Volks AutosChris Nott
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ayrshire
    Posts
    106

    Ariel Fin, Without Satnav

    Anyone fitted a shark fin that hasnt got Satnav in the car?

    Seen a few copys on ebay... anyone bought 1 on there?

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Telford
    Posts
    2,484
    If they did it would be just a dummy, you not happy with your radio reception then?
    B6 1.8T Avant s line gmbh

  4. #3
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ayrshire
    Posts
    106
    I just meant for looks, wondering if the ebay copys are a match for the genuine ones?
    Last edited by r3stu; 5th August 2010 at 17:51.

  5. #4
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Telford
    Posts
    2,484
    The ebay ones tend to look more like the modern BMW ones, more sharky! If you get what i mean?
    B6 1.8T Avant s line gmbh

  6. #5
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ayrshire
    Posts
    106
    Yea i get what you mean, I thought this 1 looked like the genuine style

    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Painted-Audi-A...23142635108258

  7. #6
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    66
    Mine has the factory bluetooth & has a sharkfin (which I 've just started to untilise now that i have the RSAP adapter fitted). Are the sharkfin's multipurpose in so much as they perform as a GPS antennae as well?

  8. #7
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Telford
    Posts
    2,484
    Quote Originally Posted by IanMcA3 View Post
    Mine has the factory bluetooth & has a sharkfin (which I 've just started to untilise now that i have the RSAP adapter fitted). Are the sharkfin's multipurpose in so much as they perform as a GPS antennae as well?
    A far as i know the shark fin is GPS only. The radio still gets reception from the rear screen whether you have RNS-e or not.
    B6 1.8T Avant s line gmbh

  9. #8
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Florida (previously Liverpool)
    Posts
    655
    A far as i know the shark fin is GPS only. The radio still gets reception from the rear screen whether you have RNS-e or not.
    The FM and AM radio always gets signal from the hatch glass, NEVER from the sharkfin no matter what, so that bit is correct.

    -However, the sharkfin isn't GPS only. Satellite radio uses it also.

    All US A3's come fitted with sharkfins, but petty car crime isn't such an issue in most places over here. -In the UK -specially in the northwest- I'd think twice about sticking a fin on the car, in case it 'marked it out' as potentially having something worth snatching inside it, for just the effort of a broken window.

    Keith

  10. #9
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    66
    Sorry, think I've perhaps phrased my initial post poorly (and do not mean to take thread off topic!!)

    My car doesn't have nav - but has the factory bluetooth prep low - and has come with the sharkfin as factory. I'm assuming the sharkfin is the aerial for the phone kit, which as mentioned will only be activated through the use of a RSAP kit or a tailored phone cradle. By having the sharkfin in place, does this assist the retrofit of an RNS-E?

  11. #10
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Florida (previously Liverpool)
    Posts
    655
    The BT antenna plugs right into the bluetooth module, under one of the front seats... so far as I know.

    But yes, the RNS-E can either use a 'puck' antenna which can be hidden under the dash, or you can run a long extension to the back of the car and use the sharkfin on the roof.

    -The above is true for all US A3's certainly, but we don't get the 3-door version, so I can't speak for them, but I'd assume its' the same.

    Keith

  12. #11
    Vertigo1's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,483
    The sharkfin is fitted for either phone prep or nav (or both obviously) but I believe they only run the necessary cables. If you have the sharkfin but no nav then you'd need to run a cable all the way through the roof to the fin to make use of it.
    Daytona Grey Audi A3 2.0TDI 150 S-Line with Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Alcantara/Leather seats, B&O sound, DAB radio, Folding/dimming mirrors

  13. #12
    vw754's Avatar
    vorsprung Durch Technik

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    U.K
    Posts
    1,851
    Quote Originally Posted by r3stu View Post
    Yea i get what you mean, I thought this 1 looked like the genuine style

    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Painted-Audi-A...23142635108258
    BUY THE ONE FROM VW MAIN DEALER A DUMMY ONE 10.00 ! I DID THEN HAD IT PAINTED.LOOKS THE BIZ.
    Full leather/19"wheels/cruise/

  14. #13
    Staz's Avatar
    is a retronaut

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bristol (mostly)
    Posts
    6,147
    Quote Originally Posted by IanMcA3 View Post
    Sorry, think I've perhaps phrased my initial post poorly (and do not mean to take thread off topic!!)

    My car doesn't have nav - but has the factory bluetooth prep low - and has come with the sharkfin as factory. I'm assuming the sharkfin is the aerial for the phone kit, which as mentioned will only be activated through the use of a RSAP kit or a tailored phone cradle. By having the sharkfin in place, does this assist the retrofit of an RNS-E?
    Have you noticed any difference with the RSAP? My phone reception has always been good enough in the car really.
    8P2 S3

    For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

  15. #14
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by Staz View Post
    Have you noticed any difference with the RSAP? My phone reception has always been good enough in the car really.
    Sorry for delay!

    Main reason for the RSAP for me was the suspend mode that the kit puts the handset in - really saves battery drain. Also I managed to acquire 2 units - one for my A5 (where a spend most of my time) and one for the A3. On each the RSAP adpater gave a different benefit. On the A5 - the phone had a habit of losing connection to the phone book - this is now totally remidied with he adapter - plus reception is seldom below 4 or 5 bars, which means much less dropped calls. On the A3 - the boon for me was to also then have controls on the RSAP unit to scroll through the phone book and have some way of making a hands free call wehn the engine was off and the controls on the MFSW were not enabled

  16. #15
    Staz's Avatar
    is a retronaut

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bristol (mostly)
    Posts
    6,147
    Quote Originally Posted by IanMcA3 View Post
    Sorry for delay!

    Main reason for the RSAP for me was the suspend mode that the kit puts the handset in - really saves battery drain. Also I managed to acquire 2 units - one for my A5 (where a spend most of my time) and one for the A3. On each the RSAP adpater gave a different benefit. On the A5 - the phone had a habit of losing connection to the phone book - this is now totally remidied with he adapter - plus reception is seldom below 4 or 5 bars, which means much less dropped calls. On the A3 - the boon for me was to also then have controls on the RSAP unit to scroll through the phone book and have some way of making a hands free call wehn the engine was off and the controls on the MFSW were not enabled
    Thanks for the reply. I don't think I'm really going to get any benefits personally so I'll give it a miss.
    8P2 S3

    For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO