Volks AutosBadger5
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status

Fitting Porsche 996 front brakes- a small write up

Well, after originally buying a 996 rear setup from DaveB around 3 months ago, I had to sell them at short notice after my Mini decided to try and cold weld a valve head into the piston crown:

Ouch- luckily, things went my way, and I've managed to source a cracking new engine for silly money.

So, still needing brakes for the A3,II decided this time that I'd go bigger again, and get something really cool. After speaking at great length to Dave once more, we decided that the ideal setup for me would be the 996 front setup, using 330x28mm discs.

I sourced the calipers, from a 2002 996 911 carrera 2, and sent them off to Dave. Dave rebuilt them with new pistons and seals and had them powder coated and applied new decals. he also sourced everything else I needed, and gave me a very good deal on a set of part worn Pagid RS19 track pads

Here's the kit as it arrived from Dave:

My mate rob came round to give me a hand fitting them, he likes to watch when I do all my mods, and if they work we end up doing the same to his Leon. I think he wants some porsche brakes:

Here's our work station, wedged into our little courtyard, my old A3 still blocking my parking space until I can fix it and get it gone!

Before we started, here are the standard 288's that came off:

With the old brakes removed, it was time to mount the new setup.

First, the carriers went onto the hubs. Escuse the poor pics, the light wasn't ideal

Then I offered up the disc, Dave supplied two mounting studs to make it easier to get them on

Then I bolted the caliper on, only hand tight for now, and slotted the pads in.

I was amazed at how easily the pads fit in, they just slot into the top of the caliper, then a steel pin goes through the top of the pads and is secured with an R-clip

Here's the finished setup, I fitted the HEL braided lines, and made sure they had a decent route not interfering with anything.

All that's left at this point is to repeate the process on the other side, then bleed the brakes

Sadly, my new iphone decided at this point that it'd had enough of sitting in the warm car, so stopped working:

Whilst we waited for the phone to cool, I got out the EZbleed, and set it up using the spare tyre at 20psi to pressure bleed the system.

We decided to bleed the whole system to get a really good pedal. We bled the fronts first as normal to get them working, then went to the the back and did all 4 corners in the correct order, furthest to nearest, so the fronts were bled twice. We also bled the master cylinder just to be sure all the air in the system was gone

The organised mess

The master cylinder bleed nipples are pretty well hidden, I wasn't able to get a spanner small enough, and ended up surrounding the nipples with a Rag, then undoing them with a socket whilst the system was under pressure. I let each one bleed for 5-6 seconds and did them up again.

Much to my delight, I found the pedal feel was brilliant. If anything, stiffer than the OEM pedal on an old bleed. so that's great news

Here's the finised setup with the wheel back on:

and finally,tThe lucky car to recieve these stoppers:

All in all, I'm incredibly happy with these brakes, I've only put about 40 miles on them so far, but the pedal feel was great from the offset, and the brakes worked instantly without any bedding in. I'm taking it easy until they're bedded properly, but already the stopping power feels immense, with almost no pedal input there's a really nice bite to them, with plenty of modulation.

Seriously good upgrade in my opinion. The calipers are monoblock, so not only stiffer, but also ligther than the brembo GT kit, also larger discs are a bonus, and being Porsche front calipers, there's a truly excellent array of pad choices out there.

Massive thanks to DaveB for these, I can't believe how smoothly the fitting went, and they work perfectly straight away!

For anyone that's interested, Dave can be contacted through UKMKIVS, where his username is DaveB1970

Cheers

Nick
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Audi-sports own special child.

Status
    Very nice write up, loving the brakes.

How much did it end up setting you back in the end nick?
    Driving the most secretive S3 on ASN

Status
    cheers man

I sourced teh calipers myself for 300 posted, and paid Dave a further 500 all in for everything, a 100% bolt on kit, with RS19 track pads, all the lines, anti squeal shims, everything I'd need.

It's hardly cheap, but in my opinion these are better than brembo's, and a few hundred quid cheaper too
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Status
    that's inclduing Dave rebuilding the calipers and powdercoating them too..... just incase that wasn't clear

Audi-sports own special child.

Status
    Tbh thats quite good.

Are the discs 1 or 2 piece?
    Driving the most secretive S3 on ASN

Neutral

Status
    good thread! i guess rebuilding calipers is something dave does then? how dis you post them to him or are you local to him? I might see about getting him to do my LCR ones if im keeping the S3!
    2002 S3, Kingfisher Blue, Custom code stage 1, Forge 007p, Green cotton filter, almost all factory extras!

