140's/170's and DPF

MarkRobinson

Reaction score
Hi all, first post so excuse the newbness. I'm looking to buy an A3 2.0TDI Sport or S-line, probably around 3-5 years old. I originally wanted the 170 but all these problems with the DPF are concerning me. My question is will the 140's be fitted with DPF and how can I tell whether or not they have this feature? Also are any 170's DPF free?

Last edited:
The age of 140 you're looking at wont have DPF's.

I've never had a problem with the DPF on my 170 in coming up to 3 years of ownership and I've had it remapped for almost 8 months now. All 170's will have DPF's.

I had a 170 with a DPF for nearly three years and had no problems at all. I now have a 140CR which also has a DPF. This has been remapped to around 175 and again, I had it for 15 months and not had any problems at all.

Interesting, I'm concerned because the net is full of people with problems but perhaps it's rarer than I think. I've also got to consider my journeys. Mon-Thursday is 5 journeys per day of around 3 miles in town. Fri/sat will be 100-400 motorway miles. Apparently the short trips can be an issue...