Tweeter (BOSE)

steve184

Reaction score
I had the A pillar trim swapped a while ago by the dealer when my car was in warranty because it made noises sometimes (annoyance noises) and i've been convinced ever since that the tweeter is no longer working - is there a really simple way to check?

I've tried fading the music to the front right, reducing bass and middle to lowest point, but still can't tell whether there is any sound coming from the tweeter to be honest.

You can remove the speaker grill from the door card easily, unscrew the speaker out and disconnect the front speaker.

Then go into your settings on your head unit and fade everything to the side of the suspected broken tweeter. If you dont hear anything then it is a dud.

If it is a dud, I am not sure what Audi's policy is on Audio parts like speakers. They might consider them as "wear and tare" and not cover them under warrenty. Something I have not experienced but since they removed your A pillar, you could argue that it was damaged by them.

Sounds good. How easy is it to get the speaker out of the door/grill off etc? Do you have to remove the door card?

Why not just turn up the volume, open the door wide, stand outside the car and lean your ears as close to the tweeter as possible?

You should be able to hear the tweeter sound a lot better this way.

Make sense?

Makes perfect sense - i just wanted to do it in a way which was more subtle - suspect i may look like a bit of a pillock doing this!

Do it in the dark and no one will see!!! When you do it, turn the treble to max on the headunit to make the tweeters work harder...

Lol - put a cloth in your left hand then and make it seem like your cleaning the dash or something :eyebrows:

Just go to the far side of the speaker grill, closest to the engine and just give it a light tug - should easily come out.

I do not think you have to take the door card off but if you do, there are 3 torque screws on the underside (T15 IIRC), 3 behind the door trim (just get an edge and pull) and one in where the door handle is. Give the door card a wee tug from the bottom and it should easily come off. Maybe have your window down as well as the top of the door card is tucked into the top of the door frame!

Ok I just tried something that might help you.

- play music
- open door wide
- Stand close the the pillar
- Cup the tweeter with your left hand
- You should hear a distinct change in the sound being projected from the tweeter

Either do this is take Boydies advice but my suggestion takes 5 seconds.

Good Luck.