A3 2.0 TDI DSG

akbarirfan

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just wondering, do all A3 2.0 TDI DSG's come with paddle shift? Most adverts do not even specify the paddle shift but then I notice the paddles in the pictures.

Thanks,

Irfan

To my knowledge, all A3s with DSG/S-Tronic have the paddles.

I agree - all A3s with DSG/S-tronic do come with the paddles.

Ok thanks, my knowledge is limited..so does DSG=S-tronic thus paddle shift will be present?

So is DSG the same as S-tronic? Or was that another option?

What a noob!

Thanks

Ok thanks, my knowledge is limited..so does DSG=S-tronic thus paddle shift will be present?

So is DSG the same as S-tronic? Or was that another option?

What a noob!

Thanks

DSG and S-tronic are exactly the same. Volkswagen use the name DSG and Audi use the name S-tronic. All come with steering wheel paddles.

Ok thanks for the information guys, just in case I have to do any telephone bidding!

Just checked autotrader, there is a picture of a DSG/S-tronic, but there are clearly no paddles...unless there is something I am missing!

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...139nd/radius/1501/keywords/s-tronic?logcode=p

Whereas with this advert I can see the down shift paddle in the picture:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif.../page/2/radius/1501/postcode/b139nd?logcode=p

Also when changing gear should you let go of the accelerator?

Thanks

Last edited:
It could be the angle the photo is taken from which is hiding the paddles behind the steering wheel.
Although I have to agree, it doesn't look like paddles are there!
It says the car started off life as a Sport.... maybe when they switched to a flat bottom steering wheel they didn't use one with the paddles?!

If he's retro-fitted the S3 steeing wheel, theres a good chance that he fitted a manual wheel, meaning that it has no paddled obviously

Also when changing gear should you let go of the accelerator?

No, the whole point of DSG is that its basically an auto, that you can turn into a semi auto by flicking the paddles

It's not like a manual where you have to let off the power to change gear, you just keep ya foot down and let the box do its stuff

Haha thanks...so do you guys enjoy the paddle shift?

Also in semi-auto mode can I keep my foot to the floor and still shift gears? That's what I was getting at.

Thanks

Also in semi-auto mode can I keep my foot to the floor and still shift gears? That's what I was getting at.

Thanks

Yes, if you had your foot planted, you can control the gears still without letting off

Obviously wouldnt recommend keeping your foot on the gas when changing down though :laugh:

I love DSG, it's nice just to cruise around with, but when i need/want to, i can be in control

Yes, but it sounds cooler coming from me :rockwoot:

:lmfao:

Geek! ;)

Thanks

I'm loving DSG. To be honest, I drive 90% in auto mode, but when I do use the paddles it feels like i'm in a computer game and it brings a little smile to my face.

Yep, you can keep your foot to the floor and change up, down and sideways. The box handles the lot.

I'm loving DSG. To be honest, I drive 90% in auto mode, but when I do use the paddles it feels like i'm in a computer game and it brings a little smile to my face.

Yep, you can keep your foot to the floor and change up, down and sideways. The box handles the lot.

Isn't that what i just said? :moa:

Haha ok thanks guys!

Not looking to buy too soon, but I know exactly what I am after!

I looked for the paddles after going in a mates M3 SMG E46, it was crazy, like round roundabouts dropping gears is so easy!

:lmfao:

Geek! ;)

I love my DSG as well but I'm the opposite to you and drive 90% or more of the time using the centre stick or the paddles. Like a manual without a clutch. Great fun. The only time I use auto is when I'm in a trffic queue and slowly moving forward with the traffic.

Have you seen where I live? Using your reasoning I think that explains my 90% in auto! :lmfao:

Yes I take your point. The great thing is that the DSG is equally at home driving in auto through the traffic in London for you and driving on less congested roads and country lanes for me. I shall certainly never buy another car without a DSG.

Whatever you do, make sure you test drive a DSG/S-Tronic equipped car for a decent period and in differing circumstances before you buy. They're a very personal thing and, whilst many people love them, many hate them. I was sure I was going to have DSG on my current car until I test drove one and then totally changed my mind.

BTW, can this not descend into an argument for and against DSG please? I appreciate and respect that many people love it, so just understand that they're not perfect and many people don't like them :)

agree with Vertigo. plus it seems to be engine specific. i love it on my 2.0T, but it's far too jerky for me on the 2.0 TDI...

one other thing - the first dsg cars upto 2004 had to be put in manual mode before the paddles will work - later cars have the paddles active all the time, with the system swapping back to auto mode after a while if the paddles havnt been used

only my opinion, but i hated the older thing with having to choose which mode - the ability to be in auto but just drop down a couple of gears without having to move the drive selector is a big plus, particularly approaching a junction or island where the dsg can leave you in the wrong gear and decides to drop gears just when you are wanting to accelerate away...

OK thanks for all the information guys. Most likely I will be looking to buy at the end of next year :(

But before then I need to test drive the DSG to see if it's my cup of tea, the paddle shift seems off the hook, but I have not tried it myself!