AH FabricationsSky Insurance
    1st Gear

Status

6.5 hours on the A3....

Well, thanks to Elite for getting me my claying kit so quickly, I was able to go ahead and give the car what it REALLY needed Today.

Reason behind : I had washed the car for the first time last week (only had it for two), and when I tried to polish it afterwards the cloth wouldn't budge on the paint - there was a very fine layer of paint contamination all over the car ! <groan>

Products Used Today

Dodo Juice Born To Be Mild Shampoo
    Elite Clay Bar (Medium)
    Dodo Juice Born Slippy Clay Lubricant
    Autoglym SRP
    Swissvax Onyx
    Stoner's Invisible Glass
    Zaino Tire Gloss

So, after doing the initial wash, this is how the car looked :

Not doing too bad huh ? Well, you need to be 'feeling' the paint to feel that horrible layer over the top of the paintwork !

Out comes the Clay Lubricant, and Clay (now cut into cubes for pressing out, and had been left in water overnight) :

Initial outlook off the clay :

'After' picture, after finishing the bonnet :

Still not too bad huh ?

Well, once I got onto the sides off the car, this seemed to be the worst areas, particularly for small tar spots....here's the clay when I completed one panel :

Yeah, not so good now.

Once finished with the claying, which took a whole five of the cubes as I'd dropped two off 'em, which had to be chucked immediately

This leaves me with one which I'll concentrate on using for the wheels, probably next week.

The paint NOW feels as smooth as glass, but it has also revealed some nasty paint chips, and two scratches that I didn't know were there (not being able to get 'up close and personal' last week).

Out comes the Chipex kit.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to take any pics....well, that's kind of a lie....the ones I did take regarding the scratches I wanted to show you came out rubbish - the scratches are very fine hairline ones which you can still catch with your nail, but unfortunately I couldn't catch 'em with the camera-phone !

The scratches weren't very good with the Chipex kit in all honesty. Not saying it's a bad kit, as it was my first time, so could've been more 'the user' than 'the product'. However, every chip on the car, and peppered spots on the bonnet are now dealt with - nothing left which looks obvious any more.

Once this was complete, I then moved on to a simple hand-polish with the SRP.

The polish now glided over the entire car, having clayed it......sheer bliss

I then applied the Swissvax Onyx, and applied the tire shire, and cleaned all windows and wiper blades.

Having left the Onyx for 30 minutes to cure, it came off really easily leaving the final results....

....I hope you like :

Thanks for looking - my back is aching like mad right now, but it was worth it

2. # ADS
    ADS

Vorsprung Durch Technik
    Snake Champion

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Kriminal View Post
    Well, thanks to Elite for getting me my claying kit so quickly, I was able to go ahead and give the car what it REALLY needed Today.

Reason behind : I had washed the car for the first time last week (only had it for two), and when I tried to polish it afterwards the cloth wouldn't budge on the paint - there was a very fine layer of paint contamination all over the car ! <groan>

Products Used Today

Dodo Juice Born To Be Mild Shampoo
    Elite Clay Bar (Medium)
    Dodo Juice Born Slippy Clay Lubricant
    Autoglym SRP
    Swissvax Onyx
    Stoner's Invisible Glass
    Zaino Tire Gloss

So, after doing the initial wash, this is how the car looked :

Not doing too bad huh ? Well, you need to be 'feeling' the paint to feel that horrible layer over the top of the paintwork !

Out comes the Clay Lubricant, and Clay (now cut into cubes for pressing out, and had been left in water overnight) :

Initial outlook off the clay :

'After' picture, after finishing the bonnet :

Still not too bad huh ?

Well, once I got onto the sides off the car, this seemed to be the worst areas, particularly for small tar spots....here's the clay when I completed one panel :

Yeah, not so good now.

Once finished with the claying, which took a whole five of the cubes as I'd dropped two off 'em, which had to be chucked immediately

This leaves me with one which I'll concentrate on using for the wheels, probably next week.

The paint NOW feels as smooth as glass, but it has also revealed some nasty paint chips, and two scratches that I didn't know were there (not being able to get 'up close and personal' last week).

Out comes the Chipex kit.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to take any pics....well, that's kind of a lie....the ones I did take regarding the scratches I wanted to show you came out rubbish - the scratches are very fine hairline ones which you can still catch with your nail, but unfortunately I couldn't catch 'em with the camera-phone !

The scratches weren't very good with the Chipex kit in all honesty. Not saying it's a bad kit, as it was my first time, so could've been more 'the user' than 'the product'. However, every chip on the car, and peppered spots on the bonnet are now dealt with - nothing left which looks obvious any more.

Once this was complete, I then moved on to a simple hand-polish with the SRP.

The polish now glided over the entire car, having clayed it......sheer bliss

I then applied the Swissvax Onyx, and applied the tire shire, and cleaned all windows and wiper blades.

Having left the Onyx for 30 minutes to cure, it came off really easily leaving the final results....

....I hope you like :

Thanks for looking - my back is aching like mad right now, but it was worth it
    Good job, proves that looking after your car pays off!

MY11 Audi A3 Black Edition | Ibis White

Technology Pack | Interior Light Pack | Heated Front Seats | Tyre Pressure Monitor | Folding Mirrors | Deletion of Model & Engine Capacity

Follow me on Twitter

events moderator

Status
    looks good mate there's nothing better than a shiny red car they certainly stand out from the normal black or silver cars which are so popular nowadays top work tho
    off the road boohoo anyone got a gearbox for me lol!!

