Ariel Fin, Without Satnav

r3stu

Reaction score
Anyone fitted a shark fin that hasnt got Satnav in the car?

Seen a few copys on ebay... anyone bought 1 on there?

If they did it would be just a dummy, you not happy with your radio reception then?

I just meant for looks, wondering if the ebay copys are a match for the genuine ones?

Last edited:
The ebay ones tend to look more like the modern BMW ones, more sharky! If you get what i mean?

Mine has the factory bluetooth & has a sharkfin (which I 've just started to untilise now that i have the RSAP adapter fitted). Are the sharkfin's multipurpose in so much as they perform as a GPS antennae as well?

Mine has the factory bluetooth & has a sharkfin (which I 've just started to untilise now that i have the RSAP adapter fitted). Are the sharkfin's multipurpose in so much as they perform as a GPS antennae as well?

A far as i know the shark fin is GPS only. The radio still gets reception from the rear screen whether you have RNS-e or not.

A far as i know the shark fin is GPS only. The radio still gets reception from the rear screen whether you have RNS-e or not.
The FM and AM radio always gets signal from the hatch glass, NEVER from the sharkfin no matter what, so that bit is correct.

-However, the sharkfin isn't GPS only. Satellite radio uses it also.

All US A3's come fitted with sharkfins, but petty car crime isn't such an issue in most places over here. -In the UK -specially in the northwest- I'd think twice about sticking a fin on the car, in case it 'marked it out' as potentially having something worth snatching inside it, for just the effort of a broken window.

Keith

Sorry, think I've perhaps phrased my initial post poorly (and do not mean to take thread off topic!!)

My car doesn't have nav - but has the factory bluetooth prep low - and has come with the sharkfin as factory. I'm assuming the sharkfin is the aerial for the phone kit, which as mentioned will only be activated through the use of a RSAP kit or a tailored phone cradle. By having the sharkfin in place, does this assist the retrofit of an RNS-E?

The BT antenna plugs right into the bluetooth module, under one of the front seats... so far as I know.

But yes, the RNS-E can either use a 'puck' antenna which can be hidden under the dash, or you can run a long extension to the back of the car and use the sharkfin on the roof.

-The above is true for all US A3's certainly, but we don't get the 3-door version, so I can't speak for them, but I'd assume its' the same.

Keith

The sharkfin is fitted for either phone prep or nav (or both obviously) but I believe they only run the necessary cables. If you have the sharkfin but no nav then you'd need to run a cable all the way through the roof to the fin to make use of it.

Sorry, think I've perhaps phrased my initial post poorly (and do not mean to take thread off topic!!)

My car doesn't have nav - but has the factory bluetooth prep low - and has come with the sharkfin as factory. I'm assuming the sharkfin is the aerial for the phone kit, which as mentioned will only be activated through the use of a RSAP kit or a tailored phone cradle. By having the sharkfin in place, does this assist the retrofit of an RNS-E?

Have you noticed any difference with the RSAP? My phone reception has always been good enough in the car really.

Have you noticed any difference with the RSAP? My phone reception has always been good enough in the car really.

Sorry for delay!

Main reason for the RSAP for me was the suspend mode that the kit puts the handset in - really saves battery drain. Also I managed to acquire 2 units - one for my A5 (where a spend most of my time) and one for the A3. On each the RSAP adpater gave a different benefit. On the A5 - the phone had a habit of losing connection to the phone book - this is now totally remidied with he adapter - plus reception is seldom below 4 or 5 bars, which means much less dropped calls. On the A3 - the boon for me was to also then have controls on the RSAP unit to scroll through the phone book and have some way of making a hands free call wehn the engine was off and the controls on the MFSW were not enabled

Sorry for delay!

Main reason for the RSAP for me was the suspend mode that the kit puts the handset in - really saves battery drain. Also I managed to acquire 2 units - one for my A5 (where a spend most of my time) and one for the A3. On each the RSAP adpater gave a different benefit. On the A5 - the phone had a habit of losing connection to the phone book - this is now totally remidied with he adapter - plus reception is seldom below 4 or 5 bars, which means much less dropped calls. On the A3 - the boon for me was to also then have controls on the RSAP unit to scroll through the phone book and have some way of making a hands free call wehn the engine was off and the controls on the MFSW were not enabled

Thanks for the reply. I don't think I'm really going to get any benefits personally so I'll give it a miss.