Think my turbo's died - how can I confirm?

MarkA3

Reaction score
Hi all, sorry my first post is requesting help!
I have an A3 2.0 TDI (53 plate) which has covered 103,000 miles. Earlier today while pulling away and accelerating in 2nd gear (approx. 2,000-2,500rpm), I heard a pop and noticed quite a bit of smoke in the rear view mirror. After this the car has very little power which keeps cutting in and out causing a very slow juddery drive. No warning lights are on.
I was just wondering if there is anything I can do, with my limited mechanical know-how, that will confirm what exactly the problem is?
All suggestions welcome, cheers!

hmm, it could be anything. It would be worth getting a VCDS scan to see if it's anything else.

Where are you located in case someone else lives close that can help you by scanning it for you

Thanks for the reply, I have a vag-com cable but won't be able to scan it til tomorrow evening as my friend has borrowed it. I'll post the results as soon as.
I've had a look under the bonnet and can't see anything obvious, no leaks, all fluids still at correct level.

Any other things I can do in the meantime?

Not that I can see Matt, everything looks connected. Cheers for the suggestion.

Mines at awesome tomorrow to get rid of James Galway...Sick of his ****** flute playing. Brand new garrett going on & sending the other to CR for a refurb.

Mine did go into limp mode yesterday, but i was racing an Alpina cab & an M3 at the time