Am i scratching my own car? / Mudflaps

sunscreemer

Back with the 4 rings
Reaction score
Hi guys. Must apologise, hardly been here since picked up my new 2.0 TDI Black Edition Quattro 3dr phantom black on 15th April. Been loving it since - and been very busy as done almost 3,500 miles so far! Am thinking it is cursed though. It arrived with a chip on the boot and i arranged for it to go back in to the garage (they didn't notice the chip until i was on my way to pick it up) and the first weekend out a rock hit me from a farm vehicle and put a nice 2 inch scrape down the front wing - which to be fair to Audi they fixed for £100 + VAT when it went in for the other repair, a fraction of what it would normally cost.

Anyway, since then (aside from a chip on the NSF wheel arch!) i got a fine scratch about two feet long down the rear left quarter, ending above the rear wheel arch. Doesn't look like it's been keyed and is unlikely to have been done at work or home. I can only think it looks like the corner of the posties bag or something must have scraped it outside my girlfriends house. Anyway, heartbreaking as that is i think it MAY be rectified completely by a visit from chips away or someone.

Now, since the above i have noticed a 6 inch scratch has appeared above the rear right wheel arch, similar in depth the the left side. Gutted again!!!! Now i am wondering, does anyone think that these are being caused by stones flicking up from my own front tyres?

If so, i am thinking of getting a set of mudflaps. I can't seem to find anywhere online that sells them, including ebay, just the main dealer (code 8P0075111 front). The main dealer doesn't seem to have any rear ones if you search their accessories online and in any case have seen two codes for the rear on forums (8P3075101 for 3 door?). Are the front ones easy to fit? Do you have to remove the rear wheels to fit the rear? Has anyone just got a front set and does it look strange with front only as the rear aren't necessary?

Sorry for the ramble and all the questions, but i would love to know if i can get the source of the problem solved then get a proper repair done on the damage (colour magic masking them a little bit but not good enough!).

Thanks,

Mark

In experience stone chips don't manifest themselves as long scratches - have you driven/parked close to any bushes/hedges recently?

Are there alot of kids that hang about outside you or your girlfriends house?

Is it possible that it could be people leaning back on your car and then scrapping the paint as they move?

I can't see the wheels flicking stones onto the car, and then making a long scratch...

Nor me, i have the front mudflaps on my car, they were about £30 from the stealers, and they fitted them FOC as my car was in for a chip on the paint that was missed on the PDI.
dealer did tell me that they wouldnt charge any more than a 1/4 of an hour for fitting though. they dont remove the wheels to fit the front ones, rear are probably a different story though.
will be interested if you find the right ones for the rear though, as dealers tell me that there isnt any, but i've seen them on 3dr Be's before!

I had front and rear mudflaps which I fiited myself on my 55 plate 20Tq, for the front one's you had to remove one of the sill bolts which you when refitted to hold the mudflap on. The rears were easier if i remember correctly, think it was a series of clips. I suppose it did help to keep the car a little cleaner but thats all, they won't prevent any chipping. To be honest I wouldn't bother, i didn't with my S3 which i owned up until recently and that came to no harm. You problems are certainly not caused by having no mudflaps.

Mark

Hi guys, thanks for the replies. To my knowledge i've not driven or parked next to anything that would cause such scratches and when my car is at the gf's it is off-road up a drive behind gates so shouldn't be due to anyone leaning against it, besides the look too long for that. I probably won't bother with the mudflaps if it doesn't look like this damage is due to that - was clutching at straws i guess. I have a Black Eos for 2 years before this and that never suffered similar so it's not just a black car thing!