Status
    yea Dave does caliper refurbs, I think the cost is around 150 for a refurb with new seals, and powder coating. The finish really is excellent though as you can see.

Discs are 1 piece, 2 part discs with alloy bells are around 500 a pair from Bill I believe, SERIOUS money!

It's just my daily at the end of the day so I'm not going to go mad on it...

Neutral

Status
    [QUOTE=Prawn;1020023]yea Dave does caliper refurbs, I think the cost is around 150 for a refurb with new seals, and powder coating. The finish really is excellent though as you can see.QUOTE]

Thats great thanks! i will look him up on the other forum seems well worth the money for the quality!
    2002 S3, Kingfisher Blue, Custom code stage 1, Forge 007p, Green cotton filter, almost all factory extras!

Noggies ruuuule!

Status
    I'm confused.....your location says Portsmouth but in your last picture you're in Basingstoke by the looks of it, about a 20 second walk from my house! Small world eh?!!

Love the new brakes by the way. And the wheels! Are they replica S4 wheels? The caps look very good if they are.

Status
    yea man, I do indeed live in basingstoke! just not updated my profile since I moved.

Beggarwood co-op right? where abouts do you life? That's about a minutes drive from my house, I'm just next to sainsburys

Noggies ruuuule!

Status
    Haha - Co-op Beggarwood, that's right, if you continue straight down Broadmere road, we're just down there!

Status
    small world ey? can't believe I've not seen a noggy S3 around though, they tend to stand out!

Wheels are indeed S4 reps mate, although teh centre caps are genuine, the replica caps were AWFUL, so I got a genuine set from audi and modified them to fit

K1 Driver

Status

My Social Networking

Visit DJ_Troopa's Instagram Channel
    Brakes are VERY nice matey!! Good stuff!
    Inferi Black Cupra K1

Click here for more Troo-Pics!

Status
    Cheers mate, they'd look awesome behind a set of CH's too i reckon

2nd Gear

Status
    Hello, look good,

where did you manage to source the S4 reps from??

Status
    The S4 reps came from autostyle wheels in liverpool back in febuary 2008!

Not sure if they're still able to supply them or not.....

K1 Driver

Status

My Social Networking

Visit DJ_Troopa's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Prawn View Post
    Cheers mate, they'd look awesome behind a set of CH's too i reckon
    lol yes they would indeed! I'm looking at Brembo's at the moment which i may get soon so hopefully they'll look pretty neat behind my wheels. Have you seen the pics?
    Inferi Black Cupra K1

Click here for more Troo-Pics!

Blue Beast

Status
    Brakes look spot on mate!
    Current: Nogi Blue S3 BAM ⁞ Andy Mac sub ⁞ Forge 007P ⁞ TT Pedals ⁞ LCR Splitter ⁞ EBC Discs ⁞ Greenstuff Pads ⁞ Forge Short shifter ⁞ Spacers ⁞ Badger 5 TIP ⁞ Jetex Cone Filter ⁞ RTech Stage 1 Remap ⁞ 8P Gear Knob ⁞ N249 Delete ⁞ Oil Catch Can Mod
    Previous: MK3 Golf GTi 16v

3rd Gear

Status
    Very nice mate! got the brakes sorted at last then!
    are you going to be changing the rears at all?

Status
    I will be changing the rears yes Liam, I really want one of DaveB's 284 rear setups, there's one on ukmkivs at the moment for 260 posted, but I just can't afford it right now

2nd Gear

Status
    Autostyle don't seem do do the wheels any more!!, shame they are nice.

The standard rears are 256mm of the S3??

Is DaveB kit standard R32/TT 3.2 rears or is it a custom kit??

Status
    standard S3 brakes are indeed 256mm, as are TT and R32 rears.

My A3 rears are tiny 232x9mm solids!

DaveB's kit is a custom kit that uses 284x22mm discs with the 256 S3 calipers and custom carriers

2nd Gear

Status
    Rear brakes are really solely for 'LOOKS' tho as any size will do on the back of a A3

Neutral

Status
    did you get my PM? if you want the LCR/S3 rear calipers let me know!

RIP S3dave

Status
    330x28 one piece disks which have 5x100 pcd?
    what are these from?

nice size
    **http://www.facebook.com/Badger5Ltd**

Check out the ever Growing eBay Shop>
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Badger-5-LTD?_trksid=p4340.l2563

Badger 5 Ltd, Queen Annes Gate, Oldends Lane, Stonehouse, Glos, GL10 2DG

http://www.badger5.co.uk, Tel:01453822880
    bill@badger5.co.uk
    **NEW** Badger5 Section CLICK here>> http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/213-badger-5/

Status
    I believe their original home would be on an alfa brera Bill, although the PCD is redrilled to suit 5x100 as you can see in the above pics.

