Engine Change

musotechy

Reaction score
Hi All,

I think I am in the right place :blink: My son recently purchased a 1999 Audi A3 but, for some reason I have got to become the expert!

He took the car on knowing that the engine is faulty and saving for a refit. He has just called me asking if I can find out if a 1.8 turbo engine of the same year will fit in to his 1.6 model without to much needing to be changed. He knows that the ECU would have to be changed at the very least but, he has no knowledge about the rest. Could anyone please offer some advice about if it can be done, and if it is worth the effort and not waiting for the right one to come along?

I am sorry if this question has been asked before. I did do a search for terms that I thought were relevent but no results were shown.

Many thanks

muso

will need the gerbox and other associated parts. ecu, clocks, keys, brakes

basically a whole world of aggro. id put another 1.6 in a sell it. no point putting effort into "making" a car you can just buy, esp something that common

I'd echo Matt's advice on this.

I've done engine conversions on cars in the past and although you can do them relatively easy it just ends up being hassle, there always seems to be something you need to mess with.

Best just to replace like for like and buy a 1.8T.

Many thanks for the info guys, I am personally glad it won't. He doesn't need anymore speed....

Thank you

muso

Never mind the fact that insurence will also be higher, companys seem to charge alot more for a car that has had an engine change than the car it came from itself !.

If that makes sence lol

Dont do it just buy a 1.8T. It would prob cost more to do the engine change than to buy a 1.8T!

LOL... Thank you all for the replies.

From what I can make out (he's 18 so information is a little hard to extract) the 1.8T engine was from someone he knows so, I am assuming it was going to be cheap. I have let him know the info that you guys have been kind enough to give. I think he has been persuaded not to go down this route but, as I said he is 18 and tomorrow is another day...

Thanks for all your help (I have no doubt I will be back here often)

All the best

lol, yeah i remember wanting to spend loads of money on suspension for a car that wasnt woth more than 500 quid

You can get 1.8t for like £1800, wont be top notch but still.