Hybrid turbo

cimic

Reaction score
I'm looking into getting a hybrid turbo for my a3 (2.0 tdi dsg) as my current remap doesn't seem to be enough. 180 bhp 320 lb/ft torque.
I'm not sure if the box is restricting the torque because it feels like traction kicking in when the turbo comes on boost even when it's turned off. So I'm also thinking of getting the box remapped. Also with a hybrid turbo should I be changing my exhaust I've read that I should but also the reverse. Any help would be great.
Cheers,
Mike

i dont see any evidence that the dsg box actually restricts torque, although in theory it could control it - certainly on a standard remap/turbo the box doesnt limit what the turbo can do

with a standard turbo, the torque is great mid-range but isnt held high in the revs, so its all over very quickly, although the dsg helps a lot.

a plug-in hybrid turbo uses the normal exhaust manifold and hot side of the turbo, and they machine out the cold side to take a larger more efficient compressor wheel, meaning it can move more air with less heat for any given boost pressure,

they tend to hold the boost much higher in the revs range, but because the compressor is heavier you will lose a little at the bottom end.

to offset this, a decat and less restrictive exhaust (specifically the back box) will spool up the turbo quicker and help to reduce lag.

so once you fit and map your hybrid, you have a higher working revs range, and torque about 360-380lb/ft and upto 240hp or so, but you will find the dsg standard drive mode keeps the revs slightly too low and therefore off boost more often

a dsg remap can change the revs change points higher up to compensate for this, and adjust the alleged torque limiter to usually 500nm just to make sure that the gearbox isnt restricting the torque (although a flat top restricted torque curve would drive more like a petrol engine and still keep the high power output so isnt necessarily a bad thing anyway...)

Where did you get your dsg remapped and how much did it cost?

mine was done by autograph cars in burnley - they are local to me, cost £350.

they did about 5 versions before i settled on one that gave the best combination of shift revs during normal driving - some kept the revs too high and some changed too low - as it was custom then i also sped up change times, changed the 3rd/.4th/5th manual changes to purely manual, increased torque limiter