuranceChris Nott
    Reverse Gear

Status

will 235/45/17 work on A3? or stick to 225/45/17?

Hello,

I am searching on ebay 17" wheels with tires mounted (5 spoke s-line model) and I find many from A4 and A6. They have ET45 and it seems that is also ok for the A3. But most of them have fitted 235/45/17 tires. Should I buy them like this or stick with 225/45/17? What are the problems/risks?

Thank you!
    a3 2.0 tdi BKD 103kw

2. # ADS
    ADS

is a retronaut

Status
    I know people fit thinner tyres (especially in Germany) but I've never heard of putting fatter on, no idea but I would always suggest sticking to the right tyre for the wheel.
    8P2 S3

For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

MPG the new BPH

Status
    i agree could affect conering. as far as i am aware sline wheels are 18" only mate on an a3? if you want some 17"s i am selling some off an 06 plate sport

2009 (58) plate audi A3 Sline 2.0TDI, DRL's with washers, Half Leather / Alcantara, I Pod Aux, 15% tints / EM tuning L.E.D. interior upgrade, fully machine corrected!

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks for the answers, I'll stick with 225/45/17.
    I live in Belgium. I don't know exactly what kind of wheels you have, I need to see a photo.
    a3 2.0 tdi BKD 103kw

Reverse Gear

Status
    I put 225/45/16 on wheels that origionally had 215/45/16's - no issues whatsoever except it didnt improve the body roll - it got worse but i cant see an issue with you putting on those wheels

MPG the new BPH

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by kaitracid View Post
    Thanks for the answers, I'll stick with 225/45/17.
    I live in Belgium. I don't know exactly what kind of wheels you have, I need to see a photo.
    it would cost you more than the wheels are worth to dive and get them. i have the sport ones
    same as these mate http://images.clickedit.co.uk/944/car_id_27440_1.jpg

2009 (58) plate audi A3 Sline 2.0TDI, DRL's with washers, Half Leather / Alcantara, I Pod Aux, 15% tints / EM tuning L.E.D. interior upgrade, fully machine corrected!

Reverse Gear

Status
    Nally, I am looking for a different model. Looking for them at ebay.de, since is closer to me.
    Ok, since everyone is saying to go only for 225/45/17, I'll do that. I don't want the risc of damaging something with the car.
    If any new opinios, pleas write.
    Thanks for the help, guys!
    a3 2.0 tdi BKD 103kw

5th Gear

Status
    Would just stick to 225/45 on your 17s, 235/45 will increase your rolling radius and will have a fatter /taller side wall, which will detriment your handling and affect your speedo.
    A3 2.0TFSI quattro Sportback Lava Grey | | GIAC K03 Extreme Map | Autotech HPFP | RS4 Fuel Regulator | Neuspeed P-Flo | BSH PCV Fix | MV Sport DP | S3 Intake Cam | 285 BHP & 320 lb Ft Torque
    Votex Kit | TD Pro race 1.2 | Schwarze Audi Rings | Alu Rails | Sachs Clutch | H & R Now gone. Current- A5 Cab 2012

2nd Gear

Status
    The wheels and tyres you are looking at are from an A4 or A6 which is a bigger and heavyer car with a higher load rated tyre. The offset will be differant to the wheels used on the A3.

They may well fit but the wider tyres will actualy give less grip as the cars weight is not optimised for the size of tyre fitted.