Trying to fit a cold air feed to my ITG help!!

craig32

Reaction score
Im trying to fit some 100mm ducting from the fog light grill area up to below the filter head of my induction kit and falling at the first hurdle!

How do you get the fog light grill off?

I have misplaced my owners manual and so can't look in there, and I've looked for clips that may release the grill but can't find them!

Any help is much appreciated, this is so frustrating because I've had the ducting for days now and I just want to get it put in along with the heat resistant tape :(

Cheers and I promise a quick write up with pictures if someone will tell me how to crack open the grill!

Its easy mate - just pull around the edge of the fog light surround.

So say you are facing the passenger fog light. Pull at the side of the fog surround (around the fog light) closest to the edge of the bumper (from the right hand side) then just wiggle it a bit. Mine come out easily.

Got it fitted

I've decided to remove the fog light and place the ducting behind thatas it seemed to be the most direct way to feed the air up to the filter- anyway got a few pics to upload will do that later! and maybe a better vid of the exhaust!

Lookin forward to write up and pics. Gonna do this to mine shortly.

So here I was ready to start on fitting my DIY cold air feed to just below the ITG filter head, I grabbed some tools out of the garage but to be honest all you really need tool wise is a phillips screwdriver to undo to jubilee clips on the intake & a stanley blade(or similar) to cut the ducting to size.

readytostart.jpg

First thing I done was pop off the fog light surround grill, which took a bit of effort as my fingers were too big to fit in the gaps to tug it off, I persisted to tug at the four corner of the grill and eventually one of the corners popped out which then made it very easy to pop out the rest of the grill- don't worry about snapping the plastic it is pretty damn tough!

s3stuff001.jpg

This picture shows the ducting I have fed in which took a bit of effort due to the fact it's 100mm and not 76mm which would have fit a lot easier!

grillpoppedoff.jpg

Next thing I done was undo the last pipe on the intake which is connected to the filter head and lifted it out to enable me to access the area where I would be feeding the ducting into

This is the view I had looking into the engine bay trying to locate where I've pushed the ducting into and where I'd be pulling it up to below where the filter head sits

s3stuff002.jpg

You can see here that 100mm is probably a bit large for the space given but I ran with it anyway, it just took a bit of force to manouvre into place but one good thing is it wont really need much fixing to keep it in place as it's so tight!

feed.jpg

I then trimmed the ducting at the fog light end to size and re-attached the grill.

To make it more secure I attached a bit of foam where there was a small gap and used waterproof tape on the other side just to make sure the ducting wouldn't go anywhere, it felt pretty snug so I doubt the tape or foam is really needed, I just fitted it to make sure and so far after a few runs in the car it hasn't budged!

foamandfeed.jpg

I decided to remove the fog light on the other side as well just to make the car look even on the front, it actually looks all right I think, quite sporty!

I also decided to give the heatshield from my ITG a trim because it is simply too large for the space give and I reckon it would eventually rip anyway if left as it is, I didn't get a picture of this but it's only trimming a bit of foam with a stanley around the metal part so nothing exciting really but it does make a positive difference to the fitment!

Back to the cold air feed, I've not really had the car out long enough or driven it hard enough to notice any difference and I doubt you would notice a massive difference from the cabin anyway but it's giving me peace of mind that there is a better feed of cold air going to the filter head than there used to be through the panel gap and this can only be a good thing!

Next mods I've got on the list now are: Buy a VF Engineering intake and fit that (LOL) as I'm fairly sure I'm going for a GIAC extreme plus map and apparently this is what I need due to the fact is a full 3" onto the turbo, but annoying as I'd only just fitted the ITG for chirsts sake! But I'd rather use the hardware GIAC/Statler recommend with the software than try something else and get a disappontment.

Take out some of the aluminium finish interior part and skin them in carbon fibre, see http://www.carbonmods.co.uk/Products/Carbon-Fibre-Skinning-Starter-Kit__CMCFSK300.aspx

Then get the thing down to sheffield and get it mapped!

After that I'll look and the addition of an intercooler, then its onto handling and braking which should be fun (expensive :( )

Anyway apologies if you were expecting a detailed write-up I was just wanting to show a couple of pictures and a bit of text to show what I'd done which might help someone else if they want to do the same or something similar without my mistakes haha

Cheers
Craig

Last edited:
In the 5th picture the ducting has not been pulled out and cut to size at the other end and that is why it is all coiled up, once it was done you could see daylight through it from the engine bay!

you have removed your fog lights for no reason! You could have just cut a hole in the solid black plastic part nearer to the middle like I have and most others have..doh !

Last edited:
Not for no reason, as you just said you have had to cut a hole to make your system work, I've just removed the fog which can go back in very easily with no permanent changes.

I understand your way of doing it but I kinda like the way it looks without the fogs and I'm reasonably happy with the outcome!

No just the one ITG that I planned on selling whilst it was still in the box as I was going to sell the car, circumstances have changed and I can now keep the car longer than I thought so I fitted it a couple of weeks ago and now I've been advised I'd be better off with the VF Engineering intake for the software I want installed so it's up for sale again and I'm on the lookout for a VF!

Am I right in thinking the VF is £285? or is that for a KO3?

Not for no reason, as you just said you have had to cut a hole to make your system work, I've just removed the fog which can go back in very easily with no permanent changes.

I understand your way of doing it but I kinda like the way it looks without the fogs and I'm reasonably happy with the outcome!

