Selling up for an Exige

AJS

Reaction score
Selling the S3 for a Lotus Exige, is this a bad move.

not if you give me bits at cheap prices :), keep in mind your lotus is a lot less comfortable, depends on the balance of the miles vs smiles scales

could be,
I previously owned an 8L S3 and sold up to buy an elise,
I'm now back here with an 8P S3 and glad to be,
After all the comforts of the S3 the elise was very basic,
at the time I went for a series 2 111s which had a rover engine renowned for head gasket problems and after mine went I never felt the same about it,
I did test drive a 111r but was not a fan of having to rag the toyota engine constantly to get any power out of it, that said if your going for one of the supercharged models then I'm sure that wont be an issue,
One of the things I do miss about the elise were the looks it attracted (it was bright yellow) and also getting the roof off in the summer, but that wont be possible in the exige,
All said and done I think I found my self like many elise/exige owners I was glad I had owned the car but like many sold it on fairly quickly.
I'm now back here with another S3 and can't see my self changing it any time soon.
Keith

Selling the S3 for a Lotus Exige, is this a bad move.

If you want the Exige as a daily driver, yes.

If not, then it's a fantastic move. The handling is in a different league.

But.... if you're used to S3 performance, and enjoy the speed in a straight line as well as the twisties, you should get a Supercharged Exige, otherwise you could get bored of the performance.

NO! great move :racer:. I had a series 2 elise for 3 years and it was my daily drive, was sad to see if go. you'll enjoy it

NO! great move :racer:. I had a series 2 elise for 3 years and it was my daily drive, was sad to see if go. you'll enjoy it

I had a VX220 Turbo a few years ago, but got no pleasure driving it when it was cold and wet. On a nice day it was awesome. I know plenty of people did get on with them as a daily driver, but we're all a bit different.

I think Pete is spot on, the Exige is not designed to be a daily driver, it's much more track focused than even an Elise let alone an S3, but if thats your bag then it will be streets ahead of an Audi. I certainly wouldn't fancy one for the wet and cold months...If I had the choice i'd have both!

I have just come the other way. I sold a '08 Exige S and bought the S3. The Exige just wasn't getting used because at the end of the day it's a track car. Once the novelty wore off, it was a pain in the **** (literally!) - and not as fast as you'd think although in the dry the handling was unbelieveable. If you can go for the 240 version. I regretted not doing that v. soon after getting one.