cd changer install-help

scubadood

Reaction score
Hi, ive just bought a sony eplodT70 and thought that as a previous post it would slot nicely in the glove box. But its to damn big as the air bag lock takes up the space on the one side . Any suggestions, do i have to cut through the plastic divider in the glove box to install???

steve /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif

You need to cut quite a bit out of the back so there is no going back!. Suggest you buy another glovebox from the dealer to do this as they are about £120; then you can take it out complete when the car goes back and sell it.

No , if you havent specced a changer, the lead wont be there but it is available in the accessory part of ETKA from the main dealer at a reasonable £15 inc.
You simply then just populate the plug that is in the back of the stereo with the ready made push in pins and plug the other end into the changer.. Its really easy...and they give you the pin out with the lead.
ping me if you need any help..

Sorry, just read my first post again!...
The cable IS NOT there already, you need to buy it. If you use the glovebox changer, then the lead is available from the dealer; if you use a Sony unit, you need and Autoleads adapter such as the MADS0001 at around £35.

Japper; If you have bought the glovebox for the cd changer (with the cut out already in) it will be fine..

I have the part numbers from ETKA if anyone wants more info..

Sorry for the dumb question.

So when I receive the lead it simply isn't plug straight in at the head unit end ?. If not, do you get instructions with the lead to where each wire goes ?.

[ QUOTE ]
Japper said:
Sorry for the dumb question.

So when I receive the lead it simply isn't plug straight in at the head unit end ?. If not, do you get instructions with the lead to where each wire goes ?.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, the lead has a plug on one end which plugs into the cd changer, and free pins at the other which you have to push into the plug that is already plugged into the back of the radio. If the lead is new, then the instructions should come with it. If not, I have them and will post them for you...

Sorry to bring up an old thread.

I'm seriously considering this mod as there are several glovebox cd-changers for sale on german e-bay at present for next to no money.

Clicky 1
Clicky 2

For those of you that have done this mod, how easy would you rate it on a scale of 1 Haynes spanners to 5? (I reckon my limit is about 2!).

Also, did anyone suffer any rattling or other annoyances afterwards? I would hate to damage my car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Japper says the new glovebox is £138. I presume this is just the inside shelf bit? What happens with the glove box light and the passenger air bag on / off switch?

Thanks in advance. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry to bring up an old thread.

I'm seriously considering this mod as there are several glovebox cd-changers for sale on german e-bay at present for next to no money.

Clicky 1
Clicky 2

For those of you that have done this mod, how easy would you rate it on a scale of 1 Haynes spanners to 5? (I reckon my limit is about 2!).

Also, did anyone suffer any rattling or other annoyances afterwards? I would hate to damage my car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Japper says the new glovebox is £138. I presume this is just the inside shelf bit? What happens with the glove box light and the passenger air bag on / off switch?

Thanks in advance. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

adamr,

On a scale of 1-5, I would put it at around 2 max. The £138 is for the complete glovebox including lid as it's a complete unit. You also need a CD changer cable. Dont know cost of cable as I got it with CD changer off e-bay.

Here goes from memory.

Undo 6 or 7 bolts ( 10mm hex head ) 2 underneath in footwell, 2 under front lip when lid open, 1 at back of compartment, and 2 under plastic cover on side, when passenger door is open.

Support the glovebox with your knee's while you undo the last bolts. The glovebox now pulls away and you need to undo the connectors to the light and airbag deactivation switch. You also need to remove the aluminium trim opposite catch as this is not part of £138. It just pulls towards the drivers side of the car.

Next you need to cut out the hole for the airbag switch, it is marked but needs cutting. If you use , carefully, a stanley knife to lightly score all around the front edge a couple of times. Then you give it a good push with your thumb and it pops through. Any bits left can be sorted with knife. Remove the switch and light from existing glovebox and fit into new one ( clip in position )

Now using correct keys, remove stereo and the connector. Follow the given instructions for inserting correct coloured wires into existing connector block. Feed other end of cable through to glovebox area. Replace stereo.

Refit in reverse order, connecting wires to light and airbag switch at the same time.

Total time around 1 hour.

If you need any more info or get stuck while doing the mod, PM me.

Cheers Japper,

After reading that I'm going to give it a go! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I'll start collecting the bits and pieces together.

Thanks very much for the advice.

Adam

[ QUOTE ]
why did you get a spare glovebox? surely i could just carve mine up if i wanted?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, indeed you could carve the existing one up. But the proper one has the correct opening / catches for the OEM changer to click into, similar to the radio, i.e. you need radio removal keys to remove mine now.

When I come to sell, and if I get another A3 I'll just swap over to new car and put original glovebox back in to this one. If I dont get another A3 then i'll do the same but sell CD changer glovebox on e-bay.

Which ever way, it'll cost me relatively nothing in the long term.

Oh, and even this way cost me less than as a fitted option from the factory.

Nice one Japper; it really is that easy!...

I have a spare CD ready glovebox if anyone is interested!. Its basically as new ready to go!...
Will go on ebay shortly...

[ QUOTE ]
I have a spare CD ready glovebox if anyone is interested!. Its basically as new ready to go!...

[/ QUOTE ]

Would be very interested in this. How much?

£100 plus the postage...
Its still boxed and basically new since I went for an MP3 changer in the original box in the end.
(doesnt include the changer of course! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
£100 plus the postage...
Its still boxed and basically new since I went for an MP3 changer in the original box in the end.
(doesnt include the changer of course! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummmh - tempting!

Looking at your list of cars on your signature, this must have for your A3 S line was it? What colour plastic is it? I need black. But I know with some light colured seat / carpet options the lower dashboard (including glovebox) and centre console are a sort of cream colour.

[ QUOTE ]
It was for my a3 3.2 s line and is black since all the s line interior is black, even the roof!!.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bang.gif