Wipers stopping half way, HELP !

guysy

Reaction score
My mate is having trouble with his 2004 3.2 Quattro,

The wipers sometimes stop half way on the screen, He has bought a replacement 2nd hand motor and this hasnt helped, Sometimes the motor makes a slight sounds (i dont know what this sounds like)

Can anyone help please? Faulty relay? if so where can i find it?

Thanks !

Was it just the motor he changed? The early wipers had a problem but I'm sure that its the linkage seizing that was causing the problems. That and people fitting after market xenon lights damaging the wipe control module.

Cheers for the reply, I dont know if the car has had HIDS previously, Any way of telling? Which loom would be butchered, Nearest to the lights i guess?

Also the motor is different to the linkage ? Stupid question really but just checking, If it was my car id be out there looking for myself but he wants some online help too, Where can i check?

Thanks.

He saids hes checked the linkerage and its clean and hes oiled it, Hes asking me if theres a relay he can check/replace and where is it please?

Has he checked the loom for voltage for a start, checked fuses, possibly fuse 31 under hood as relay is shown for the washer system, not for the wiper itself.

Fuse is fine, Dont have any means of tesling the loom for voltage readings,

Also read it could be something to do with the bonnet catch? How does this effect the wipers? His catch is faulty somehow, cant remember how...

Any help?

The wipers won't work if the bonnet catch switch is faulty. This is a safeguard to stop the wipers working if the bonnet is open.

Sounds like the wipers go into 'service mode' which is designed for changing blades.

May be a new bonnet catch/switch might be required.

he isn't catching the wiper stalk with his hand somehow after the keys have been taken out?

also, the "slight sound" doesnt happen when the keys are taken out too does it? coz that's normal.

The wipers won't work if the bonnet catch switch is faulty. This is a safeguard to stop the wipers working if the bonnet is open.

Sounds like the wipers go into 'service mode' which is designed for changing blades.

May be a new bonnet catch/switch might be required.

Ah i see yeah, Could well be that, anyway to override that just to test?

he isn't catching the wiper stalk with his hand somehow after the keys have been taken out?

also, the "slight sound" doesnt happen when the keys are taken out too does it? coz that's normal.

Nah i dont think so, Its happening all the time,

I think the sound he means maybe coming from the motor? or the mechanism?

He saids hes cleaned and greased the linage and it moves freely, Just stopping half way once in a while.

I am also thinking service mode, is being triggered, anyway to stop this? apart from a new catch?

You can't !

If it is the catch or switch it will require a new one. The switch tells the computer that the bonnet is closed and then the computer tells the wipers that they can work !

Get the car scanned for faults to really find out.

Yeah, He needs to get it scanned really,

Hes bought another catch, ill see how that goes,

Thanks for all the help.