One day in the future I'd love to upgrade to floating discs, but for road use and the odd track day, these are great

RIP S3dave

Status
    thanks for the info.
    some disks i sell come dual drilled and look the same..
    cheers

bill@badger5.co.uk

audi a3

Status
    dont spose your working down at hindhead tunnel are you fella? go past there everyday and see a car pretty same as yours in the car park?

2nd Gear

Status
    prawn i take it you have no close ups of the brake lines? i have some porsche brakes coming and wondered how they fit i need to get some brake lines for them... ie. circular on the back on the caliper then straight fit into the car brake line, if you understand me!?

Ad

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by arsenal_69r View Post
    dont spose your working down at hindhead tunnel are you fella? go past there everyday and see a car pretty same as yours in the car park?
    I do indeed mate! what are you going past in? I alway look out for nice motors passing the office

it's always parked at the end of the row next to the footpath at a 45 degree angle to all the others.

I park it there, as I've made it quite clear to every single person at work that I trust nobody, and refuse to park directly next to any other car on site, be it company or private. nobody parks in my space, my car doesn't get scratched, and the system works! My last A3 got scratched to hell in that carpark

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_Adamski View Post
    prawn i take it you have no close ups of the brake lines? i have some porsche brakes coming and wondered how they fit i need to get some brake lines for them... ie. circular on the back on the caliper then straight fit into the car brake line, if you understand me!?

Ad
    I don't have any pics Ad, but I could possibly try and get you some at the weekend when I take the wheels off for a spanner check.

To be honest though, I'd suggest getting in touch with Dave, these lines are braided made by HEL, and come with a lifetime warranty, all for just 40! For the sake of sourcing your own bits, just tell Dave what calipers you've got and he'll sort the rest!

2nd Gear

Status
    we got any contact details for him? as tbh i dont really want the hassle of registering on another forum that im never gonna use just to contact a guy for some braided hoses ....

Status
    I believe Dave is on SCN as well if you use that, username DaveB1970

It's not too much hastle really to sign up to another forum, 5 minutes tops

The Clar!! it mouves!!!

Status
    top job that Nick...they look lurvely
    Xbox 360 gamer ID : Timffy

Grey Triumph Sprint 1050 ST
    Silver BMW 535D Tourer - Fully loaded 340BHP 700NM torque
    2009 8P3 S3 Brilliant Red - Sold
    2001 F/L S3 Dolphin Grey - Sold
    1999 Pre F/L Silver A3 1.8T - Sold

2nd Gear

Status
    take it back signed up and its a good read, pm'd the guy

RIP S3dave

Status
    did you try 996 rears (same as boxter-s) previously.. How did you find the pedal feel on them? hard as nails?

bill@badger5.co.uk

Status
    I'll be honest Bill I didn't even try them!

I was told by a few people that they're not so amazing, and when I told dave I go to the ring often he suggested I'd probably be better off going for the front setup.

I'm really glad I did too as the pedal feel is absolutely brilliant with these. Slightly firmer than it was before on the standard setup, but I'm putting that down to a very poor bleed previously, as most people report a slight loss in pedal feel

2nd Gear

Status
    Does any one know what DaveB uses for the rear discs??
    I think I am being a bit daft as I can't find the PM link to DaveB1970 on SC?

Status

The Clar!! it mouves!!!

Status
    my neighbour is using boxster S rears (4 pots i think) on his Leon Nick/Bill.....was talking to him last night about them, absolutely loves them but had to chop the pins to make the pads fit - total pad width including disc just would not have slotted into the mono block otherwise.

i only mentioned to him as i thought his upgrade was the none recommended one but he's happy as larry with them
    Xbox 360 gamer ID : Timffy

Grey Triumph Sprint 1050 ST
    Silver BMW 535D Tourer - Fully loaded 340BHP 700NM torque
    2009 8P3 S3 Brilliant Red - Sold
    2001 F/L S3 Dolphin Grey - Sold
    1999 Pre F/L Silver A3 1.8T - Sold

Status
    yea those are the gash ones Tim! the pad guide pins arn't wide enough to take the 25mm disc as standard, so you have to trim them down.

the pistons in them are also only 28 and 30mm, as opposed to 36 and 40mm in the 996 fronts. the rear calipers give an incredibly hard pedal feel, with similar power to a 312mm setup with standard calipers.

I've also been told that they're incredible prone to fade, much like the standard brakes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast