Mmm...

Mister P

Reaction score
I registered a few weeks a go prior to taking delivery of my new company car and I am now driving a 2009 A3 "Black Edition" 170bhp Quattro.

In my welcome post I said I wasn't too happy with the handling and I can't seem to get to grips with it at "motorway" speeds where the car seems to feel a bit skittish. This is my biggest niggle aside from the fact it drinks diesel like a sailor drinks on shore leave!

I must point out that when pushed at sub "motorway" speeds through roundabouts and tight corners it seems to handle completely differently, which is great, but the aren't many of those on the motorway.

Any ideas or am I just being full of ****!?

Last edited:
Hi P

I don't drive a Diesel but some of the other guys might be able to help.

You'd probably need to define skitterish though just to rule out mis-interperations.

Good luck!

What car did you drive before?

My car has been modified with regards to the suspension and wheels, to a point where it feels no where near as stable as before with stock stuff

Yet, i still feel perfectly comfortable doing motorway speeds (70mph of course...)

May just take some getting used to

But the 170 certainly is more thirsty than other diesel cars. My old 140 used to easily do about 500-700miles to a tank, not i manage between 400 and 600

Go for the BE, Sport sline, 140 Diesel. Mine does 60mpg and is a very comfortable ride. When pushed it moves.

Mine's a 2.0T (petrol) and I must say that as the car accelerates hard or is going at motorway speeds it doesn't feel as steady as I'd like it to be or thought it would be.
I find that when I get the shove from the turbo in first or second I have to hold on tight'ish to stop the car wiggling side to side slightly.
Tracking is spot on so that's not the cause.

@ Pii, cheers for that, edited, wasn't quite thinking!

@ Smudge_don, I was driving a 140bhp Mk 5 Golf which stuck like the proverbial, that came with the factory supplied "sport" suspension. 400 miles out of a tank, mmm, I guess I have a very thirsty sailor then!!!

@ aythreee, that's sounds about right, although I don't have the same issue as you do in 1st and 2nd and my tracking is spot on as are the tyres.

Oh well guess it looks like I'll have to drive around the problem or keep an eye open for a suspension upgarde. I'll try and get some pics up for everybody, it is a lovely looking car.

Last edited:
My A3 is on coilovers & has uprated ARB's and it feels very stable at speeds that you'd probably end up in jail for doing on the public highway.... if that helps....

what springs are on the black edition? I have sport springs on my car and it always feels stable. I did adjust my steering slightly heavier but I never had any issues before doing it.

My thought is that the fuse in something that controls the adaptive steering may be gone, you know the thing that makes the steering tighten up over certain speeds? i had something that felt like that on another car once and it turned out to be something loose in the steering rack. worth a look.

Mine's a 2.0T (petrol) and I must say that as the car accelerates hard or is going at motorway speeds it doesn't feel as steady as I'd like it to be or thought it would be.
I find that when I get the shove from the turbo in first or second I have to hold on tight'ish to stop the car wiggling side to side slightly.
Tracking is spot on so that's not the cause.

is your car quattro fella?
if not it's torque steer its suppose to be like that.

anyway back to thread strange one really as my A3 2.0T quattro you can take your hands off the wheel at motorway speeds on straight sections i must add and it cruises lovely no movement in any direction.
most stable safe car i have ever driven by far. handles great on the twistys for what it is standard

Just a thought, what part of the motorway does it feel bad, in all lanes or in the inside lane? as quite often the inside lane of heavy used motorways gets trammed lined, and some cars can feel very unstable so bad sometimes that I have pulled over thinking I have a puncture.

I have an S3 BE, and although I know the suspension set up is different, still quite a hard ride, but I feel perfectly safe at any speed on the motorway, or even A roads. In fact I am really impressed at how stable that car feels at high speeds.