No just the one ITG that I planned on selling whilst it was still in the box as I was going to sell the car, circumstances have changed and I can now keep the car longer than I thought so I fitted it a couple of weeks ago and now I've been advised I'd be better off with the VF Engineering intake for the software I want installed so it's up for sale again and I'm on the lookout for a VF!

Am I right in thinking the VF is £285? or is that for a KO3?

yeah I just read your post RE GIAC and the Extreme K04 map. forgot about that intake/ maf issue. I cant remember of the top of me head but check out Regal's price there UK's other main GIAC tuners,they import all the VF parts and sell em

I don't see how you had to remove your foglights - there is a perfectly good gap on the passenger side fog light which allows cold air in anyway and as demonstrated by warren, it shows that it has been done.

I'll tell you why I had to remove the fog lights....

Because I wanted to,theres not really any other reason apart from that.

I read Warrens thread closely and I agree with pretty much everything he has done, but to be honest I fancied doing something different. Period

P.s leave my crappy attempt at a cold air feed alone Boydie you bully :crying:

Last edited:
LOL I am not getting at you at all - Boydie the keyboard warrior!

Just don't understand why you wanted to remove the foglight as it is part of the S package.

its well easy im going to go buy this ducting today i think.. where from? plumbers merchants? B&Q?? ill fit it when i do my engine cover next week...

LOL I am not getting at you at all - Boydie the keyboard warrior!

Just don't understand why you wanted to remove the foglight as it is part of the S package.

haha I'm only kidding, I seen a pic of a phantom black S3 on here that had them removed and for some reason I really liked it and because it worked with my installation I just thought I'd give it a go

The fog's don't make our cars "S" you can get fogs on any A3, things like the aluminium wing mirrors I would never change though!

its well easy im going to go buy this ducting today i think.. where from? plumbers merchants? B&Q?? ill fit it when i do my engine cover next week...

I tried pretty much all the merchants and they never had the right stuff, neither did my local b&q!
I got mine from a company called Auto Silicone Hoses if you look at the link below theres a few different size/material options and they deliver quite quick!

http://www.autosiliconehoses.com/

guys i was cleaning my car last night thinking about this mod and i was thinking... would the intake create a vacuum and suck water up the ducting? i mean im just thinking about big puddles, very wet conditions??

craig - would you advise 100mm ducting or should i go for something slightly narrower? 90,95mm??

and does the vent come out in the same fashion on the 8p3???

Did you have to remove the fog light? could you not just have position it to the right of it where the big gap is in the plastic?

boydie, im not sure how else i can do it? to the left of the fog is like a duct that goes somewhere into the unknown (cant get my arm down it to see where it goes? where else could you put the ducting? cheers :confused::thumbsup:

I have an ITG question while we are on this subject as well.

I fitted mine this weekend but really dont see where the cold air comes from if i have the metal backed foam in place that came with it. The original cold air feed now feeds into the wrong side of the barrier and the cone is sat on the otherside so I really dont get where its supposed to be getting a cold feed from unless you add this ducting. I am thinking i might do this, but wanted to see what anyone else thought?

Thanks.

boydie, im not sure how else i can do it? to the left of the fog is like a duct that goes somewhere into the unknown (cant get my arm down it to see where it goes? where else could you put the ducting? cheers :confused::thumbsup:

Ryan I had the same problem!!! and that is why I ran it from the fog light!

I have now got it into the area next to the foglight but the bit of plastic you are talking about is ducting which seems to lead the air through to....I'm not exactly sure where lol

I basically spent ages messing around trying to get it off and came to the conclusion you pretty much have to smash it a bit then saw it off, if I come to sell the car I guess I'd just order another one and fit it again!

It's funny as I started this thread about my ITG and now it's a VF enigineering intake, still same process though.

I have an ITG question while we are on this subject as well.

I fitted mine this weekend but really dont see where the cold air comes from if i have the metal backed foam in place that came with it. The original cold air feed now feeds into the wrong side of the barrier and the cone is sat on the otherside so I really dont get where its supposed to be getting a cold feed from unless you add this ducting. I am thinking i might do this, but wanted to see what anyone else thought?

Yeah a few folk are of the opinion that the small panel gap that the air gets through towards the filter is too small to deliver enough air especially for the large size of the filter head.

I agreed with this and that was the main reason I set about fitting the cold air feed!

A simple inexpensive mod that can can only do good for the induction.

On the subject of water ingress Warren pointed out during his ITG development session that Andy the guy from ITG said that it wasn't a major issue provided some common sense was applied, i.e not roaring up behind cars at high speed when they have water spraying from the rear and avoiding deep standing water which petrol cars should avoid anyway!!

emeraldguy... care to share how you managed this? and what you did with the air duct to the left of the fog light?

Ryan I had the same problem!!! and that is why I ran it from the fog light!

I have now got it into the area next to the foglight but the bit of plastic you are talking about is ducting which seems to lead the air through to....I'm not exactly sure where lol

I basically spent ages messing around trying to get it off and came to the conclusion you pretty much have to smash it a bit then saw it off, if I come to sell the car I guess I'd just order another one and fit it again!

It's funny as I started this thread about my ITG and now it's a VF enigineering intake, still same process though.

and mines an Evoms... i just really want this mod done... it must be so much better for intake temps...

I have a A3 so the S3 bumper was installed without the blockoff plate. I just ran the pipe from the airbox down to the grill.