Looking to buy my first audi! but need help

R55 MRU

Reaction score
My budget is 5 thousand pounds and im looking for a 1.9tdi or 2.0tdi 2004 plate split grille audi a3.

I have never owned a diesel before and never had an audi before so could people please tell me what i will be expecting around this budget of 5 thousand I know that the cambelt and waterpump will be important also how much am i looking at these parts to be replaced?

I hope this forum will be as much help as im expecting all you nice people to be. Looking through the forums i can see some people know theyre stuff.

Note: i had a search but i could not really find what i was looking for.

Welcome to the forum mate.

With that budget the car will have high miles but there a few 2003 A3 2.0FSI on autotrader for £5k or £5,500 with less than 80K. I've never owned a diesel sorry, but can try and help. Just make sure its got full service history, cambelt and water pump been changed. If you get a DSG (automatic) make sure the dsg oil been changed every 40k. Make sure nothing leaking or the exhaust nots blowing smoke. I'd be a bit worried about the turbo aswell. May even be worth getting some one to check the car you want over like a RAC inspection or some thing. Im pretty sure some of the diesel guys can you give alot more better information to go on then mine. Sorry not able to help.

Ashley

Hey mate i appreciate you trying to help even though you are not a diesel type of guy any input is better than none atall.. I understand that the turbo will need looking at. My brother and dad are both mechanics so should be able to inspect it quite well. I am making sure that the cambelt and waterpump have been done. And preferably going for a diesel over the petrol because of the insurance being cheaper on the diesel

I think you'l be lucky to pick up a 2004 diesal for 5 grand mate, The 1.6 fsi and 2.0 fsi both petrol are still selling for more than than on a 53 plate,unless you find one with a starship miles its gonna be tough.I think if you add another 1k to your budget you could well find one with less than 100k on the clock.

Mick

Understand what your saying mate an extra grand does go a long way... i looked on auto trader and the mileage goes like this 5000 looking around 110 to 140 thousand miles 6 grand and upto 80 thousand miles maybe 90....

I know you say you want an Audi, but have you considered a Mk5 Golf TDi? They sell for less than the A3's do...

I have considered it mate but im just more fond of the audi having driven both of them to me the audi feels more luxury.

For 5k i'd be getting a Fabia Vrs ;-)

5k will get you a tired low spec TDI. Once you buy it you will notice all the S lines sporting about and slowly but surely you will start wanting all the cool bits yours will be missing........and these bits are pricey and in demand!

If you want an Audi you need to fork out. If you cant afford a good one, it will only cost you in the long run. Cambelt and water pump is about £400, it will soon add up. Alhough even with 140k on they still drive pretty well, especially if its all motorway.

I will be making my car look a tad better than the Slines as i will be doing a full s3 rep eventually on it... I am a sprayer so the paint costs are literally zero to me. Its just i dont want to spend any more than 5 on the car.... i know the mileage will be a bit sorry for itself and i know i will need to do the cambelt and waterpump but ill do that myself as my brother is a mechanic and my dad is an ex ferrari mechanic fresh form the maranello factory. Id rather do it myself. saves the costs basically im trying to judge wether all this is beneficial to me.

I paid 5100 for a 53 2.0TDI SE (so double grill...I kinda like the double grill anyway!) with 88k on it on ebay and i think I got a good deal tbh. I was "in the market" for ages looking for the right (cheap enough) car with reasonably (for my budget) miles.

excellent to hear mate .... How has the car done you for reliability etc like cambelt waterpumps turbo etc? would be good to hear from someone who is in the same position as me and taken the chance on a car with a bit of history

Last edited:
88k.....I've only done 2k in it, had it about 2 months or so, so I can't really comment with reliability. The service book says cambelt etc was done at 80k and the servicing has been done by the looks of the book. It needed a wheel bearing doing but that's not major really (£150 inc labour).

I love it anyway, looks awesome in red.