JMB RetrofitsBadger5
    Reverse Gear

Status

How over-the-top are main dealer used prices for S3s?

On Saturday I'm going to look at an S3 at a main dealer. It's done ~2000 miles, belonged to VW-Audi group internally, registered at the start of this year and with a pretty good spec (Sprint Blue SB, S-tronic, AMI, Bose, adaptive lights, magnetic, cruise, DVD satnav, light and rain, phone prep low, heated steering wheel, roof rails - basically the exact spec I want, but today rather than 5 months from now...).

They want 32k for it and I'm finding it difficult to get a feel for what the price should be, since Parker's etc. only get interested when the car is about 10 months old. If it was a private sale it would be well under 30k, I suspect, low mileage notwithstanding.

Any help would be appreciated. Now back to detailing my MINI to within an inch of its life.

Rob.

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    I will let the others give you an indication on price but I would be questioning what the car has been doing beloning to VW-Audi group.....

Press car? Loan Car? Company car?

Reverse Gear

Status
    Heated steering wheel eh? Thats worth 32k alone! Is it 3d or 5d?

I ordered my new S3 BE SB S-Tronic which is to be delivered in September as a 60 plate. It's Phantom Black with FTWI, Adaptive and high beam assist, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Tech Pack and First Aid Kit (the missus's idea!) - I got that for 31k.

Now if it has been within the group I would suggest you could knock quite a lot off it as they bought it cheap and its not as if its a part exchange where they need to make some money on?

Reverse Gear

Status
    They gave me a spiel about it being used effectively as a company car for someone within the wider group. No way to verify it, I guess.

Reverse Gear

Status
    SB. The steering wheel piqued my curiosity as well! Not an option I knew existed and certainly not one that I'd want. Cooled wheel and seats would be much more useful gadgets.

Ads
    License to drive

Status
    2000 miles of pure unadulterated hammering I bet, many times from a cold start. A free S3, only to be kept for a few months.... I know I would.

5th Gear

Status
    That was my thoughts on it Aythreee....

I mean if you onl keep it in warrenty I guess it's not an issue.....

I guess tyre and brake condition might tell you whats what....

It's obviously been spec'd up by Audi for some reason. The heated steering wheel is an option in some countries but not in the UK. Audi do sell quite a number of various models that they have had for their own use through dealers. It's quite normal.

Personally I would much rather buy a car of that sort of price through a dealer than a private sale. If it's a private sale there is always the possibility it's been stolen!
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

5th Gear

Status
    Dave, there are pros and cons of buy from either.....

If it's a one owner car that you can go and see where it's lived and what the owner is like, I think it can be a positive especially as you know if anything is wrong it's under warrenty anyway! You can check that it's not stolen before parting with your dosh.

The only issue with a 2k S3 car is that it's the kind of car that could see abuse.......

Ads
    License to drive

Status
    Yeah I agree. A privately owned car, and especially one that costs 30k, will more than likely looked after by the owner. Whereas a 30k high performance car given to someone gratis for a few months.... caned!

Example: My boss comes up to me and gives me a brand new S3......

I drive slowly away from building until out of site, then.....

........it's revved to death, from every set of traffic lights, everytime. Even when up against Vauxhall Novas.

Gievf Buckets

Status
    ive found dealership prices for the s3 on afverage to be 2-4k over to book value regardless of age condition and spec, id offer them no more than 30k for it

2007 S3 PhantomSchwartz

Spec | Auto Lights | Black Headlining | RNS-E with 6 CD Changer | Phone Prep | Facelift Tails | MFSW | Cruise | Bluetooth | Adaptive Bi-xenon Headlights |

Mods
    | MY10 Facelift | 75% LED's | Sepang Bronze Facelift Alloys

Plans | LED 3dr tails | BBK Setup | Some BBS | Custom TBE |

Quote Originally Posted by N8
    Yes, but they are OEM Phaeton Helios alloy wheels, not cheap ****e aftermarket piles of poop.

Quote Originally Posted by P5SND View Post
    ive found dealership prices for the s3 on afverage to be 2-4k over to book value regardless of age condition and spec, id offer them no more than 30k for it
    True, but on a second-hand car that's only a starting point!!

I used to work with a lady who's husband used to regularly purchased second-hand cars direct from Audi and he never had any problems. All were very low mileage and less than a year old.
    Last edited by h5djr; 2nd August 2010 at 18:22.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

2nd Gear

Status
    warning 192 will have his ibis s3 sport back up for sale soon might be worth a look at as its in mint condition .

1st Gear

Status
    Dealers often seem to charge a premium for nearly new cars, too many people not prepared to wait.
    8P2 A3 2.0T FSI S line Special Edition Sportback S tronic 2007MY. Black. Concert II+ & Bose.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks for all your input. I've cancelled the test drive. They wouldn't budge more than a few hundred. If anyone else wants to look at it, it's at Hatfield.

Up the owls!

Status
    I'll have mine for sale soon if you're interested. PM me
    March 2011 - B8 Audi S4, Ibis White, S-Tronic, Leather / Alcantera Super Sports Seats, Heated Front Seats, Advanced Key, Tech Pack High, Electrically folding and auto dimming mirrors

SOLD - 8P Audi S3. Brilliant Black, FBMF wheel, Bose, RNS-E, Auto lights/wipers, Cruise control, Tyre pressure monitor, Parking sensors, Interior light pack, GSM phone prep, Armrest, Privacy glass, Electrically folding mirrors.