Few quick questions from the Newbie.

Nezzy

Reaction score
Hey people. As the title says. Few quickies.

*1: Rear Parking sensors? Right. I put the car in reverse gear. The stupidly loud beeping/squeeling starts but it doesn't change when I get closer to an object. The tone just stays the same. Any Ideas?

*2: 3.2 V6. I have always run my cars on VPower but will putting regular unleaded in make it run any worse in your opinion. i.e are they set up to run on super unleaded?

*3: The traction control light came on earlier and stayed on untill I turned the car off and back on. Again. Any Ideas?

*4: Servicing: I plan on taking it off of long life and back onto normal 10k mile servicing (20k just doesn't seem right). Good/Bad Idea? And although I read that the DSG box oil should be good for the life of the car, Im not convinced. Would you guys/girls advise changing it or not?

Im sure I had more but if anyone can help with these, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks. Jamie

1. rear sensors are broken. something similar happened to me. i p/x'ed the car before i figured out what was wrong, but i reckon it was due to water ingress. try and see if it gets better when it's hot and dry compared to when it rains.

2. not sure with the 3.2 but for the 2.0T there's definitely a difference. not only that but it's a complete false economy to run it on anything other than V-Power or Tesco Momentum 99 because i get significantly worse fuel economy. the maths tells me 99 RON is the way to go.

3. no idea, i'm sure someone else can advise

4. DSG oil should be changed every 40k miles at least. i'm happy with my longlife service personally. suited me just fine on my old 1.6. i might treat this one a bit more carefully because it's a higher performance car, but i reckon it should be fine. again, i'm sure someone with more knowledge of/interest in the subject can help you.

oh, and welcome :)

hey sub39h. Thanks for the speedy reply. Its not rained heavily for ages so I can't imagine there's any
damp getting in at the mo. I may have to investigate a little tomorrow if I can work out how to get to them.
Im not all that bothered about even having them, but if they are there, I'd rather them work or just shut
the noise up. Its so Loud!!
Once Im sorted in the new place I'll be dropping her into G-werks for a nice but of servicing. :)
Is it right that you have to buy a kit to change the box oil costing about £70?

As for the question about the parking sensors. Does anyone know if you can turn the volume on them down?
I think whoever purchased the parking sensors must have been partially deaf. Not even the bose Hides the
racket it makes!!!
Also. Anyone know about my traction control question??

:) Jamie

Here’s my input..

1) Are the PDC's oem or an aftermarket? Is the noise the same as if your about to hit something (constant) if so its most likely a ultrasonic sensor, Have you visually checked the Ultrasonic sensors for any damage e.g. paint flaking off, dirt, etc. Even if there’s no visual damage they can stop working.

-If the noise is a beep at the same frequency then could be a issue with the control unit, maybe possible to check for error codes using VAGCOM? (never used it but on my list of things to buy)

-In my opinion unlikely to be a loose connection or damaged wire but you can check for this with a multimeter looking at the resistance from the ultrasonic sensors to the control unit you should be looking for no more than around 0.04 ohm..

-Pay someone to fix it :p

2) no comment

3) When the traction control light came on did you wheel spin or hit a pothole, corner fast? if so you
might just of confused one of the wheel speed sensors and the light would stay on until you allow the car to go to sleep.

-If the lights gone off, just see how it goes . If it does come back on i would start by checking the wheel speed sensors

4) Audi and Oil manufactures spend millions on development of their oils and what it requires in my opinion they know best. but servicing sooner of course wont hurt the car but doubt you would benefit from it.

Sorry if the information’s a bit mix match and in too much detail/not enough but you get the gist of it.. :readit:

Oh and if you want to disable it temporary you could

-Just pull a fuse (if there is one solely for the PDC)

-Un plug the connector going to the control unit or gong (Not sure whether Audi’s pdc's have a gong like bmw’s or work using the car speakers as i don’t have PDC’s? I have to put up with using mirrors:( )

If its a gong like bmw’s and is in the same place as the bmw’s then it’ll be on the drivers side footwell above the pedals on the under tray..

(Sorry for swearing)

one of your wheel speed sensors or the metallic abs ring could be on its way out, i had 2 go on the back at 50k

Cheers guys. I've no idea if they are standard or aftermarket unfortunately. Its certainly not like the
pleasent bong the BMW makes its more of a beeeeeeeeep. Quite long beeps, like your getting close
only it must be set to max volume and the sound appears to come from the rear. Its going in for a
service next week so I'll get the guys to vagcom it and see if it throws anything up.

Thanks. Jamie

Year of car always helps to get answers???

As for the question about the parking sensors. Does anyone know if you can turn the volume on them down?
I think whoever purchased the parking sensors must have been partially deaf. Not even the bose Hides the
racket it makes!!!
Also. Anyone know about my traction control question??

:) Jamie

Go to the DIS, last menu page i think. You can change the volume and tone