Sky InsuranceChris Nott
    Neutral

Status

Is 225/40/18 front and 235/40/18 back OK?

I bought a set of OEM RS6 alloys from ebay, had them refurbed and they are now mint. Only snag is that they are 225/40/18 on the front and 235/40/18 on the back. Before I jump in and buy the rubber, can anyone tell me if they are going to fit my car properly and if I'm going to have any issues with them?

PS I'm planning on fitting Eibach springs to lower it to the same height as an S-Line, so not sure if this will make any odds?
    Last edited by pengjn; 25th July 2010 at 07:21.
    A3 8P 2.0 TDI (140ps) Sport DSG
    Factory | Sunroof | Xenons | Cruise | Parking sensors | Headlight washers | Red Vienna leather | Bose | Piano black inserts | Heated Seats | Electric lumbar | Front Arm Rest
    Retro | S-Line roof spoiler | 18" RS6 | Angel Tuning remap | ITG Performance Air Filter | RNS-E + Bluetooth | Tomtom iPhone car kit | Removable tow bar
    In progress | Ashtray deletion | Factory matched tints
    Wish list | MFSW | Auto wipers/lights | Auto dimming mirrors | Folding mirrors

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    Since your is a 2wd it won't matter if the rolling radius is slightly bigger at the back then the front, but the rear tyres may rub I think if you slam it, a 30 mm would be ok though I would have though.
    A3 2.0TFSI quattro Sportback Lava Grey | | GIAC K03 Extreme Map | Autotech HPFP | RS4 Fuel Regulator | Neuspeed P-Flo | BSH PCV Fix | MV Sport DP | S3 Intake Cam | 285 BHP & 320 lb Ft Torque
    Votex Kit | TD Pro race 1.2 | Schwarze Audi Rings | Alu Rails | Sachs Clutch | H & R Now gone. Current- A5 Cab 2012

6th Gear

Status
    are you sure they had the right rubber on 'em? if they're OEM A3 RS6s shouldn't they be 225/40 R18 all around?
    2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line.
    DSG | 18" BBS Pescaras | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | Symphony II | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
    MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Weitec Hicon GTs | RNS-E 2010 | Controls Pack (Red Stitching)
    PLANS: Dumbos | 8P3 S-Line Rear Bumper | OEM Parking Sensors

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:
    2005 Ebony Black A3 1.6 Sport tiptronic. You will be missed!
    1997 BMW 316i Coupe M-Sport. You won't be missed quite so much!

Gazza

Status
    thought rs6 had 19s

3rd Gear

Status
    they are both 40 profile and this will have no affect between the rolling radius of the tyres.
    James
    Silver Audi 8L S3
    97 Fireblade fully restored ...just for summer!
    My old Corrado VR6 Turbo... Click me for the build DIY style!
    and many many cars and bikes in the past!!

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by AudiS3-Turbo View Post
    they are both 40 profile and this will have no affect between the rolling radius of the tyres.
    Not true. the "40" is a ratio of the tyre width to sidewall height. 235/40R18 is a bigger diameter and circumference than 225/40R18.

http://www.exploroz.com/Vehicle/Tyres/SizeCalc.aspx

Neutral

Status
    Bit confused now but that is partly due to big night out last night. I thought the 225-235 bit was just the width?
    Factory | Sunroof | Xenons | Cruise | Parking sensors | Headlight washers | Red Vienna leather | Bose | Piano black inserts | Heated Seats | Electric lumbar | Front Arm Rest
    Retro | S-Line roof spoiler | 18" RS6 | Angel Tuning remap | ITG Performance Air Filter | RNS-E + Bluetooth | Tomtom iPhone car kit | Removable tow bar

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by pengjn View Post
    Bit confused now but that is partly due to big night out last night. I thought the 225-235 bit was just the width?
    it is, the width in mm. but the 40 part means the "thickness" of the tyre is 40% of 225mm (ie 90mm, or 94mm if 235mm wide)

would assume this could cause wheel speed sensor fault? certainly on 4wd cars...
    2004 A3 3.2 V6 manual

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by lincoln_dj View Post
    it is, the width in mm. but the 40 part means the "thickness" of the tyre is 40% of 225mm (ie 90mm, or 94mm if 235mm wide)

would assume this could cause wheel speed sensor fault? certainly on 4wd cars...
    His car's 2wd and hes running the larger rolling radius on the back so it shouldnt cause problems with that.
    A3 2.0TFSI quattro Sportback Lava Grey | | GIAC K03 Extreme Map | Autotech HPFP | RS4 Fuel Regulator | Neuspeed P-Flo | BSH PCV Fix | MV Sport DP | S3 Intake Cam | 285 BHP & 320 lb Ft Torque
    Votex Kit | TD Pro race 1.2 | Schwarze Audi Rings | Alu Rails | Sachs Clutch | H & R Now gone. Current- A5 Cab 2012

1st Gear

Status
    I'm currently running this profile tyre setup on a set of Rossos.

No problems at all mate, go for it
    2006 Audi A3 (8P)
    Spec - 2.0 TDI l DSG l Sprint Blue l Leather Interior l 18" RS6's | H&Rs | S3 Front | 6k Bi-Xenons | EMTuning DPF Delete Package
    Plans - BBS

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by v1raj View Post
    I'm currently running this profile tyre setup on a set of Rossos.

No problems at all mate, go for it
    Thanks v much everyone - good to know I have screwed up totally. Can't wait to get the new wheels on there - I've lived for far too long with the 17" Stars.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by dinsdale66 View Post
    Not true. the "40" is a ratio of the tyre width to sidewall height. 235/40R18 is a bigger diameter and circumference than 225/40R18.

http://www.exploroz.com/Vehicle/Tyres/SizeCalc.aspx
    I learn something new everyday! thats also a usefull link thanks.
    James
    Silver Audi 8L S3
    97 Fireblade fully restored ...just for summer!
    My old Corrado VR6 Turbo... Click me for the build DIY style!
    and many many cars and bikes in the past!!