Badger5Volks Autos
    Reverse Gear

Status

Leaking coolant?!?

I've got a 2004 Audi A3 TDi Sport and for the last month or two I've noticed that the coolant warning keeps coming on. Every time I refill the coolant the light comes on again a couple of weeks later, so I'm assuming I have a leak somewhere.

I have looked EVERYWHERE for this leak but can't find it, I've even tried putting a drip tray under the coolant bowl but still nothing. Is this a common fault on Audi's?

PLEASE could somebody help!?!

Regards
    Olly

2. # ADS
    ADS

Sportback owner

Status
    You are right Olly, this water is going somewhere. If there are no obvious drips underneath the car, then two possibilities: 1) There is a cylinder head leak. This is the worst it can be, and probably will only be discovered by a leak-test by a competent garage, or a removel of the head to check for head cracks or gasket problems. 2) the presurised system only leaks when hot. So, run until hot, and then while the motor is running look carefully around the whole water circuit and radiator for seepage. Not dripping, but seeping out. Keep out of the way of cooling fans and belts. Check every pipe and clip. Use a strong lamp and take your time. Unfortunately, the eariler models of the 8P chassis did suffer from cylinder head problems, but let's hope this is not your case. Good luck.
    French A3 Sportback 2006, 2.0L 140 TDI, DSG, RSN-E, Ambient lighting, Auto-lights/wipers, Reverse assist, Dolphin Grey, 17" wheels, Leather seats, Cruise control, Roof bars.

Lex
    2nd Gear

Status
    i had this problem with my early 2.0 tdi a3
    it was pressure tested and nothing came up and no sign of leaking anywhere else
    eventually the garage found a fair few tiny cracks in pipes and the only way to find them is run the engine warm and squeeze the pips individually
    but in the end it was the cylinder head

i hate to say but im 90% sure that it will be the cylinder head, there is a massive problem with the 2003-2005 (ithink) a3's with pourous heads and audi know this and the cylinder head they now sell to us is a better redesigned head to stop this problem but they still will not accept fault.
    in some cases on this forum people have had a good will gesture from audi and had some or all cost paid by audi but i had no such luck because i have had my a3 serviced else where but audi, they are real knob jockys

hope you have better luck than i did with it mate
    now : A3 2.0 TDI, ST-3 remap, coilovers, matte black rs6 alloys

800 spent on my car in a week, is that excessive? B***ocks is it

Fossie

Status
    Try a bottle of K-Seal which costs a tenner from most auto places. You just pour it into the top-up reservoir and it finds leaks and fixes them.

I emailed Kalimex that makes the product and they said quote " it will be perfectly safe to use K-Seal in your engine and there is a high probability that it will fix the porous head problem " unquote.

I shoved a bottle in 6 months ago in my 2005 BKD engine and haven't topped up since then !

Worth a try for a tenner - hope it works

Cheers

Lex
    2nd Gear

Status
    wish i tried that before splashing out near 1k lol
    now : A3 2.0 TDI, ST-3 remap, coilovers, matte black rs6 alloys

800 spent on my car in a week, is that excessive? B***ocks is it

As far from JBS as possible !

Status
    Sounds like the typical cracked BKD cylinder head as the 2004-2005 engines do suffer from porous heads.
    06 Audi 2.0 PD140 Sport TDI Quattro S-LINE.
    Old engine 330 bhp @ flywheel 263 bhp @ wheel 490 lb torque. Audidriver write up HERE
    Now stripped and playing with an uprated Cryo treated engine fitted with bigger turbo,water/methanol,uprated injectors etc etc.Wanting 400 bhp and 500 lb torque.

Other car 500+ bhp MK4 Golf R32 turbo.

2nd Gear

Status
    My 2006 had a leak which turned out to be the radiator (common on A3 and MK5 Golfs) - corrosion at the bottom corners of the rad is the problem
    2.0 TDi 140 S-Line With - S3 Vents l S3 Alloy Pedals l S3 Gearknob I Aero Rear Wiper l X-Treme Bulbs l 09 Rear Lights l Custom Floormats l 18" TTS reps l LCR Splitter I Facelift Stereo

6th Gear

Status
    I had such a leak on my old 2.0TDI 140 which turned out to be a cracked head - luckily it was still in warranty.
    Daytona Grey Audi A3 2.0TDI 150 S-Line with Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Alcantara/Leather seats, B&O sound, DAB radio, Folding/dimming mirrors

As far from JBS as possible !

Status
    If it is the head i have some second hand ones for sale.
    06 Audi 2.0 PD140 Sport TDI Quattro S-LINE.
    Old engine 330 bhp @ flywheel 263 bhp @ wheel 490 lb torque. Audidriver write up HERE
    Now stripped and playing with an uprated Cryo treated engine fitted with bigger turbo,water/methanol,uprated injectors etc etc.Wanting 400 bhp and 500 lb torque.

Other car 500+ bhp MK4 Golf R32 turbo.

..... (_!_) Sarah's A3s #1 Fan
    Railway Line Champion

Status
    Yep, sounds like the old porous head problems. Had this on our 05 A6 2.0tdi and cost 2k to fix.....with 500 goodwill gesture from Audi.
    Audi A6 Avant (2002) 2.5 V6 Quattro. Sunroof, Bluetooth mp3 Xcarlink, 6cd, xenons, tints, ST3, 18" RS6s
    I have VCDS and I'm not afraid to use it, well, a little bit?

Reverse Gear

Status

K-Seal Use

Hi Mike

Just wandering if you are even still on here, how well did the K-Seal work after the time that you created this post? Just had to have a whole new catalyst and manifold catalysts put on my A3 and don't fancy another hefty bill to come through.

Many thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mike foster View Post
    Try a bottle of K-Seal which costs a tenner from most auto places. You just pour it into the top-up reservoir and it finds leaks and fixes them.

I emailed Kalimex that makes the product and they said quote " it will be perfectly safe to use K-Seal in your engine and there is a high probability that it will fix the porous head problem " unquote.

I shoved a bottle in 6 months ago in my 2005 BKD engine and haven't topped up since then !

Worth a try for a tenner - hope it works

Cheers