Which Model?

johnsnow

Reaction score
Im looking at a 55 plate (or whatever i can get for 7-8k) A3 Tdi. Im just wondering if there is much difference between the 2.0 Tdi and the 1.9Tdi? Is there any particular models i should be looking out for (Sport, SE ?)

Hi

2.0tdi will be alot more powerful than the 1.9tdi. 2.0tdi is 140bhp and the 1.9tdi is 105bhp or 100bhp one of them. If i was you try get S-line standard leather, lowered etc looks alot better than the SE and Sport aswell. But with your price range an s-line will have over 120k on an 03reg- maybe 05reg you wont get an 55reg S-line in that price range inless it has quite alot of miles on. If you go for a Sport or SE could possible get one on a 03reg-54reg with less then 100k but if you want a 55reg as already said gonna have high miles.
If unable to get an S-line go for a Sport model.

test driven a 2.0 TDI and been given a 1.9 TDI as a courtesy car. 2.0 TDI is a much nicer engine, not to mention more powerful. obviously the trade off is lower fuel economy, but ppl on here have been reporting as much as 55mpg from their 2.0 TDIs so it's not as if it's THAT much of a problem. depends on what gearbox you want as well. the 1.9 TDI only came as a manual until the 2nd facelift was released. also if you wanna tune the engine there's more you can do with the 2.0 TDI.

for the 8P2 (i.e. a 55 reg car) the SE has the comfort stuff (auto lights/wipers, 16" alloys) whereas the Sport is 17s as standard, fogs, sports seats (a must have imho) and stiffer suspension. they both come with dual zone climate control as standard. for me it's a no brainer, go for the Sport but if you can find an S-Line then go for that instead.

the only things that can't feasibly be retrofitted that i really wanted when i was looking for a 2nd hand car recently was auto lights/wipers (needs a new windshield apparently). if you wanna retrofit OEM satnav best go for a car with double DIN (i.e. Symphony II - it has a front loading 6 CDC and a tape player). BOSE is nice to have, but you can get better aftermarket speakers.

in short it depends on what's important to you (power vs. economy, comfort vs. sportiness) and what plans you have for the car afterwards (if any).

Last edited:
thanks for the advice. Sounds like I should be looking for a 2.0TDI Sport 55 plate or newer in my price range (sline as you say is out of my price range).

Ive seen a few locally for around the 7-8k mark with around 70k miles. Is there anything obvious I should be a looking for when viewing these cars as potential warning signs to stear clear of?

In terms of gearboxes I believe the DSG can be expensive to repair so I would be looking at manuals only. Plans for the car ideally keep it for a few years as an A to B to get me to work. I doubt ill do more than 8k miles a year in it

Personally, if you are only doing 8k a year, I'd get a petrol!

Just one thing to bear in mind was some of the 2.0 tdi's in the age you are looking at had porous heads. Check them out well before buying, I got stung as alot on here know and its not a cheap do if the car has no warranty which at this age, they wont. Just a thought.

Also check there are no turbo issues too.

But as Benskin said above the S Line is a better car to get if funds allow.

Just one thing to bear in mind was some of the 2.0 tdi's in the age you are looking at had porous heads. Check them out well before buying, I got stung as alot on here know and its not a cheap do if the car has no warranty which at this age, they wont. Just a thought.

Also check there are no turbo issues too.

But as Benskin said above the S Line is a better car to get if funds allow.

How would i check for porous heads and turbo issues?

Check the coolant level. Porous heads result in loss of coolant. Try to find all previous history even if it means speaking to the dealers its been serviced at.

Turbos when on the way out can sound whiney but there have been quite a few threads on this, some recently too.

I was just unlucky but not all are affected.

Just take it for a test drive, listen to the engine and get someone to look over it for extra peace of mind.

Sure you will find a good one, happy hunting.