Chris NottAH Fabrications
    Neutral

Status

DAB Radio adapter

Hi guys,

One of the two things i quite fancied, but couldn't get, when i specced by 2.0TDI BE Quattro 3dr were DAB radio and the tiptronic gearbox. I have the DVD based sat-nav system and having read an article on DAB radio heard that Ford were releasing an adapter for their head units to convert them to DAB units. Does anyone know of any similar plans Audi may have for my unit?

I would really like DAB radio but don't want to fit an untidy secondary unit and would love an adapter fitted to the back which would mean the radio button then becomes DAB.

Cheers,

Mark

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    Can't see them doing anything like this tbh. As they've just refreshed the RNS-E unit, if they were going to support DAB they'd have built it in at that point surely?

Their high-end MMI system now supports DAB so that's probably the way forward. The RNS-E is now only supplied in the A3, TT & R8 so I'd imagine that, as these models are replaced, they'll get the full MMI system and the RNS-E will be retired.

From what I've heard, DAB is overrated anyway. Coverage and reception can be problematic with a stationary unit, let alone in a moving car.
    Daytona Grey Audi A3 2.0TDI 150 S-Line with Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Alcantara/Leather seats, B&O sound, DAB radio, Folding/dimming mirrors

Sharpest Tongue in the West

Status
    I use my iPhone in it's cradle connected via an aux cable that runs behind the dash into the back of the headunit, nice and tidy and you can use the radio app to recieve internet streamed radio stations from all over the world.

Sounds so much better than FM radio.

You need an iPhone or similar type of phone to do it, but good value option if you already have one.
    Porsche Cayman S |Jeep Grand Cherokee|1988 Ford Fiesta XR2

www.essexdriversclub.com

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by beanoir View Post
    I use my iPhone in it's cradle connected via an aux cable that runs behind the dash into the back of the headunit, nice and tidy and you can use the radio app to recieve internet streamed radio stations from all over the world.

Sounds so much better than FM radio.

You need an iPhone or similar type of phone to do it, but good value option if you already have one.
    And a generous monthly data access limit if you spend a lot of time in the car

Paul
    2011 (MY12) Skoda Octavia II FL VRS Manual Hatch 2.0Tsi in Race Blue.
    Gone not forgotten -
    2005 Black A3 (8P1) S-Line 2.0TDi DSG. Eibach Pro Springs, Koni FSD shocks and a few bling bits inside.
    Revo 99 GTi Turbo, too much to list mod wise.
    92 Golf Gti Mark 2 16V.

VCDS HEX-USB+CAN

Gievf Buckets

Status
    you could always go for a freeview tuner in the car, youd get your dab access then

2007 S3 PhantomSchwartz

Spec | Auto Lights | Black Headlining | RNS-E with 6 CD Changer | Phone Prep | Facelift Tails | MFSW | Cruise | Bluetooth | Adaptive Bi-xenon Headlights |

Mods
    | MY10 Facelift | 75% LED's | Sepang Bronze Facelift Alloys

Plans | LED 3dr tails | BBK Setup | Some BBS | Custom TBE |

Quote Originally Posted by N8
    Yes, but they are OEM Phaeton Helios alloy wheels, not cheap ****e aftermarket piles of poop.

..... (_!_) Sarah's A3s #1 Fan
    Railway Line Champion

Status
    Phil, is it lunch time already lol, get back to work and get that S3 finished, or are you still searching for buckets?
    Audi A6 Avant (2002) 2.5 V6 Quattro. Sunroof, Bluetooth mp3 Xcarlink, 6cd, xenons, tints, ST3, 18" RS6s
    I have VCDS and I'm not afraid to use it, well, a little bit?

Sharpest Tongue in the West

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Gti Jazz Blue View Post
    And a generous monthly data access limit if you spend a lot of time in the car

Paul
    The iPhone data tariffs are unlimited. Well they always were until the new iPhone 4 came out now any new contract is subject to data limits, hence why i'm sticking with the one i'm on!
    Porsche Cayman S |Jeep Grand Cherokee|1988 Ford Fiesta XR2

www.essexdriversclub.com

Gievf Buckets

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Watty View Post
    Phil, is it lunch time already lol, get back to work and get that S3 finished, or are you still searching for buckets?
    haha no sneaking on while i waited on some stuff uploading, im still raking, i live in hope of bargin buckets!

2007 S3 PhantomSchwartz

Spec | Auto Lights | Black Headlining | RNS-E with 6 CD Changer | Phone Prep | Facelift Tails | MFSW | Cruise | Bluetooth | Adaptive Bi-xenon Headlights |

Mods
    | MY10 Facelift | 75% LED's | Sepang Bronze Facelift Alloys

Plans | LED 3dr tails | BBK Setup | Some BBS | Custom TBE |

Quote Originally Posted by N8
    Yes, but they are OEM Phaeton Helios alloy wheels, not cheap ****e aftermarket piles of poop.