Emisson warning light and Particle warning Light on..

Alba77

Reaction score
Had both these lights come on in car today, so off I trott to local dealer.. Im told "cant drive it anymore till its been fixed as you will do more damage"..
Im bricking it with what their gonna come back with re cost.. Warranty just ran out 2weeks ago, and as Im looking at getting a new car didnt bother renewing it!!:crying:
Its as if the car knows its not under warranty anymore!!!
garage are running a diagnostics on the car today, will then call me with a price to fix it.. Just in time for me needing the car drive from Glasgow to Wales end of the week...:ermm:

Anyone got any ideas to what damage / cost will be?

It could be DPF sooted up. This can happen if the car doesnt go into regeneration mode when it burns off the soot. This has been know to happen on cars that havent been driven hard enough or that do short journeys only!! You buy a diesel & drive it economically then your told thats whats causing the problems!!!! Not sure if it will just need to have the cycle forced or a new filter. I could however be completely wrong LOL

If it is soot build-up then they ought to be able to clear it although I understand that, if it's really bad, a new DPF is needed which costs a fair bit.

If they try to charge you for this then I'd kick up hell if I were you. Firstly point out that the warranty has only just expired. Secondly, if they do the old "too many short journeys and you should have given it a good blast on the motorway now and then", ask them why this wasn't explained before you bought the car!