Another tyre question...... breaking in?

Ads

ASN Veteran
Reaction score
Website
www.aythreee.com
Do new tyres need to be broken in?

So basically; are brand new tyres a bit like brand new shoes. i.e. take a while for them to develope their optimum grip??

These new tyres that I have on the back are slippery as hell!
Going around roundabouts at a brisk speed (not really pushing the car) I can feel the back skipping out slightly.

They are cheapo tyres (£80'ish) but if they remain like this (surely they can't!) then I wouldn't feel safe driving the car.

Anybody else experienced this with new tyres? And did it get any better after some mileage was put on them??

Hmmm... might have to go back to the tyre shop. I can't see how they can get away with selling tyres that are like this as standard. Almost undriveable.

What were the old tyres? You didnt go from top end tyres to standard tyres did you?

I have never driven with these wheels as I have only bought them recently (18" s-line/RS6). Was about to fit them but noticed two of the walls had splits so got two new tyres fitted.

The wheels they replaced (17" Sport alloys) were running mid range tyres.... Falkens I think.

First things first I want :sign_pics: of the RS6 wheels lol

Secondly it's not that easy to tell what could be causing the issue because you have changed the wheels as well as tyres. I though going from 17s to 18s would make the ride more stable though to be honest but maybe someone else can share their views.

I wasn't under the impression that new tyres could make you feel 'unsafe'... What have the garage said?

Secondly it's not that easy to tell what could be causing the issue because you have changed the wheels as well as tyres. I though going from 17s to 18s would make the ride more stable though to be honest but maybe someone else can share their views.

I wasn't under the impression that new tyres could make you feel 'unsafe'... What have the garage said?

He means the old RS6 wheels Pii, the standard S-Line ones

Not that wheels you want

Not that wheels you want

:yes:

When I say "unsafe" so far its really only on roundabouts. Driving on normal roads and cornering were fine. Didn't notice the problem until I went round the roundabout near where I live. Tried going round it a few times and it happened each time.

I've done about 5 miles on them so far. Maybe I'll go to a car park and drive in circles for a bit, see what happens.

Haven't spoken to the garage yet, but will do.

Tempted to ask if they'll take them back and give me a huge discount on some better rubber.

As I said in another post, I had two new front tyres fitted to my A3 a couple of days ago. I have only done 100 or so miles but the grip is much better straight away than the worn-out ones. The replaced tyres were just about down to the legal limit.

Not that wheels you want

****** - I'm messed up in the head Smudge. Been changing my mind non stop over RS6, A5, 18, 19. I actually have a head ache from this!! I need help!

:yes:
When I say "unsafe" so far its really only on roundabouts. Driving on normal roads and cornering were fine. Didn't notice the problem until I went round the roundabout near where I live. Tried going round it a few times and it happened each time.

I've done about 5 miles on them so far. Maybe I'll go to a car park and drive in circles for a bit, see what happens.

Haven't spoken to the garage yet, but will do.

Tempted to ask if they'll take them back and give me a huge discount on some better rubber.

Do it if they will. Nothing worse than paranoia in the car to be honest.

If money can sort the problem then its not really a problem. Not unless you dont have the money :motz:

If money can sort the problem then its not really a problem. Not unless you dont have the money :motz:

So so many more exciting things to spend it on though.
Safety first though, huh.

Anyone running Yokohamas?? Any good?
I hear they are quite soft.

Could be the roundabout that has lost a lot of its grip in the surfacing?

You know what..... you might have a point there.
Thinking about it, it did skip at roughly the same place each time.
Although it never happened on my old wheels.

Think i'll definitely be driving in circles down my local tesco tonight.

LOL - i hope its Watty's outside the box thinking!

Could be a patch of diesel too? Your new rubber maybe needs to roughen up a little for the first 500 miles to get the initial mould surface finish off, if you get what I mean.

Could be a patch of diesel too? Your new rubber maybe needs to roughen up a little for the first 500 miles to get the initial mould surface finish off, if you get what I mean.

Think I read something about this too. Something about oil(??) being applied during manufacture to stop the tyre's surface from sticking to the mould (and possibily my local roundabout!)

:haudrauf:i wondering how long I can moan about being confused before people start ignoring me:jester:
I'm weak willed... decisions are hard. Make or break time init!

Maybe I need to just go somewhere and get them to line up the wheels so i can see visually!

Also saw an old thread where Audi can order genuines 18s ET54 for 2k!!! :blink:

ATM its swaying 18/19 and New RS6/ New S3.

Probably will end up with reps just so I can sell them if I end up disliking my decision. I've been bugging people for days on PMs for pics :lmfao:

Phil, just buy them, you know you want to!!!!!......

You buy the reps, if you hate them, sell them cheap to me lol!

haha sarah is the devil sometimes! thankfully ive kept a large amount of plans for my car to myself otherwise shed be convincing me to spend a further 4k lol

I'm going to be quite blunt here, apologies if this offends you. You bought cheap tires, what did you expect?