1st Gear

Status
    Looks great bud. Should really stand out in the sun.

Never clayed a car before, hope to give it a go in a few weeks time.
    2006 Audi A3 (8P)
    Spec - 2.0 TDI l DSG l Sprint Blue l Leather Interior l 18" RS6's | H&Rs | S3 Front | 6k Bi-Xenons | EMTuning DPF Delete Package
    Plans - BBS

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by v1raj View Post
    Looks great bud. Should really stand out in the sun.

Never clayed a car before, hope to give it a go in a few weeks time.
    Thanks.

I only clay a car when I buy it to be honest, as I don't really park under/near any trees (which can cause tree sap), and I'm always out there cleaning the car every week, so can keep a close eye on it.

Claying isn't one off my favourite things to do to be honest. It takes a long time, and will strip your car back to it's bare body (above the lacquer off course), revealing all the 'problems' you may have.

However, once it has been done, it's definitely ALOT easier to maintain the paintwork.

I'm hoping to kick-start the rotary soon so that I can get rid off all the swirl marks left by the previous owner - should be fun, and time consuming....lol

6th Gear

Status
    Time well spent!
    Currently driving a 55 plate Ford Mondeo ST. But as Arnie once said...

I'll be back!!!

MODERATOR V6 S3 Hybrid

Status
    Hey looks great! Well worth the time and effort (and aching back!!!!) Red certainly looks fab!

Mauritus Blue 3.2 V6 S Line Quattro DSG Xenons Sunroof Leather Sat Nav/Changer/TV/Text W8 & Int Light Pack Dark H/Lining Tints PDC S3 Kit '11 Rears Sachs/Eibachs & more... Build Thread

Yey :)

Status
    red looks awesome! great job pal!
    Audi S3 '07 Sprint Blue
    In the process of modding :D

5th Gear

Status
    Wish i could be arsed to spend that much time cleaning my car myself
    A3 2.0TFSI quattro Sportback Lava Grey | | GIAC K03 Extreme Map | Autotech HPFP | RS4 Fuel Regulator | Neuspeed P-Flo | BSH PCV Fix | MV Sport DP | S3 Intake Cam | 285 BHP & 320 lb Ft Torque
    Votex Kit | TD Pro race 1.2 | Schwarze Audi Rings | Alu Rails | Sachs Clutch | H & R Now gone. Current- A5 Cab 2012

events moderator

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah's A3 View Post
    Hey looks great! Well worth the time and effort (and aching back!!!!) Red certainly looks fab!

3rd Gear

Status

6.5 hours on the A3....

Nice work mate!! I actually done the exact same to my car today, my forearm is bloody killing now! Lol. All that claying and polishing/waxing arm work is a right ache!!
    Audi TT - 2.0TFSI - Ibis White

events moderator

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by a3_dan View Post
    All that claying and polishing/waxing arm work is a right ache!!
    i dont know how but i do this for a living hahaha

3rd Gear

Status

6.5 hours on the A3....

Ha. You must have forearms the size of my legs then!!
    Audi TT - 2.0TFSI - Ibis White

MODERATOR V6 S3 Hybrid

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by fnmrst View Post
    i dont know how but i do this for a living hahaha

Ah a professional.....you can do mine lol!

Mauritus Blue 3.2 V6 S Line Quattro DSG Xenons Sunroof Leather Sat Nav/Changer/TV/Text W8 & Int Light Pack Dark H/Lining Tints PDC S3 Kit '11 Rears Sachs/Eibachs & more... Build Thread

Interior Next!!

Status
    Looks well mate, wish I could be bothered to do that to mine!
    Gone but not forgotten......
    S
    3 - Phantom Black - Black Optics - Most Extras

Mods: Revo Stage 2+ - 18" BBS ch/Michelin PS2 - Recaro OEM Buckets - Milltek TBE NonRes/Sports Cat - Evoms Intake - APR hpfp - H&R Springs/ARBS F&R - Sachs Clutch/Luk DMF - AP Racing 6 Pot BBK - 10mm Spacers - Black Rings
    Mods To Do: Full Retrim - MY11 RNSe - Coilovers- Plenty Carbon

2nd Gear

Status
    Wow! thats smoother than Kaden Kross's lady garden!

nothing i repeat nothing more satisfying than getting to that kind of finish on your car, i dof my cap sir.

events moderator

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by a3_dan View Post
    Ha. You must have forearms the size of my legs then!!
    its hard work mate hahaha but it keeps me fit i suppose

6th Gear

Status
    Saw this on dw. Very nice.
    2000 AMK S3, Revo'd, forge 007p, B8's, H&R's, tarox g88's, ferrodo ds2500's, and in the fastest colour

1st Gear

Status
    Thanks everyone. It was certainly pleasing to get up this morning and seeing my car nice and shiny at the top of the garden, and even better when I 'felt' (nothing pervy!!..lol) the paint being how it should. I was so concerned about whether the car had any wax on it at all since it left the Dealer's, so wanted to get this job done asap - I just had to wait for the products to arrive first.

I took some more pics Today just to bore you all with (notice the lonely parking. I'll be damned if I'm parking anywhere near somebody else).....

Pii
    4th Gear

Status
    Wish my car could shine like that lol!

Good work!!

Reverse Gear

Status
    looks really nice, well worth the time