Chris NottSky Insurance
    2nd Gear

Status

What's the pros and cons of spacers?

This is probably a stupid question because i know the look of the stance would be better but are there any side effects from fitting spacers? ie losing warrenty.

Also does anyone have any before and after shots on a car? would be appreciated.

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    Some manufacturers claim the wider foot print will not only improve stance but also the overall handling. The cons are you are liable to increase the chance of arch rubbing, the altering of the cars stance may be putting additional strain on components like wheel bearings and if you frequent track days its worth checking the wheel bolt torque settings after each session as the hubs and spacers may have different cooling times which could in theory lead to a loosening of the wheel bolts ?!?

Look damn good though and th majority of people us them with no issues
    Wife - 12 BMW 320D 181 bhp, 8 Speed Auto, Melbourne Red, Heated Leather, privacy.
    10 S3 SB, Phantom, Buckets,Int light Pack, Privacy. (Sold)
    Golf GTi MK6 - Revo stage 2, ITG, Milltek Race TBE, AP Racing 4 pot BBK - Sold.
    10 S3 SB, Phantom, Buckets,Int light Pack, Privacy,Nav, Park sensors, 6 disc, Revo Stage 1, ITG Enclosed Intake - Sold
    BMW M135i F20 - Bloody good straight from the box !

"Fast Cars are Safer...."

6th Gear

Status
    spins right on all accounts, only thing to add is 10-15mm can be ran fine for wheel bearings, anything more than that and it can kill them depending on the car.
    B6 1.8T Avant s line gmbh

2nd Gear

Status
    Not much chance of me track running it as its the 140 TDI and its going to be a motorway hauler with the miles i do, just want it to look nice as ive had company cars for so long now and i cant touch them.

Do you think that they would rub on a standard set up? only plan to put some springs on at some later point also. thinking both need to be done at the same time..?

Gievf Buckets

Status
    a wider wheelbase is only better for your car, less liable to tip!

2007 S3 PhantomSchwartz

Spec | Auto Lights | Black Headlining | RNS-E with 6 CD Changer | Phone Prep | Facelift Tails | MFSW | Cruise | Bluetooth | Adaptive Bi-xenon Headlights |

Mods
    | MY10 Facelift | 75% LED's | Sepang Bronze Facelift Alloys

Plans | LED 3dr tails | BBK Setup | Some BBS | Custom TBE |

Quote Originally Posted by N8
    Yes, but they are OEM Phaeton Helios alloy wheels, not cheap ****e aftermarket piles of poop.

2nd Gear

Status
    I have noticed that allot of people (granted on A4's and such) are fitting a 5mm to the front and then a larger set to the rear. Also when people talk about 10mm spacers is that 5mm each side?

Seems very complicated unless you know, i am planning on leaving the 18" rims on and lowering 50mm with springs, dont think that would rub unless someone has experience?

MODERATOR V6 S3 Hybrid

Status
    Would using these on the rear only give any issues with Quattro?? And wheres the best place to get some please?

Mauritus Blue 3.2 V6 S Line Quattro DSG Xenons Sunroof Leather Sat Nav/Changer/TV/Text W8 & Int Light Pack Dark H/Lining Tints PDC S3 Kit '11 Rears Sachs/Eibachs & more... Build Thread

2nd Gear

Status
    i would assume that they would be fine, just need someone who has some to let us know what the sizes should be for happy trucking.. pics would earn a cookie too!

MODERATOR V6 S3 Hybrid

Status
    I'll ask N8, sure he will know!

Mauritus Blue 3.2 V6 S Line Quattro DSG Xenons Sunroof Leather Sat Nav/Changer/TV/Text W8 & Int Light Pack Dark H/Lining Tints PDC S3 Kit '11 Rears Sachs/Eibachs & more... Build Thread

3rd Gear

Status
    I'm interested in this aswell. Was thinking 10mm at the back and leave front standard should be ok? Sarah dpm seems to be best place with some h&r spacers (look better made than the forge imo)

Thanks
    Shane
    STUFF FOR SALE: DLS R6 Midbass drivers, MFSW 3 spoke and Pioneer P88RS II
    STUFF FOR SWAPS:
    3 door A3 8P custom doorbuilds

please contact for more info

MODERATOR V6 S3 Hybrid

Status
    Cheers Shame. Like you im not needing the fronts done!

