Decided to have a bash at refurbing my S3 wheels....

terrymcg

Reaction score
I have decided to start refurbing the wheels on my 57 plate S3. When I bought it the dealers had refurbed the wheels pretty crapply to say the least. The usual spraying over dirt, laying it on to thick etc..
So I bought a kerbed wheel from ebay for £50. It was in a sorry state with a big old gash in one of the spokes and loads of kerbing all round.
I am using the Wurth wheel paint, primer and lacquer. I am not going to do a full write up as there are quite a few on here already. Just thought I post up some pics just to show what you can do your self for the price of getting just one wheel done, and you know its done properly!
If anyone does want any help, feel free to shout and Ill help where I can.
Anyway heres the pics of the first one...

Ebay pic first, as I never took a before:
Bw--ZqQEWkKGrHqVjMEv10Cq3dBMLejVQTSw_12.jpg

And here are 2 afters, think I will add a further coat of clear tommorow:
NewImage.jpg

photo.jpg

I am chuffed with the outcome so far, considering I have never done this before. Any I have read that the Wurth paint should easily stand up to the test of time.

Saw these on detailingworld... very good effort

I would be well chuffed if i had done that

:respekt:

good job mate spot on i work as a car valeter and i refurb wheels everyday and thats a really good job fair play

Looks like a great job!
Where did you get the wurth paint from.Is it readily available?Also what filler did you use for the curbed bits..anything special?

Cheers
Andy

Did you do the whole wheel or just the bits that were scratched?

I will give this ago myself

Looks like a great job!
Where did you get the wurth paint from.Is it readily available?Also what filler did you use for the curbed bits..anything special?

Cheers
Andy
Yeah there is a seller that does a good deal on ebay. 2 Cans of Primer, 2 Cans of Silver and 2 Cans of Clear for £58. It says the 6 cans is enough for 4 wheels, but I doubt it is as I am doing the insides as well as the faces. The word on the Net is that Wurth is the paint all Germans brands use for their wheels, so its an exact match. Which I can say it is! Just type in Wurth Wheel Paint and you will find it!

Did you do the whole wheel or just the bits that were scratched?

I will give this ago myself

Yes mate I am doing the whole wheel. Insides and Faces.

Would be interested in knowing more about how you did your wheels.
Some more photos before and after, showing the damaged areas and then the same areas repaired.

I had a go at refurbing a scuff yesterday and mine looks like my 5 year old daughter did it!!
And the sleeve of my jacket ended up more silver than the wheel.

Would be interested in knowing more about how you did your wheels.
Some more photos before and after, showing the damaged areas and then the same areas repaired.

I had a go at refurbing a scuff yesterday and mine looks like my 5 year old daughter did it!!

No problem, once this one goes on the car, ill take more pics while doing the next one.

Thanks for the info guys.I'll be having a go at this very soon.

Once I am done, another 3 done, Ill have a spare S3 wheel going if someone else want it so they can do one at a time.

haha!! communal S3 wheel doing the rounds, noice.
Looks like a good job and as said, it must be pretty satisfying to see good results.
I've been looking into doing this, what did you use as filler?

I am using ISOPON Metalik. Its about a fiver fro Halfords for a big tub. Its reall y easy to use, sands easily and goes rock hard in about 10 mins.

WOW! That looks really good.

I would be happy if I referb my wheels myself.

More pics and guidance on the process would be great terry.

Good job :rock: