My stereo...doesn't fit :(

darkfibre

Reaction score
Just bought an S3, but the HU doesn't fit flush. It looks to be the wrong one. Please could someone advise me which standard Audi HU options will fit the gap? My car is a 2002 model.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:
My 2p: it looks like it's out of an A4 or bigger as whilst the head units are all the same, they have different facias to fit into the different shaped dash.

You want to find yourself an Audi Concert II (a Chorus might also fit) but make sure it's out of an 8L chassis A3. I don't know the year of your car but avoid the original Concert headunit (with the volume dial in the centre) as these had a notorious fault and I think might be too old for your car looking at your dash.

If you get one from ebay make sure it's the right size and has the code!

Thanks mate, mine is a 2002 model, I just want to make sure I get the right fit!

Yes you need to ensure the new HU is from a 01/02 or 03 8L as these are CANBUS controlled HU's and your 02 will use the CANBUS to control the HU. If you get one that isn't then you will need to wire in an ignition on feed to it and it will throw errors on VAGCOM/VCDS

Thanks AndyMac.

Does anyone know the exact part number I should be looking for? Most of the ones I see in ebay are of the single dial variety...

I've seen one for a 2003 A2 - Chorus tape deck. It looks like it will fit, but can anyone confirm?

They all look like they will fit but as said they are all slightly different.
This one is from an A3 but doesn't state year, worth asking him:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Audi-Concert-...S_In_Car_Audio_Players_PP&hash=item4150e29cd5

or this one:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Audi-Concert-...S_In_Car_Audio_Players_PP&hash=item3caec567ae
Or this:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUDI-STEREO-B...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3caea81cff

Anything with a chrome strip along the top is from a B6, looks like the one you have had the strip and it's been removed.

Thanks for the info, have checked them out and am waiting on replies.

I called my local Audi dealer, and they said there are around 9 different 1DIN units available for my car! He mentioned that the one that is most likely to fit (based on the reg I supplied to him) is a Chorus 2, model 8L0 035 152.

I've only managed to find one of these available abroad!

Can anyone tell me if the menu system can be changed to English??

Sounds like there's a quorum of people here who are on the same subject I was going to posta thread about!

I have a '99 S3, which of course has the issue with the dial.
I don't want to go for an after-market unit - do any of you know which Audi head unit I can get that will fit, and won't have the annoying dial issue please??

Thanks a lot!
Greg

Greggers - My first S3 (2000/X-reg) had the Audi Concert tape player with the centre volume control and yes you guessed it, it had the dodgy volume control. Audi did an exchange for £150 where they gave me a brand spanking new one and they took my old head unit. Remember you get a 2yr warranty on Audi parts purchased through a dealer. I had the car for a further three years after the new radio was fitted and I never had another problem with the radio. So personally, I'd recommend doing that. Saves all the fannying with Ebay - will it fit or won't it, does it have the correct code etc.

I don't think it will. 4B is a TT code, AFAIK. But, it should work if you're not bothered about the fascia fit.

Just purchased a Chorus II off ebay.de, the 8L edition - hope it bladdy fits!

That £150 offer was limited, normal price is £400+ IIRC. Stafford Audi used to run the offer on ebay for a while but even they've stopped doing it now.

Thanks S3mad_dude / darkfibre

The thing I'm not sure about then is which headunits will fit the pre-facelift 8L S3...checking eBay, there are lots of headunits noted as being fro an 8L car, but if they are different depending on whether it's pre or post facelift then is is worrying!

I've seen some original, apparently new Chorus stereos, so maybe I should just go for one of them.
There's the Concert 2 (http://cgi.ebay.de/Original-Audi-Co...=CE_Auto_Hi_Fi_Autoradios&hash=item1e5ce4ca5d), which looks to be the around same size but obviously a picture doesn't confirm that!
Then there's another Concert stereo (http://cgi.ebay.de/AUDI-Aluringe-A3-8L-8P-A4-8E-B6-B7-Radio-Chorus-Concert-/380216276066?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Autoteile_Zubeh%C3%B6r&hash=item5886a7f462) which looks similar.

At a loss...!

I thought the pre-facelift S3s only had the Audi Chorus, and that is the version with the volume knob in the middle. The other radios are out from facelift S3s.

If that's the case then getting a CD to play in the car's not going to be easy!
Wanted to keep it looking totally original, but it looks like that's going out of the window if I want to not have to use cassette tapes!

Well, I had the Chorus casette player (knob in the middle) and it had a CD changer in the boot. If you can get a changer and the cable, just plug it in the back of the radio and run it through to the boot. Six CDs instead of one!!

Thanks S3mad_dude / darkfibre

The thing I'm not sure about then is which headunits will fit the pre-facelift 8L S3...checking eBay, there are lots of headunits noted as being fro an 8L car, but if they are different depending on whether it's pre or post facelift then is is worrying!

I've seen some original, apparently new Chorus stereos, so maybe I should just go for one of them.
There's the Concert 2 (http://cgi.ebay.de/Original-Audi-Co...=CE_Auto_Hi_Fi_Autoradios&hash=item1e5ce4ca5d), which looks to be the around same size but obviously a picture doesn't confirm that!
Then there's another Concert stereo (http://cgi.ebay.de/AUDI-Aluringe-A3-8L-8P-A4-8E-B6-B7-Radio-Chorus-Concert-/380216276066?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Autoteile_Zubeh%C3%B6r&hash=item5886a7f462) which looks similar.

At a loss...!

Regarding the bit in bold, I believe that just refers to the silver rings on the dials...!

I've gone down the route to just get the HU that was originally assigned to my vehicle - the tape deck. Called my local Audi dealer up and he supplied the HU part number for my reg. I'm not gonna bother risking getting a HU that works but doesn't fit properly - I'd just be ending up with what I have already...

Luckily I have the 6 CD changer in the back. Just need to attach a mod so that I can play mp3s.

In fact, I don't even mind having a tape deck - it's given me a reason to play all my old mix tapes and reminisce :)

S3mad_dude - I've just checked and my car has a CD changer in the boot! Yes, I know. In my defence, I bought my car 4 years ago, drove it 80 miles, blew the engine, put a new engine in, blew that within 3 miles, and after that it's been in storage until a lot of work to restore it to road-readiness these past couple of months.

And darkfibre, I see what you mean - these iPod / MP3 connection things are about 40-50 quid on eBay. Only problem then is you choose that over your CDs (or switching the plugs regularly...).
Although, you might have a point there. Might be time to dig out the late-90's tape packs!

Cheers fellas,
Greg