MODERATOR V6 S3 Hybrid

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah's A3 View Post
    Cheers Shame. Like you im not needing the fronts done!
    just looked at this http://www.dpmperformance.co.uk/a3-8...1941_2929.html looks good! thanks

2nd Gear

Status
    Why would you do the rear and not the front? (snigger) sorry serious question.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Richy_C View Post
    I have noticed that allot of people (granted on A4's and such) are fitting a 5mm to the front and then a larger set to the rear. Also when people talk about 10mm spacers is that 5mm each side?

Seems very complicated unless you know, i am planning on leaving the 18" rims on and lowering 50mm with springs, dont think that would rub unless someone has experience?
    I'm lowered 50 mm on standard 18s with no rubbing at all, Ive just taken some pics so I'll try and post them up.
    2.0TDI DSG S-Line in Red

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Richy_C View Post
    Why would you do the rear and not the front? (snigger) sorry serious question.

Because I reckon front will run when I get round to getting some new springs rear seems to have plenty of space, though if someone has spaced front and back would love to see pics/hear experiences please
    STUFF FOR SWAPS:

Neutral

Status

Pics

Hopefully images of my car will have appeared above I haven't tried this before so my fingers are crossed. It's lowered 50 mm on Eibachs will 345mm front brakes. I'm also thinking of getting spacers but would ideally get some BBS CH or LM reps in 19" with ET45.
    2.0TDI DSG S-Line in Red

3rd Gear

Status
    Very nice mate, I'm going for the 35mm H&R's as without going to collies there the lowest I can get
    STUFF FOR SWAPS:

3rd Gear

Status
    I run 20mm H&R's in the back, and I just had my first rub. Not a bad one, and it was a mad swing of the steering wheel, coupled with a weight in the back (A Fender Twin-Reverb in the trunk... quite a weighty little beastie!) combined with a 'ridge' in the road.

More than 20mm in the back, (with stock 17" alloy offsets) is inadvisable. I'm not sure how much load the 20mm is putting on the wheel bearings, but I like the slight 'stance' improvement at the back, together with the 'flatter' cornering. (I think I just found out its limit!)

I wouldn't go over 10mm in the fronts though.

Keith

Lets make that kitten purr...

Status
    I have 12mm on the rears and Eibach Pro springs which lowered my standard s-line ride height buy about 10mm. I get rubbing but only when 4 up over speed bumps.

I think this can be rectified by removing one of the arch-liner srews but as I rarely have rear seat passengers so haven't done so.

Stance is much improved though - you'll be surpirsed by how much.

Got mine form DPM - great service and price.
    2008 A3 1.8T FSI S-line Phantom Black, Bose, iPod Dock, Front Centre Armrest, Storage Pack, Aluminium Pedals, H&R Spacers, Eibach Pro's, Ambient Lighting, Pressed plates with Ingolstadt surrounds.

2nd Gear

Status
    Oh cool, Good pictures cimic and nice feed back all, do you have any pictures of yours Mr Burgandy? i know your kind of a big deal and all but if you find time...

Lets make that kitten purr...

Status
    Afraid not. Will try and upload some over the weekend.
    2008 A3 1.8T FSI S-line Phantom Black, Bose, iPod Dock, Front Centre Armrest, Storage Pack, Aluminium Pedals, H&R Spacers, Eibach Pro's, Ambient Lighting, Pressed plates with Ingolstadt surrounds.

5th Gear

Status
    I get quite a bit of rubbing 12mm spacers rear and quite low on coilies. Can't really have anyone in the back and it was bad when I went camping lol. But hey, maybe one day it'll rub through whatever it's rubbing on and all my problems will go away.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by I'mRonBurgundy? View Post
    I have 12mm on the rears and Eibach Pro springs which lowered my standard s-line ride height buy about 10mm. I get rubbing but only when 4 up over speed bumps.

I think this can be rectified by removing one of the arch-liner srews but as I rarely have rear seat passengers so haven't done so.

Stance is much improved though - you'll be surpirsed by how much.

Got mine form DPM - great service and price.
    Any pics of this yet matey as I'm really keen to see what it looks like?? On the verge of ordering a set of spacers myself but would be great to see what they look like fitted before doing so!!
    Audi A3 2.0 TDi Sport, Lava Grey, -50mm H&R's, 18" RS6's, H&R 10mm Spacers On Front/12mm On Rear, Facelift Rear Lights...