I'm going to be quite blunt here, apologies if this offends you. You bought cheap tires, what did you expect?

Nah it doesn't offend me, but it is a pointless comment (apologies if that offends you).
Spending £80 on a tyre isn't a lot, but you still don't expect grip as bad as I have experienced with these.
I've bought a lot cheaper before for other cars and they have never been as bad as these have been so far.

Just giving my experience mate, I bought some **** tyres and learnt my lesson. Your best off buying mid range from camskills and then getting them fitted locally.

he is right mate in all cases ive sseen grip gets really bad with all cheap tyres pay an extra 25-30 quid and youll start seeing what you expect the really cheap tyres really are for only selling the car for old people and for vans and taxi's

So what brand are these rubbish tyres? Are you going to let on because a lot of people on here have bought replica packages off ebay and they always come with Billy budgets!

Also to be fair, £80 is not cheapo you can get Kumho Ecsta, Falkens, and other mid range ones for around that.

I have some 225/40/18's by a brand called "clear" They were £44 each and they are scary as **** to drive on in the rain hence my question about the brand!

I recently bought some new style RS6 reps with budget tires on them and to be honest havent really found the tires a problem maybe thats cause i have traded my sport 17" alloys with midrange tires for 18" with budget they seem to have about the same levels of grip throught the mega windy roads near my house in the dry and the wet !!

Last edited:
So what brand are these rubbish tyres? Are you going to let on because a lot of people on here have bought replica packages off ebay and they always come with Billy budgets!

Also to be fair, £80 is not cheapo you can get Kumho Ecsta, Falkens, and other mid range ones for around that.

I have some 225/40/18's by a brand called "clear" They were £44 each and they are scary as **** to drive on in the rain hence my question about the brand!

They are autogrip of some crap like that. Seen them now for about 50 odd quid just supplied, so already looking like I paid over the odds with the £80 fitted/balanced price I paid.

Kinda needed the tyres there and then and the next ones up were some pirellis or goodyear for about £150 each.

Let's continue to lead the thread astray lol:

Sarah is the devil indeed! I've now seen some hyper black silver looking RS6 wheels which looks good in pictures. What color silver is cloest to OEM?

Back on subject:
Have you tested at Tescos yet lol?

Last edited:
new shape rs6's or old pii ???

I keep changing minds between new RS6 and new S3 then 18s and 19s.

19s would probably be a bit of a problem for me as I drive to and from work and you know London!!!

Which ones did you pick up matt? If new ones to PM me pic lol

Have you tested at Tescos yet lol?

I'm still dizzy!
Nah, gonna do it tonight instead. Been reading more about breaking in tyres and it seems for the first couple of hundred miles tyres can be very poor. Seen loads of reviews saying the same.
Still think I got a bit stitched up with these tyres though!

Let's continue to lead the thread astray lol:

:keule:I give up... do as you please with the thread!!!! ;)

Imagine how 'cool' you'd look in front of the local Tesco mob hanging in the car parks :haha:

Ah but I suddenly remebered seeing your photos in the Mrs thread so heck who care (so long as she doesnt see you) :sly:

Live and learn with these things right. Maybe you should call the garage and say you nearly 'slipped lanes' on a roundabout and see what they say. Rather than assume it'll sort itself out, present your concerns back to the garage and wait for them to provide their 'expertise' over it.

Just thinking you should make them tell you it will sort itself out , just in case it doesn't. You see where I am coming from?

Imagine how 'cool' you'd look in front of the local Tesco mob hanging in the car parks :haha:

Ah but I suddenly remebered seeing your photos in the Mrs thread so heck who care (so long as she doesnt see you) :sly:

Live and learn with these things right. Maybe you should call the garage and say you nearly 'slipped lanes' on a roundabout and see what they say. Rather than assume it'll sort itself out, present your concerns back to the garage and wait for them to provide their 'expertise' over it.

Just thinking you should make them tell you it will sort itself out , just in case it doesn't. You see where I am coming from?

Yep, yep, and yep!

I'm going back to the tyre shop this morning.

What I want:

1) A refund of at least 75% (£120) of what I paid for these tyres.
2) Free fitting of the tyres that I will be sourcing elsewhere
3) An apology for giving me a short-term phobia of roundabouts.

If I get 1 and 2 from the above list then I'll be happy as I won't be out of pocket, and can move on with my life, skid free!

Wish me luck...

Yep, yep, and yep!

I'm going back to the tyre shop this morning.

What I want:

1) A refund of at least 75% (£120) of what I paid for these tyres.
2) Free fitting of the tyres that I will be sourcing elsewhere
3) An apology for giving me a short-term phobia of roundabouts.

If I get 1 and 2 from the above list then I'll be happy as I won't be out of pocket, and can move on with my life, skid free!

Wish me luck...

Mate I wish you all the spare luck I have today. I'm working today so need lady luck to ensure it's not a hectic day for me! Bah besides, you have a supermodel girlfriend so you can afford a few mishaps in life. God is fair after all :drag: